Guns at work

Asa Bear

I am a firefighter and at work we have a recognised shooting section. I represent the brigade shooting clays so sometimes take my gun to work. I break it down and keep it part locked in my personal locker with a combination padlock and part in my vehicle. Firefighters before me have done this for @30 years, probably even more relaxed in the past. I myself have been doing this for approximately two years.

Recently my station commander of approximately 12 months has told me he is not "comfortable" with me having a gun or part of on station and has instructed me not to do this until further notice.

There is no service policy on this and it is not being applied brigade wide. I have spoken to the shooting section chairman and my union representative who are making enquiries.

What are your views on this and what is the practice in your workplace?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an air pistol in my desk drawer. I shoot tin cans when I am bored (and intimidate grads).

I also have a working scale model of a Trebuchet that use to fire projectiles across the floor.

We are fairly laid back about these sorts of things in India. :) I wouldn't do it in London.

I think he said that there is no rule that says he cannot do what he's done for two years.

The union will sort it or you can all down tools - one out, all out !

Just waiting now for someone to mention it could be useful for cats stuck up trees :no:

ATB

I am a firefighter and at work we have a recognised shooting section. I represent the brigade shooting clays so sometimes take my gun to work. I break it down and keep it part locked in my personal locker with a combination padlock and part in my vehicle. Firefighters before me have done this for @30 years, probably even more relaxed in the past. I myself have been doing this for approximately two years.

Recently my station commander of approximately 12 months has told me he is not "comfortable" with me having a gun or part of on station and has instructed me not to do this until further notice.

There is no service policy on this and it is not being applied brigade wide. I have spoken to the shooting section chairman and my union representative who are making enquiries.

What are your views on this and what is the practice in your workplace?

What happens about security whilst you out on the run ?

For years, our local station would turn out when the bells went off and the place would be empty, doors open.

Then, sadly one year there was incidents at a few stations where thefts occurred from fire stations when they were out on a shout.

We have a force clay club and i regularly take part in their inter service competitions but I plan around the competitions and try to not have the hassle of taking the gun to work. It's not an issue if I do as we have a large armory but as i said I try to avoid it.

You could try explaining that you are representing the service etc but is it worth getting on the wrong side of your commander for?

Edited by Livefast123

we aren't actually talking a gun though surely leave the barrels in the car locked in the boot and just take in the stock and forend in a holdall and lock them in the locker. I wouldn't actually be telling anyone I was doing it and just keeping it subtle

I sometimes leave from work after a night shift to a shoot or return from a shoot to work a night. I live 20 miles away from my station so not always convenient to pop home.

It's never been a problem with previous station commanders/managers/officers in years gone by. I never broadcast that I've got a gun with me but everybody knows I shoot.

Other lads at other stations within my brigade are still doing the same. I think it's more a personal thing from my station commander.

could you not have a small gun cabinet bolted in the back of your car to keep it safe it is not simple to steel cars today like it used to be so it should be quite safe there.

I have a van vault in the back of my van that the main part of my gun is locked in but the SC is not happy with this.

What happens about security whilst you out on the run ?

For years, our local station would turn out when the bells went off and the place would be empty, doors open.

Then, sadly one year there was incidents at a few stations where thefts occurred from fire stations when they were out on a shout.

Fair point but they'd have to break into the correct locker in sixty then the correct vehicle in the yard for the remainder of the gun.

It's a privilege to take weapons to work I'd have thought, some of you seem to have the opinion that its your given right in order to make it easier for you!!

If you love shooting as much as me an extra couple of miles drive to keep you weapons and your licence are worth it surely!

Royal

It's a privilege to take weapons to work I'd have thought, some of you seem to have the opinion that its your given right in order to make it easier for you!!

If you love shooting as much as me an extra couple of miles drive to keep you weapons and your licence are worth it surely!

Royal

It's not just a matter of a couple of miles drive. It's more the timing and punctuality.

Royal,

I don't think it's my right to have my gun at work to make my life easier. I only do it IF I need to leave early for a shoot or get back to work promptly after a shoot.

As it stands I won't be able to shoot some of the clay meets as work comes first obviously.

I take mine to the station when needs must, but dont advertise the fact to anyone!

I have it locked into the rear of my truck in a manner I am satisfied would make it as difficult as it would be to take it from the house in the safe. So if you fit decent protection in your vehicle why not leave it there when on duty? It is unlikely your vehicle will be targeted in the station car park, especially when the station is occupied and we all know that our time spent saving cats from trees is becoming less and less these days :good:

If SC says no gun in the station I wouldnt even bother questioning it as there will only be one winner and it wont be you :whistling: