Maxus or SX3

barrold

Evening all

To cure the depression of the season ending i've decided to get rid of the old pump and invest in a semi auto. I've wittled it down to either an SX3 composite or a maxus duck blind. The gun will be used on the foreshore and for pigeons and the occassional practise session on the clays so it will need to cope with a range of loads from 21 ounce for the clays to 3 1/2 mags for the geese

I'm struggling trying to decide between them, i can get the SX3 slightly cheaper but i like the features of the maxus with its speed loading and it looks easier to break down for cleaning. However i've heard that the camo peels from them through time.

Also the SX3 has a sort of silver barrel and action and i'm not sure how it will cope on the salt marsh.

Does anyone have either of the above and could offer me some advice? From the reviews they both look like great reliable guns

Cheers in advance for any advice

Silver Grey SX3 for me as well. I think it's just completed its third season maybe even its fourth I can't remember but either way its never missed a beat. Cycles everything and no issues with corrosion on the shore, in truth I'm not the best at cleaning it after each trip.if I'm out again the next day it tends to get left. Easy to strip and maintain. Can't think of anything I'd swap it for despite having a few Maxus owning friends who seem to think their gun is better!!

Grey SX3 for me too, completely corrosion resistant and the grey coating is will not flake or chip. As above i know some one with the black SX3 and he has corrosion issues after 4 months use.

I was worried about the grey SX3 looking out of place on the marsh but it really doesn't, and mine normally ends up caked in mud anyway :lol:

Lads, cheers for all the replies. To answer a few

With regards to the loading/unloading i seen a clip with the maxus were you can load without operating the bolt and you can stop the magazine so you can empty the chamber and load a single cartridge. Not sure if the SX3 does this

Motty, the main reasons for picking these two are mainly price also my Dad shoots an SX3 which i like the look of and also shoot pretty well with. I've also had a go with a maxus which i enjoyed shooting and i've always been abit of a browning fan. My first gun being an ultra GT before swapping onto SBS. I will be going for new (It needs to last me years as i'm tight as a ducks ***)

There seems to be alot of praise for the SX3, i occasionally shoot with a fat old bloke when he gets out of bed early enough. He shoots an SX2 and ensures me its a good gun however i've not seen it get alot of use. Maybe Big Matt has seen it used but i very much doubt it. :lol:

Just had a glance at the versa max, first impressions look good. I'll have to dig up some info on it

I'm preserving my sx2 for such a time I don't have to nurse you to the hot spots and stick you under the birds baz. Remember those duck when I took you and James the first time. Won't mention woodcock.

The sun was in my eyes mate :lol:

With regards to the loading/unloading i seen a clip with the maxus were you can load without operating the bolt and you can stop the magazine so you can empty the chamber and load a single cartridge. Not sure if the SX3 does this

Motty, the main reasons for picking these two are mainly price also my Dad shoots an SX3 which i like the look of and also shoot pretty well with. I've also had a go with a maxus which i enjoyed shooting and i've always been abit of a browning fan. My first gun being an ultra GT before swapping onto SBS. I will be going for new (It needs to last me years as i'm tight as a ducks ***)

There seems to be alot of praise for the SX3, i occasionally shoot with a fat old bloke when he gets out of bed early enough. He shoots an SX2 and ensures me its a good gun however i've not seen it get alot of use. Maybe Big Matt has seen it used but i very much doubt it. :lol:

This old fat man has used his SX2 even less than the one you are refering to :lol: :lol:

The SX3 can do this too.

Edited by aister