Why I Will Never Shoot A Hare

The Ghost

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree and we have quite a few up here too. I shoot them with shotgun and rimfire and the last dog I had (ESS) pegged quite a few in her time.

I have a gwp talented at that, won't chase but if they sit tight she will stalk and pick them up. Fortunately our keepers spaniel is just as good at it

We used to have Hare drives many years ago,but numbers have dwindled dramatically on our land now due to what was arable being turned over to sheep and beef.What didn't help was a bout of poaching a couple of years ago following Fair week.

We still see the odd one about but we don't shoot them;landowner is in Stewardship Entry level so they are left alone.

Andrewluke, they are some of the best pictures ever. Just showed my mrs and she loved them too :good:

Nice Andrew , I use to live in Pencoed when first married and shot on a farm called Cwmisca (i think) the owner was Tom (cant recall surname) most hares i seen in wales ,

i spent more time watching the wildlife there than shooting ,moved with work to where i am now , not seen a hare here in thirty years but bit north of me to Brecon and we

use to to see them now and again , beautifull creatures almost mythical .

Nice Andrew , I use to live in Pencoed when first married and shot on a farm called Cwmisca (i think) the owner was Tom (cant recall surname) most hares i seen in wales ,

i spent more time watching the wildlife there than shooting ,moved with work to where i am now , not seen a hare here in thirty years but bit north of me to Brecon and we

Well well well...I grew up with Tom Richards and his brother Dilwyn on Cwmrisca,baling the hay etc etc and still shoot the Llangynwyd mountains as I am very friendly with all the farmers who,s grounds meet up at the mountains I'm sure you must know where I am talking about,there as always been numerous hares up there but their numbers took a nose dive some 15-20 years ago but I am happy to say that they are now flourishing albeit so are the poachers.!!!

Talking about wildlife,the Red Kites have now also settled in at the woodland in the valley owned by Cwmrisca and they are being watched regularly by a group of twitchers who I got chatting to whilst out walking with the dogs,there are also a number of Deer who,s numbers have realy increased over the years,all the old guys I knew dont stalk them anymore,maybe it's an old age thing.

I can tell you something that you would find hard to believe......do you remember that clip on the welsh news about an eagle being spotted in the Llynfi valley and surrounding areas?well, whilst spending an early evening in the wooded valley at Cwmrisca with my new spaniel pup,I sat under an overhanging Oaktree on the edge of the wood enjoying the tranquil sounds of the surrounding bird singing when all of a sudden I could hear this Buzzard going ape**** and the squalling seemed to be getting loader and closer anyway something caught the corner of my eye and I turned to look and there not 5 metres away was the big Eagle sat on a branch looking around him,I kept as quiet as I could enjoying his company when the Buzzard swooped it and it flew off,I went up to the spot several times a week for a month and the Eagle was nowhere to be seen,I often wonder what happened to it.Anyway that's enough from me although I could go on forever it seems lol.!We may have met over the years..did you know Alan Howe and Denver Thomson? both committed shooters years ago and good friends of mine.

ATB

Mal

Welshwizard if you lived in Pencoed,I used to have all the shooting rights to Coed y Mwstwr Farm then owned by Watkin Leyshon it's the land whereas if you come onto the M4 Jct 35 West and you look upto your left you see a band of woodland about 40acres or so it's where King Arthur was alledged to be buried in the caves there(pot holers paradise)we bred pheasants there too,two of my mates still have the rights now but the farm is now under both son in laws Neil and Jeff,i also shot at Mal Summers farm (poor chap lost his wife last year)over the years,good ground up there had some realy good results every time we went,wether it be with the dogs or after roosting pigeons....Just hope you weren't the poacher I fought with on an early frosty January morning .lol.!But thats another story..!

ATB

Mal long