661 Pigeon in a Day is it still a record

The Ghost

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you start at 8 and shoot non stop till 6 you'd have to shoot 1.33 birds per minute without missing. This is not allowing for a pee, a coffee, sandwiches, making adjustments to the hide/decoys, collecting any shot or wounded birds (nobody shoots everything dead, one is four at the minimum would need dispatching humanely), a lull in birds coming in, sheer noise killing the flight line temporarily, concussion from recoil, exhaustion, having to fetch ammo, etc etc.

On a day likely to result in such huge numbers the scene amongst the decoys would be one of near biblical suffering wounded birds UNLESS you make frequent trips out to gather up. To me the marksmanship or even physical fitness required to pull this off is not the issue but quite simply the number of freely willing decoying birds that is just so unlikely. If you allow for the real life things that need to be done in between then the actual required rate of killing without missing is even higher <_< .

These numbers just get mentioned but who officiated or counted? Was it birds gathered dead at the end or guestimates based on those you know you hit which must have fallen dead later :rolleyes: ?

I don't know much about shooting record bags of birds but would suggest that if you think that a minimum of 1 in 4 birds will still need dispatching that you need to look at your shooting skills

I know the sort you mean but I can be honest and say we wouldn't tolerate this sort of client

The guns we have visit us are normally the same every year with some that have been for the last ten years

Most are Danish and are true sportsmen

I have no need to brag about the amount we shoot to try and drum up business as we are always completely sold out every year

All I am saying in my posts is it is possible on the right day and field to shoot huge bags of pigeon and 800 birds to one gun is a deffinate possibility

CWD

There's a pigeon guide who works along the A303 and he killed over ( there's an article about it somewhere) 2100 birds in one day between 3 clients of his.

Also there is 2 chaps who take foreign shooters and take over 25,000 birds in 4 months in the Midlands.

That's certainly some going. That's over 200 birds per day on average. I do find that a little hard to believe.

Funny, i would have thought i'd have heard of this before.

We took around 100 clients shot 28.000 birds last year with a daily average of 80.3 birds per person per day

One of our guns from Yorkshire had 11 days with us over the 3 months every day over 200 birds with his best day being 360

CWD

We took around 100 clients shot 28.000 birds last year with a daily average of 80.3 birds per person per day

One of our guns from Yorkshire had 11 days with us over the 3 months every day over 200 birds with his best day being 360

CWD

If that is the truth, then all i can think is that the fields are baited. There should have been numerous days with small bags.

O there were days with smaller bags but also others with huge bags giving the 80.3 bird average

I have no reason to make any of it up as anyone who knows me knows its the truth

And as for baiting fields I have never heard of anything so ridiculars

CWD

O there were days with smaller bags but also others with huge bags giving the 80.3 bird average

I have no reason to make any of it up as anyone who knows me knows its the truth

And as for baiting fields I have never heard of anything so ridiculars

CWD

Ok, then. Whereabouts does all of this shooting take place?

Our area covers many many thousands of acres with ground from derby to Birmingham

We have been doing it many years and have the full support from many farmers and land owners

If you are still in any doubt then pm me and I will give you the name and phone no of our Gamedealer who will verify all I say

CWD

Hot stuff this thread, The Ghost has a lot to answer for.... "baiting"? Back to the Scooby-doo/Defra conspiracy theory.... CWD & his game dealer better watch out, these meddling PW kids are on your case...CWD that wasn't a dig, just find it funny how this is all getting out of hand... I think Mr Moderator should close this down...

Edited by Northern Monkey

Maybe they should close it down ?

I find it hard to take sometimes when people attack you for things they don't understand

I have helped many many people without ground ,without knowledge etc.

All of this help or advice has been freely given and my only reward has been seeing a smile on someone's face when I have helped them

Sorry if I take paying clients but I also help others less fortunate

This will be my last post on this thread

CWD

Maybe they should close it down ?

I find it hard to take sometimes when people attack you for things they don't understand

I have helped many many people without ground ,without knowledge etc.

All of this help or advice has been freely given and my only reward has been seeing a smile on someone's face when I have helped them

Sorry if I take paying clients but I also help others less fortunate

This will be my last post on this thread

CWD

Chin up mate, it can Get a bit brutal on here, I find it amazing that people can draw so many conclusions on your experience & reputation from a few posts, bag sizes & authenticity seem to be a bit of a taboo on here, the safest thing is not to mention what you've had....

I'm not trying to knock anyone, but this is the second 'guide' i have seen in the last two days on this forum that seem to get huge bags all the time. The numbers quoted are very high. That's not to say that the numbers aren't achievable.

But when someone new comes on the forum with no known location and with less than 30 posts, it's understandable when people doubt the claims.

Right, or wrong, its a fact that anyone associated with selling paid shooting days that talks of very high numbers of birds shot, without providing irrefutable proof (which is almost impossible to do), is going to have their comments treated with some scepticism.

I know a lot of professional Guides and a lot of fulltime shooters, who never achieve anywhere near the numbers that are being mentioned in this thread, which is not to say that the numbers are wrong, just saying that they are very rare achievements.

I know someone who said he once shot 1000 birds in a day, but he is a liar. :)

Hot stuff this thread, The Ghost has a lot to answer for.... "baiting"? Back to the Scooby-doo/Defra conspiracy theory.... CWD & his game dealer better watch out, these meddling PW kids are on your case...CWD that wasn't a dig, just find it funny how this is all getting out of hand... I think Mr Moderator should close this down...

All I asked was "Is 661 still a record" I had no idea it would end like this.....still I think it has been a great debate.

I am well aware why this post has all of a sudden taken new life, after all it was started a month ago....I am also sure that those reading & posting on it are also aware?

This post should stay on here, we are all grown men with at times strong opinions....and most of us respect others opinions.

Anyway..I have just got back from the North East.....loads of snow but the gritters were out, so well done lads.

This topic has a distasteful edge to it judging by some of the posts. Numbers are not everything and attempting to achieve a record bag is in my opinion beyond the pale.

Pigeons are a respected quarry, one of the most testing and difficult to shoot in some circumstances. Turning the shooting of pigeons into a numbers game is plain wrong.

is it only me who can see a trend with all the new members with less than 50 post who have all joined since Christmas coming on here talking total bull **** about 800 birds shot in 5 hrs for 300 cartridges i honestly think its a few who all no each other and are drumming business up yer yer yer we have the best pigeon shooter on here called pigeon controller and he"s not got any where near that and has photos to prove it

​your talk is cheap get some photos on here or take up fishing then you can lie to your hearts content

Edited by swiss.tony

All this talk of records is tiresome. I've met liars all my life, literally hundreds of them. Most are usless at it, some very good. I have come to learn that the 'quiet' unassuming types are the ones to believe. I dont believe anything on here about 800 bird bags in the u.k.. Just rubbish. I have shot enough to know its as rare as gold in a coal mine. Some on here have been exposed as liars. The trouble with these bull ****ters is that if you believe them they make you feel inadequate or that you are doing something wrong. I believe that 300 and even 400 bags definetely happen, but not double. Maybe in Argentina, where they are bred specifically for targets. Why lie? Cant see the point.