661 Pigeon in a Day is it still a record

The Ghost

40 years ago I learned how to feed a pond prior to duck shoots, the result was....ducks came and took the feed.

I am not saying they are the same bird as pigeon, but they both eat food.

I have seen 300+ shot by two guns as grain was loading into a silo last year.

Pigeon were feeding on sweepings and spillage, the site is less than five miles from me (Permissioned)

I have had those that don't think this is possible, I still do.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is possible but would be much easier if the four of you were to shoot different fields, I don't know the ground where you are but around here it would be very difficult to shoot 4 guns to a field without being under each others flight lines you would need at least one or two flight lines per gun and it would need to be pretty big field so one guns shooting doesn't disturb the other 3 too much, having said that it seems to me that you know what you are talking about and I wish you the best of luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I read that as well Motty, I am looking to ask him on the shoot.....I have a close friend who works for Purdey in London He would sponsor him in a heart beat.....this time next year eh!

We could do with the best shots in the country on the day, I think he could be local as well?

Fenny & Fenboy will be kept in line I think...they have only shot 300 & 220 but they were the best I could get?

I think this is him.

2013-03-16_00009.jpg

Edited by The Ghost

For one person to shoot 661 in a day you would have to shoot and kill a bird a minute for nearly 11 hours without missing don't seem possible to me,not on your own.

thats what i was thinking, some shooting that even for 2 guns. just could`nt see pigeons decoying at that rate for 11 hours, would take half that time just picking all the dead birds up?,

1 pigeon decoying in every minute for 11 hours with NO misses, sorry can`t believe that.

thats what i was thinking, some shooting that even for 2 guns. just could`nt see pigeons decoying at that rate for 11 hours, would take half that time just picking all the dead birds up?,

1 pigeon decoying in every minute for 11 hours with NO misses, sorry can`t believe that.

The record for pigeon shot by a single person is 800 in a single day, it was just up the road from me.

So it can be done, if it could happen only last year why not this year....remember we have four top shooters all with dogs.

If you build them...they will come....(George Wimpey) think positive.....if it has been done why say it can't be done...makes no sense to me?

Edited by The Ghost

Thank's for his name swiss.tony I did read the post but could not remember it.

Sound like the type of lad I need, I hope for a PM coming my way.....will keep you informed.

I emailed my mate at Purdey (Peter Allison) and asked if he would sponsor him, he said he could earn upwards of 100k a year.

I have been looking at Argentinian Dove shooting video's on the tube...they only have 80 million birds to shoot at, will try it when things pick up?

Keep you all posted...I am in Newcastle at the moment, I was out last night with Alan Shearer & Gazza as you would expect a large crowd gathered and I could here a few people saying......Who's the two lads with The Ghost!

Edited by The Ghost

How do you think I feel Matty.....I'm gutted?

I started off saying 661 could be beaten, then it went up to 701 now it's 800.

It would be nice to know what the record is then I have a target to aim for.

It's been a bad week for me, got dropped for the San Marino game....now this?

I did 135 for 308 cartridges last year. one of those first harvest suicidal days. I missed so many it was embarrassing, had i have been in the groove it could have been 250. I loved it, was knackered and will never forget it. This year will be the same, same barley field, first field cut in the area, and i know the pattern, 6 fud's down and bang bang bang all day. If you had the time you could go 14 days in a row and have a ton per day. I might just do that this year. 2 weeks of heaven to replace the winter rubbish. I would be happy to share it, its such a great little touch.

I did 135 for 308 cartridges last year. one of those first harvest suicidal days. I missed so many it was embarrassing, had i have been in the groove it could have been 250. I loved it, was knackered and will never forget it. This year will be the same, same barley field, first field cut in the area, and i know the pattern, 6 fud's down and bang bang bang all day. If you had the time you could go 14 days in a row and have a ton per day. I might just do that this year. 2 weeks of heaven to replace the winter rubbish. I would be happy to share it, its such a great little touch.

