simvastatin

besty57

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please please please don't read about medication online. And definitely don't let it sway your decision to take a drug or not. Speak to your pharmacist or GP.

Right then...

Simvastatin is the most widely prescribed statin in the UK. Yes it's cheap but that doesn't detract from the fact that by lowering cholesterol cardiac risk factors plummet.

Side effects are uncommon but the main thing to look out for is unexplained muscle weakness/soreness. Tell your GP and he/she will try you on another type of statin, there are a few.

Also avoid grapefruit juice and if you're given antibiotics then let the pharmacist know because some types may need you to stop the statin for a period of time.

Taking it at night has nothing to do with side effects. The body makes cholesterol overnight so it stands to reason that the tablet is best taken at night (though not clinically proven for all statins strangely).

Doses range from 10mg to 80mg daily but most are on 40mg as this the most clinically beneficial dose. Patients on certain heart tablets may only take 20mg but this is now common practice.

Hope this is of some help.

Joe

I was on simvastatin for many years. If you'd asked me during that time if I suffered any side-effects I'd have said, "Not at all". However, for some reason- can't recall why- I stopped taking it for a spell. The effect was pretty astonishing. I felt as if somebody had turned a light on. I hadn't been aware of it but they'd been causing low-level depression. I haven't taken simva- or any other statin since. Cholesterol level has gone up from 3.4 in July 09 when I was on the simvastatin to an average of 4.8 over the period from then till now. I wouldn't go back on them and I haven't been offered any other statin at my 6-monthly diabetic clinic visits. But as people have been saying, it seems to vary greatly from one person to another.

Interesting topic this as I strated taking the same low dose a few weeks ago and was intending to post for views but hadn't got round to it.

As most have said here already, they are better than the possible repercussions of not taking them and if you suffer from side effects, your GP can try another version.

I must admit I do get some side effects but they're not overwhelming and I could put them down to an age thing too. For me it's aching calfs and feet!

The web can suggest some severe effects but these are worst case scenarios and of course remember that side effects are not compulsory.

I was told to avoid grapefruit................

Best of luck with them and thanks for bringing the topic up.

Regards

took simvastatin for 1 week 40mg , my fore-arms and hands really ached by the 3rd day.

now on fenofibrates -- lipantil 267mg

anybody else use these , would be interested to hear of any side effects etc good or bad

I spent nearly six months on fenofibrates (160mg 2x a day) and it was hell on earth. Fatigue, zero energy and feeling naffed off the whole time.

Now on a lower dose of a different sort and it's fine. I would not care to repeat that six months ever!

If you start feeling fatigue get back to the GP as soon as.

I spent nearly six months on fenofibrates (160mg 2x a day) and it was hell on earth. Fatigue, zero energy and feeling naffed off the whole time.

Now on a lower dose of a different sort and it's fine. I would not care to repeat that six months ever!

If you start feeling fatigue get back to the GP as soon as.

maybe thats why i feel shagged all the time

whats the other med called , is it still a fenofibrate

cheers

maybe thats why i feel shagged all the time

whats the other med called , is it still a fenofibrate

cheers

I know how you feel bud, it's horrid. See the GP mate ASAP.

Yes it is a Fenofibrate but it's Lipantil 67mgs (twice a day) - you could ask them for that. Do you have high Triglycerides then?

Plus 5mg Rosuvastatin and some Industrial strength Omega 3's.

Last test was AOK normal.

I'm in my early 40's but mine's (mostly ;))hereditary.

well ive had 3. 20mg.tablets since monday and i must say im starting to have some side effects.ankles knees elbows and wrists are all

aching also ratty as hell today.

i will take a 4th one tonight and if i feel the same tomorrow i shall be ringing my gp

to ask if theres an alternrtive to these

atb

alan

I know how you feel bud, it's horrid. See the GP mate ASAP.

Yes it is a Fenofibrate but it's Lipantil 67mgs (twice a day) - you could ask them for that. Do you have high Triglycerides then?

Plus 5mg Rosuvastatin and some Industrial strength Omega 3's.

Last test was AOK normal.

I'm in my early 40's but mine's (mostly ;))hereditary.

yep its lipantil i am on but the 267mg size :sad1: .i,d not really thought about side effects of feeling tired but suppose it could be the meds.

maybe i came come down a bit now , i was on 200mg to start , very high tri's ( to do with the way my liver functions ) , last blood test showed i was spot on 4.2 cholesterol and 0.9 triglycerides

i may get it reviewed