Fourtrak or Trooper?

thepasty

Hi guys

I'm currently using our family car as my shooting vehicle, in short its getting wrecked and I'd like to be able to go off road on the farm tracks etc rather than having to carry all my clobber around.

I've got about £1500 to splurge on a shooting wagon and have narrowed the choice down to a Fourtrak or a Isuzu Trooper.

I prefer the Fourtrak in looks and they come highly regarded with not bad running costs for a 4x4, the Trooper is more readily available with plenty of choice, is a decent bit bigger with loads more room inside, has four doors so more family friendly (camping trips or whatever) but is more expensive to run and isnt as reliable as the Fourtrak.... the vehicle may be used for moving people in a new venture I'm looking at so the extra space of the Trooper is a big plus... altho both have 7 seats 7 people and all there gear would be very cramped in a Fourtrak!

Have any of you guys owned either and can add anything good or bad to my thought soup?

Which would you go for?

Cheers

Steve

hi mate ive had 3 fourtrax and didnt have any mechanical problems at all,the biggest problem is rust with them .i got a imported on didnt have speck of rust on it i waxoiled it inside panels and everywhere underneath and it stayed mint only sold it to buy hilux twincab as i needed a pickup .my fourtrack pulled many 4x4s out the mud that where stuck upto axles without spinning a wheel put right tyres on and it will climb a mountain

My dad had a 3.1 trooper and was a nice motor, he bought it off a mate who had it from new. In the end it did 180,000 miles with no faults, it was serviced every 5000 miles so that probably helped. He sold it for a newer truck but the only problem was needing a couple of patches in the rear chassis rails. Out of the two the Isuzu sounds the better option for you they are not unreliable at all and I would be surprised if it did much lower mpg than the fourtrack. My dad got 24mpg which was mainly short journeys round the country lanes and towing it returned a lot better mpg than my terrano.

Fourtrak deffo. I've got one. Run it on veg oil so saves a fortune (no mods needed to car at all) it pulls well and as said before will tow anything. Ride a bit bumpy and not the biggest inside. But looks good and very reliable. But rust is the big one look at sills inner and outer, floor behind front seats, rear wheel well and boot floor. But if you've got a mig they are very easy to strip and weld.

Oil needs to be changed every 6 months and fuel filter if on veg oil. I've put grabber at2 on size 255 70 15 and it looks the dogs. You should get a half tidy one for your budget, but minters are the other side of 3k

Troopers go for big money.

How about a Shogun my 1997 LWB has all the toys leather cruise.

It has 2WD---4WD---4WD LOW---Transmission lock---Diff lock.

2.8 TD Manual it dose 25 around town 33 on a run. And loads of room.

It has a massive sun roof that is great for lamping and shooting.

There is one for sale in off topic today.

I had a fourtrak before it got nicked.

Great motor, built like a tank with an engine to match - you could tow a train with one. However, I notice you mention camping trips - you can get quite a bit in a fourtrak, but not THAT much. When we used to go camping it was a couple of trips to get everyone there with all the kit (there were 4 of us).

So, if you want a rugged, go anywhere motor, think fourtrak, but if you want to carry a great deal, either look elsewhere or be prepared to get a trailer.

I have a Vauxhall Monterey (trooper) mechanically they have good reps and I do all the work myself. Fuel wise these can also be run on veg oil and are very capable off road.

They tow like trains and with 3 kids, the dog shooting and fishing they are brilliant. The fourtrak will probably be a little small. (I looked at them too)

A family member is an engineer at one of the large theme parks and they have one as a "feed the animals" run around. Its has 400,000 on the clock and still going strong. Mine has leather,aircon and a full electric pack which in a "96" model is nice. 4wd hi+lo

Personally the 3.1 TD is the better engine. The 3.0 l had a lot of recalls on them.

A vote for the trooper here !

Edited by mpk

Had both;

ftrak.jpg

24082010896.jpg

Both very, very capable trucks.

If you go for the fourtrak space will be limited, trooper has bags of room and then some :rolleyes:

I have no experience of coil sprung fourtraks, but supposed to be ok.

Any Jap truck will out last, out perform and get you out of more poop than a lawn rover ever will. :ninja:

Currently running the Monterey above, just a rebadged trooper, V6 3.2, purrs like a tiger.

And it will rip the poop out of the local ****roen saxo kiddies !!!!

Edited by C00KIE

Had both;

ftrak.jpg

24082010896.jpg

Both very, very capable trucks.

If you go for the fourtrak space will be limited, trooper has bags of room and then some :rolleyes:

I have no experience of coil sprung fourtraks, but supposed to be ok.

Any Jap truck will out last, out perform and get you out of more poop than a lawn rover ever will. :ninja:

Currently running the Monterey above, just a rebadged trooper, V6 3.2, purrs like a tiger.

And it will rip the poop out of the local ****roen saxo kiddies !!!!

Loving the front which/nudge bar is that custom made? Got a few things to do to mine this summer......can't be asked when its cold.

Got roof rack/basket, spots, dog guard and green paint planned for this year !

And I should probably clean it at some point.