It's refreshing to get a positive post on here; This is when I was going to try for the record.

I have three sites where I believe it would be possible; but the record keeps going up all the time.

I am awaiting a PM from a local shooter and hope he can help out on the day, someone has said that the record is 800.

I have had a bad week, the girlfriend has split from Girls Aloud and I am in Newcastle trying to comfort her....it's all too much

It's refreshing to get a positive post on here; This is when I was going to try for the record.

I have three sites where I believe it would be possible; but the record keeps going up all the time.

I am awaiting a PM from a local shooter and hope he can help out on the day, someone has said that the record is 800.

I have had a bad week, the girlfriend has split from Girls Aloud and I am in Newcastle trying to comfort her....it's all too much

Get barley, its always first to go and the birds go potty. There was a thousand buzzing all day, the bang meant nothing to them. I was more or less visible and they were up at my face, almost to close to shoot. I thought i was in heaven, it was like in the dove shooting videos in argentina.

Edited by unapalomablanca

For one person to shoot 661 in a day you would have to shoot and kill a bird a minute for nearly 11 hours without missing don't seem possible to me,not on your own.

digweed fired over a thousand carts for that bag by the way, he said it on fieldsports britain 2 years ago when they filmed him shooting over rape one day, nobody expects to shoot at that many birds without missing its completley impossible, don,t care who you are or how good

Edited by yickdaz

Same here last year on Barley....madness.

I have had bad luck all week,

The other day I needed to pay a visit to the public toilet, so I found a public toilet that had two cubicles.
One of the doors was locked. So I went into the other one, closed the door, dropped my trousers and sat down.
A voice came from the cubicle next to me: "Hello mate, how are you doing?"
Although I thought that it was a bit strange, I didn't want to be rude, so I replied, "Not too bad, thanks."
After a short pause, I heard the voice again. "So, what are you up to?"
Again I answered, somewhat reluctantly, "Just having a quick poo... How about yourself?"
The next thing I heard him say was, "Sorry, mate, I'll have to call you back. I've got some **** in the cubicle next to me answering everything I say."

digweed fired over a thousand carts for that bag by the way, he said it on fieldsports britain 2 years ago when they filmed him shooting over rape one day, nobody expects to shoot at that many birds without missing its completley impossible, don,t care who you are or how good

George Digweeds record has been smashed we still need to respect what he did, but a local shooter got 800 last year as reported today on PW.

The fact you think it impossible does not matter, it is fact, is possible and did happen?

i have read the thread and heard that someone shot 800 in a day fair play to him, i never said it didn,t happen, i,m just stateing nobody can can shoot that kind of number without missing

As you will see by the very unexpected post below, my original post was what is the record. I have no reason to doubt that it is 965.

What I can't understand are the amount of shooters who pulled me to bits saying every negative thing they could think of.....It can be done.

I have had all the negative opinions I need and will look at the facts from now on 800 is the record.

If you ask the right people you will find that the present record is 965 shot near Redhill about 3yrs ago over oats..... No, I'm not saying who it is!

DaveL

Fully respect you not saying DaveL, I will check this out or get another PM on the subject.

I have had loads of backing from PW Members on trying for a good days shoot.

I hoped that lessons could be learned and passed on...this is still on!

Biggest bag to a single gun with us was 600

This was shot over a field of laid barley

Shot by a gamekeeper friend of mine who stopped shooting at 5pm due to exhaustion

Last year our clients shot 28,000 birds in just over 3 months with two other guns shooting just over 500 each

One of our best days was 980 birds with 4 guns on one field (100 acres) and one of the guns couldn't shoot and only managed 73 birds

Regards CWD

Didn't mean to put a damper on it mate just would like to read the thread on the 800 bag. I wish u luck in your goal and yea it will be hard but alot of things are hard but dont stop people trying. Keep us posted.

Thanks

matty