Managing shotguns on 2 licences

My wife has just had her FEO visit for her SGC. As part of this, she's been told that because we're sharing a cabinet, all guns need to go on both certificates.

I wasn't there, so I have some questions ... Does this mean that each time we go to buy a gun, we need to have the seller complete both certificates, or can they just do one and we do the other? Also, do we need to send separate notifications to the Met for each purchase and sale, 1 for each certificate ?

My wife has just had her FEO visit for her SGC. As part of this, she's been told that because we're sharing a cabinet, all guns need to go on both certificates.

I wasn't there, so I have some questions ... Does this mean that each time we go to buy a gun, we need to have the seller complete both certificates (NO) , or can they just do one and we do the other (YES)? Also, do we need to send separate notifications to the Met for each purchase and sale, 1 for each certificate (YES)?

We have the same challenge. When the missus SGC arrived it had all my shotguns listed on hers. Since she got her cert she has bought and sold a shotgun using her cert with no updates made on mine and we have had no issues raised by the FEO on the back of both notifications.

or e-mail in the notification, on one side it makes life very easy and uncomplicated once you get your head round it.

With e-mail, I get no indication besides the item in my sent box that I ever sent it. With postage, I get the receipt that shows I posted it signed for and when it was signed for.

If they had an autoresponder (besides the one that tells you the address you mailed is wrong because we've not updated our website in months) to the e-mails to confirm receipt, I'd be a lot happier with it.

The Mrs and myself share a cabinet, we both own our own guns and they are not listed on both certs. I've spoken to my feo and double checked by phoning the local firearms office and both said there was no need to put guns on both certs.

Just shows once again the variability in legislation interpretation.

With e-mail, I get no indication besides the item in my sent box that I ever sent it. With postage, I get the receipt that shows I posted it signed for and when it was signed for.

If they had an autoresponder (besides the one that tells you the address you mailed is wrong because we've not updated our website in months) to the e-mails to confirm receipt, I'd be a lot happier with it.

ahh my e-mail keeps a sent message with a read receipt attached and our force sends a reply saying take this receipt as am acknowledgement that a notification of transfer has been received.

As far as i can see the only problem with a chaps Misssus having his shotguns on her certificate is thaty it adds them to the list of possessions that she can walk off into the sunset with (ie in in addition to the house, dog and any kids etc) if you commit any one of a range of a million offences from using ther wrong tea towel to sleaping with her sister. :lol:

surely its got to be easier to have them on both certs for the sake of an extra paragraph in an email when you buy /sell each gun - otherwise you'd technically be breaking the law if either of you went away for 4 days leaving your gun at home

Me and my dad share guns at 2 different locations in 2 cabinets all guns are on both Cerys and if we sell or buy we just do it on 1 cert then adjust the other accordingly this is what we have been told to do by feo and never had any issues

Son who has just turned 14 has just sent in hiss application for fac/,the FEO had stated that all guns(my guns) will be listed on both certs but on his certy they will be listed as shared.When he turns of age where he can purchase his own and have access, then he will have to have his own listed and his own cabinet as he will have no access to mine no me his if this makes sense.

When my mrs cert arrived a couple of months ago I was surprised to find all of my guns on it...apparently FEO had insisted. Don't see the need really.

Because you must have a valid SGC to possess the guns. If you do not then your possession of them is unlawful. You are in possession if you have access to them, which you do if you are keeping your guns in the same cabinet.

J.

As far as i can see the only problem with a chaps Misssus having his shotguns on her certificate is thaty it adds them to the list of possessions that she can walk off into the sunset with (ie in in addition to the house, dog and any kids etc) if you commit any one of a range of a million offences from using ther wrong tea towel to sleaping with her sister. :lol:

surely its got to be easier to have them on both certs for the sake of an extra paragraph in an email when you buy /sell each gun - otherwise you'd technically be breaking the law if either of you went away for 4 days leaving your gun at home

I'm not convinced that the 72 hour exemption applies in caes like this. The exemption is quite narrowly worded. It says that a gun can be loaned to another SGC holder for a period not exceeeding 72 hours without it needing to be entered on their certificate. I think that you are probably stretching the definition of 'loan' and 'lend' beyond breaking point simply by being away from home for four days and leaving your guns in a cabinet with someone elses guns. The reality of the situation is that you aren't genuinely 'loaning' them your gun, you are just expecting them to look after it for you.

J.

My son lives in London and I'm up here in Cleveland. As i live on my own since the better half died 10 years ago we decided he should apply for his SGC and FAC

He got them with the met no problem he has just had renewal last year so is on his second ticket and all my guns are listed on his tickets. It states that all guns and ammo have to be stored at my address.

I had to ring BASC about something last year as the land he can shoot on with his mate is only cleared for .22 and i take my HMR down when i go so he can have a couple of days with his mate shooting now to be on the safe side his mate contacted his feo only to be told my son could not shoot this land until passed as the Met stated the HMR was a larger caliber..

Any how while talking to the legal eagle at BASC about this i mentioned that all my guns were listed on my sons ticket. He proceeded to tell me i should not have done this as it meant i could not sell any of my guns unless my son was present and he also agreed with the sale and both tickets had to be done at the same time.. This was where i lost it and told him they were my guns and i would sell them if i wanted to.... :blush: :blush:

could not sell any of my guns unless my son was present and he also agreed with the sale and both tickets had to be done at the same time.. This was where i lost it and told him they were my guns and i would sell them if i wanted to.... :blush: :blush:

I'm a bit confused by that. My understanding is that you never ever modify your own ticket - you simply list the gun on the buyer's ticket. You then notify your local force and when your ticket is renewed, guns that you no longer own are removed at that point.

Why would your licences need to be involved in a sale beyond proof that you own the gun ?