Edited by mpk

thanks guys, I was all go on the Trooper until I started seeing issues with all the engines bar the 3.1 and even that has very short service intervals and needs to be kept serviced or all kinds of nasty things go pop, buying in my price range would be a real lottery as few trucks of that age will have a sound service history.

thoughts?

What other options are there? I dont want to go landrover route as they're either expensive or rust buckets, I'd like a Jap or the like.

I'm a member of itocuk - isuzu trooper owners club. Have a look on there mate it should answer a few questions.

I don't really pay a lot of attention about the diesel engine side of things but the guys on there are well qualified to tell you all.

Loving the front which/nudge bar is that custom made? Got a few things to do to mine this summer......can't be asked when its cold.

Cheers mate, the winch bumper is from a shogun, 25 quid off ebay. Sadly that's now sold on and i got a stainless wrap around bar.

It's running 33 inch tyres with a 2 inch suspension lift and torsion bar twist. Big bore side exit exhaust with 1 box, auto box and oh an Lpg conversion. 69p a litre makes the 13 miles per gallon easier to handle

To be honest all trucks for the sort of money will be a bit of a gamble to get the life out the engines they all really need the oil changing every 5/6000 miles regardless what the dealers say. The 3.1 trooper would be the one to go for the engines are pretty much bomb proof and have lots of power, I used my dads a few time for towing and it was better than my old terrano and just as good if not better than my 300tdi discovery.

If you get a good Isuzu it won't disappoint, just make sure the cambelt has been done as this is an expensive job as you basically need to remove the entire front of the truck.

Cheers mate, the winch bumper is from a shogun, 25 quid off ebay. Sadly that's now sold on and i got a stainless wrap around bar.

It's running 33 inch tyres with a 2 inch suspension lift and torsion bar twist. Big bore side exit exhaust with 1 box, auto box and oh an Lpg conversion. 69p a litre makes the 13 miles per gallon easier to handle

Nice

Troopers are really really capable. There abit **** on fuel but have LOADS more ground clearance than a four track, loads more room inside and there pretty cheap, and you don't need to chase tin worm around and back again.

Whilst my l200 was being built I used to rob my mates offroad prepped trooper for lamping, only time Iv got it stuck was when I threw it into some sloppy mud upto the doors.

Theres also plenty of shoguns around, how are they for reliability and running costs? A mate of mine had a mitsy a few years back and by the time he sold it he had paid the same he bought it from in very expensive parts like sensors that kept going wrong.

I've done some more searching this morning and found what seems to be an ok truck, its not what was after originally but to be honest its the only 4x4 I could find thats fairly local which seems sound and in my budget...

MITSUBISHI SHOGUN GLS LWB Manual gearbox,1995 N reg, UK spec not import, VGC, 12 mths mot, 121k miles with full and complete service history. excellent drive.

1.jpg

He was looking for 1850 but agreed to my budget of 1500.

Thoughts or anything I should look out for when viewing?

thanks

Troopers go for big money.

How about a Shogun my 1997 LWB has all the toys leather cruise.

It has 2WD---4WD---4WD LOW---Transmission lock---Diff lock.

2.8 TD Manual it dose 25 around town 33 on a run. And loads of room.

It has a massive sun roof that is great for lamping and shooting.

There is one for sale in off topic today for a £1000 N reg.

I only give £1500 for my 97 Shogun with all the toys and Leather and its the flared arch wings model.

It pull`s like a train. Its never got stuck in mud and its a pleasure to drive.

In 18 months I have spent £350 on it. Ceramic heater plugs £100. Oil and filters changes. £50.

Rocker gasket. Front injector pump oil seal fitted £180.

I think the N reg one you are looking at is a bit over the top at £1500. £1000 to £1200 tops.

Go for the 2.8 TD. Very good reliable lump. The 2.5 TD is weak and so brakes heads and cranks.

The V6 petrol is very thirsty and can be troublesome.

MK2 on a N plate.

Goes wherever. i have never been stuck.

fuel pump rebuilt

new belts

new radiator

as new BFG A/T

oils and filters changed every 6 months.

Just over 100000miles on clock.

all in mile not it Kilometers

winter pack on it meaning body lift, dual batteries, climate control, uprated starting motor and alternator.

bad things.

hand brake light keeps coming on, easy fix as its the float in the oil reservoir. touch the float and light will go out but it comes on again after a few days.

front nearside brake is squealing

knock from front end, not always doing it but does do it after a motorway drive. told it is one of two things. egr value as this one it not blanked off. that's a very easy £5 fix or its the drivers side shaft. again it is an easy fix as parts are very easy to get hold of. if it is the drive shaft then it will be £50 for the parts and then a couple of hours with the spanners. i have just changed the boot on that side so it would sound right.

that is the only bad things on it.

Long MOT,

no tax as its under a disabled tax so that has to go back to the tax office.

i will let it go for a bargain of £1000. it has had over that spent on it in the last 18 months. tires alone where £500.

i will sort photos out later in the week as i need to wash the mud of it from the weekend.

all the best

Phil

The knock has been fixed it was just the EGR valve now sorted.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER