Guns at work

Asa Bear

I take mine to the station when needs must, but dont advertise the fact to anyone!

I have it locked into the rear of my truck in a manner I am satisfied would make it as difficult as it would be to take it from the house in the safe. So if you fit decent protection in your vehicle why not leave it there when on duty? It is unlikely your vehicle will be targeted in the station car park, especially when the station is occupied and we all know that our time spent saving cats from trees is becoming less and less these days :good:

If SC says no gun in the station I wouldnt even bother questioning it as there will only be one winner and it wont be you :whistling:

SC says no gun on station property. So not even secured in my van vault in the back of my van. ???

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SC says no gun on station property. So not even secured in my van vault in the back of my van. ???

I'd suggest what they don't know won't hurt them and can't see why they would have any right to access your personal vehicle to check.

as for being safe in the car park is anything ever safe?

http://www.herts.police.uk/hertfordshire_constabulary/latest_news/news_articles/050313_-_2381.aspx

I'd suggest what they don't know won't hurt them and can't see why they would have any right to access your personal vehicle to check.

as for being safe in the car park is anything ever safe?

http://www.herts.police.uk/hertfordshire_constabulary/latest_news/news_articles/050313_-_2381.aspx

Unfortunately they do know and in the current climate it's not a risk I'm prepared to take. It would definitely have been the best approach for the SC to have taken IMO and probably was of previous SCs. I've just got a jobsworth now who likes to make a point.

But how would he know it was in your car??? Say nothing, he has no right to search your vehicle and the FBU will support this. When you are going shooting make sure you mention that you are just heading to your mates house to uplift your gun, problem solved as he cant possible know if your lying or not. I really dont see what the fuss is about mate.

I quite often take mine to the station, but I leave it in the pick up around the back! I would feel more comfortable with it being in my locker etc but I don't think my SM would be so keen. I've looked through the service orders and like you said it's never mentioned. I don't think they would like it being in the grounds at all. Where my gun is, is never mentioned! Even when I walk out with breeks on after a night shift! Haha

Edited by Shoot-rhino

But how would he know it was in your car??? Say nothing, he has no right to search your vehicle and the FBU will support this. When you are going shooting make sure you mention that you are just heading to your mates house to uplift your gun, problem solved as he cant possible know if your lying or not. I really dont see what the fuss is about mate.

I know he's got no right to search my van but now he's said I can't have a gun on the premises it'd be just my luck to have my van nicked from the yard and then be disciplined for disobeying this little ****

I quite often take mine to the station, but I leave it in the pick up around the back! I would feel more comfortable with it being in my locker etc but I don't think my SM would be so keen. I've looked through the service orders and like you said it's never mentioned. I don't think they would like it being in the grounds at all. Where my gun is, is never mentioned! Even when I walk out with breeks on after a night shift! Haha

I had that luxury for a while. Now I've got a muppet in charge.

Yeh I'd be in the **** for losing half a gun with both the police and fire! :lol:

LFs will have white hats soon so it's not that exclusive!

Seriously?? 1st I've heard that one! You must be an old timer with LF! CM's!! Bet you still say RTA's!!! ;)

Seriously?? 1st I've heard that one! You must be an old timer with LF! CM's!! Bet you still say RTA's!!! ;)

It's a suggestion in our brigade. The WCs are going to be more office based to take some of the workload from the SC (ie where F Fs are allowed to park and where they can't keep their shotguns) they're already in white shirts and lids the CCs will follow.

I've only done 13 years but it feels like 30 with the **** we've been through lately.

I do still say RTA though and you're all muppets to me. :P

Edited by Logo

I know he's got no right to search my van but now he's said I can't have a gun on the premises it'd be just my luck to have my van nicked from the yard and then be disciplined for disobeying this little ****

I had that luxury for a while. Now I've got a muppet in charge.

A muppet that half of PW seem to agree with? If the suggestion of the police for an overnight stay is to split the gun, secure half to the bath and not leave the room how does leaving half in a locker (not a gun cabinet) and going out on a shout seem appropriate?

I would imagine the station boss is asking (demanding) a reasonable request and we need to consider the world is changing and follow the guidelines / appreciate that priveledges (sp?) we're given aren't always permanent.

So then Logo, you're unhappy with a perfectly reasonable decision from a senior workmate. You now regard him as a muppet.

You have involved the union that you belong to.

This may well lead to ALL your colleagues from other stations being prevented from storing their weapons at work whether through official or personnal permission.

If the person that told you not to bring a weapon on to brigade property decides to make a case of it surely it wouldn't be worth losing your job for!

So then Logo, you're unhappy with a perfectly reasonable decision from a senior workmate. You now regard him as a muppet.

You have involved the union that you belong to.

This may well lead to ALL your colleagues from other stations being prevented from storing their weapons at work whether through official or personnal permission.

If the person that told you not to bring a weapon on to brigade property decides to make a case of it surely it wouldn't be worth losing your job for!

ALL employees should be treated the same. If it means my colleagues being prevented from storing their weapons so be it. It seems it's a scenario approved by most responding to this thread so must be acceptable.

However there still exists the prospect of my SC falling in line with the other half dozen or so SCs that allow this practice. :hmm:

How might I lose my job? If you feel something is wrong you can challenge it you know. We don't live in a dictatorship just yet.

Edited by Logo

A muppet that half of PW seem to agree with? If the suggestion of the police for an overnight stay is to split the gun, secure half to the bath and not leave the room how does leaving half in a locker (not a gun cabinet) and going out on a shout seem appropriate?

I would imagine the station boss is asking (demanding) a reasonable request and we need to consider the world is changing and follow the guidelines / appreciate that priveledges (sp?) we're given aren't always permanent.

Does your boss tell you what you are allowed to carry in your vehicle?

On his premises, yes. I work in a highly regulated industry with security and electric fences around head office. It's 200 miles from home. I don't take my gun to the office and make plans around it.

Could they search my car? Not sure. Would I let them if they asked. Yes, I have nothing to hide.

ALL employees should be treated the same. If it means my colleagues being prevented from storing their weapons so be it. It seems it's a scenario approved by most responding to this thread so must be acceptable.

However there still exists the prospect of my SC falling in line with the other half dozen or so SCs that allow this practice. :hmm:

How might I lose my job? If you feel something is wrong you can challenge it you know. We don't live in a dictatorship just yet.

You might lose your job if having been told not to keep the weapon on brigade property, you then decide to ignore the request and are found out!

How right you are about not living in a dictatorship just yet.

You used your right to enquire of the P.W.membership and the vast majority of replies seem to be saying that they feel you are the one who is being unreasonable.

I will sometimes take my Rifle(s) to work with me. I lock them in a cupboard that only i have the key for. The bolts and ammo stay with me at all times.

When i get to my hotel, they go in with me in a plain back case and stay in the room with me until next morning.

If i need to stop for a comfort break on the way home, i only do it on the petrol forecourt and take my bag with bolt and ammo in with me ( it looks like a normal rucksack).