Why I Will Never Shoot A Hare

The Ghost

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A rabbit sounds like a smaller one

Sorry mate but a rabbit squeal sounds nothing like a hare cry IMO...I will never shoot one ever again but if you can put up with the hollering of the hare and you shoot to eat,then best of luck,it's just not for me that's all.

ATB

When I was a child growing up in The North West we had loads of Hare & rabbit.

I never thought in my lifetime I would say "They have been wiped out" mostly by dogs.

It may be the fact I have moved to The Fens and don't want the same thing to happen here that stops me pulling the trigger.

I never knew so many people shared the same view as I do, to those who don't I wish you no ill feelings.

I saw a field of about 50-60 Greylag Geese this morning about 1/2 mile from my house....Life is just not fair 20 yards away from me

a hare might look similar to a rabbit to the untrained eye but they are a totally different animal :whistling:

I agree Andrew...the eye would have to be extremely untrained to not be able to tell the difference,a Hare is a different animal not only by its looks but by the way it lives its life,Rabbits are half the size and not Brown in colour,Hares also live above ground and can be solitary animals,the cry of the Hare is so different and so sad to hear.in S.Wales we don't see them sitting out in little communities like the Rabbits do however,I was driving up the A1 this week and saw about 8 hares in a field jumping about chasing one another,I assumed this was down to their mating behaviour though.

ATB

I do shoot and eat hares but not to the point of ridding them completely.

I will leave them be untill later on in the fall now.

Sometimes it's nice just to watch them rather than shoot them.

IMO Conservation is the name of the game so well done fella,can't understand some individuals who have to go out and kill anything and everything they see or what their dogs bolt,it's beyond me,I have always been in the mind set that if I have no room in the freezer I will not take the quarry,leave to enjoy for another day however,if the farmer asks me if I have shot any rabbits,even when i dont want too I just tell him "yes"and that I left them at my fox feed station,on occasions I vary my shooting with Barn ratting and Squirrel Drey bashing,just gives the permission a rest.ATB

CHM

• 2 weeks later...

For me it would depend on area and numbers! I have alot of respect for hares and i do love to watch buck (competing) for a mate! Its magic! But i do love jugged hare on.my plate aswell! I guess we all have our thoughts on the hare some will alway shoot at them , some never, and then theres me, il taje one occasionally! Never the lesd they held in high regard by me, magnificent!

Iv been thinning out loads of hares on a big farm of my mates. It's now got to the point where ill be stopping shooting them for a few years and let the numbers grow. Strange how you can wipe them out quick when you set to. Had some really really big ones over this summer and last. Made fine eating!

Hopefully will have some to thin out on his birds farm soon, fingers crossed! :-)

Yup, kill it, cook it, eat it. I love hare in a casserole (posh stew) done in a slow cooker. Or curried. Nom Nom Nom.

The only times I won't shoot one is when I've no room in the freezer or if I've just shot a couple I'll leave the rest for another day.

Unfortunately leaving them alone is not an option due to dogmen poaching the land. It's the usual no hares=no dogmen.

Sorry mate but a rabbit squeal sounds nothing like a hare cry IMO...I will never shoot one ever again but if you can put up with the hollering of the hare and you shoot to eat,then best of luck,it's just not for me that's all.

ATB

here are a couple of pics of a hare which was rescued from infront of a mower on a racecourse,he was a day or two old at the time,he's now nearly 2yrs old,

Picture216.jpg

Picture218.jpg

ABCD0006.jpg

ABCD0002-1.jpg

Picture323.jpg

2011-12-20070209.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

DaveK ----LI? Now rifles?

I like hate but depends on the shoot, been on a shoot where they are common and taken one for the pot but also shoot on farms where they are scarce and leave them well alone.

Yes their cry is upsetting unless there is something wring with you then you can see the terror as you close in to despatch, nothing like a rabbit.

Cheers Andrew now the mrs wants a blimmin pet hare lol!!!!

Superb photis

• 2 weeks later...

Suppose it depend on what you have plenty of, on the ground. They can be a pest and when there are 00's they do lots of damage and need sorting. In Ireland hares are mostly taboo when it comes to shooting. As the old country saying goes 'that's another man's sport'. I personally would n't shoot a hare as there are not massive numbers in my area. I love to see them in the fields and enjoy watching the huntsmen and their hounds. So I leave any hares for these country men and they leave the other animals for other country men.

Suppose it depend on what you have plenty of, on the ground. They can be a pest and when there are 00's they do lots of damage and need sorting. In Ireland hares are mostly taboo when it comes to shooting. As the old country saying goes 'that's another man's sport'. I personally would n't shoot a hare as there are not massive numbers in my area. I love to see them in the fields and enjoy watching the huntsmen and their hounds. So I leave any hares for these country men and they leave the other animals for other country men.

and the funny bit being your countrymen act the same over here and result in many having to shoot hares to reduce their visits