3.0 Troopers

Guest rimotu66

Guest rimotu66

Whats the score with the 3.0ltr Trooper? I have been offered one as a swap for my BMW but every other one on ebay seems to be spares or repairs, Ive read the hype and wanted to hear from actual owners experiances.

I maintain one for my stepson & its only given normal probs:rusted exhaust,fuel tank brake pads etc.Having said that there are a number of known issues: http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/ worth a look. Easy enough to work on but diagnostics a pain unless you have a tech 2 with isuzu software.Only issue I've had was renewing glow plugs:bottled it & only replaced 2 out of 4,knew the other 2 would neck off giving me a large unpaid job but fortunately starts OK with 2.Common known issues are ORPS (oil rail pressure) sensor,injectors & oil pick up pipe amongst others.Personally I prefer the earlier 3.1 diesel,less powerful but more reliable

As far as i know you get still get all the recalls done, they had injector problems but if you get a good one they are a powerful engine. Ive known a few people to have injector problems with them but then again ive known a few that have been no trouble what so ever.

Citation spec are really nice, if you are looking at an earlier one also look for rot around the back end, this was where the older ones used to corrode.

Guest rimotu66

Well I went and did the deal, 1999 lwb Trooper, new engine fitted in 07 by Isuzu (reciepts to prove and I rang IM to confirm) and it had the latest batch of injectors fitted in 2010 (again by IM) I have got to take it in for another recall on the throttle position sensor and will be getting it serviced and cam belt done at the same time, fingers crossed I havnt got a minger :lol:

Just remember they never really sorted the problem, I had a new 51 plate, engine went bang at 30k they fitted a new one and it went 10k later! 3rd engine lasted for ever. Secret is to dip the oil on a regular basis to make sure the level isn't rising (they leak fuel past the injectors) When it reaches the sump breather it sucks up the fuel oil mix and runs on it. until the engine explodes.

Guest rimotu66

Well I hav e been well and truley shafted yet again, the bloody thing didnt want to start this morning, when it did it cut out twice within 2 miles of home, just managed to get it back in my drive. Its going on ebay as spares/repairs. :sad1:

Guest rimotu66

Thanks owain but this truck has other issues and I just cant afford to spend any money on it, I have been reading a lot of threads on the trooper owners club website and wish I had read them before swapping my trusty old BMW for this pile of ****. I got ripped of last year with a td5 disco and lost a lot of money and do not want to go down the same route with this, looks like my money for a .243 will be going on another car.

You should have gone for that Shogun in Gloucester it looked mint in the photos and the list of what it had spent on it.

200 miles from you i know but £65 on the train.

Or £75 in fuel round trip at 30 mpg.

Pulling your beamer back with your A Frame behind the Shogun.

I wonder if it`s still for sale.

Good luck.

I had one and it had a few issues,,,,

Mainly the injectors were a pain, the 4x4 was intermitant and it did not have a slip diff so if you engage 4x4 then do not turn a corner on the road or you will but the shaft.

She pulled like a beast though. I got rid as the spares was so expensive and went for a landy as I can fix it myself.

Sorry did not read your post before you bought,,,,

Guest rimotu66

MM, this truck had a complete new engine fitted in 07 and the latest injectors fitted in 2010 all documented and verified by Isuzu so I thought I was on to a good one.

NS, Yes you where helpful but the truck you put me onto was to far away and wasnt really what I was looking for (each to there own on that one) but your last post wasnt helpful, infact it was imature and spiteful, I would never kick a man while he was down. So sorry you will not be posting to me any more :lol:

I wasn`t kicking you at all.

I give you the cost of going by train after looking it up.

I give you the cost in fuel.

Because that has to be one of the best looking low mileage Shoguns in the UK. For a Grand.

I have sent you photos and phone numbers.

I said is it still for sale. And said good luck.

And you turn round and say my post was imature and spiteful.

You need to grow up. JERK.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

Guest rimotu66

Flippen eck NS calm down, really no need for name calling. Yes as I siad earlier you hae been helpful and yes it was a good truck (its now sold) it just wasnt what I wanted, I was offered a swap for the Trooper with my BMW which killed two birds with one stone. I obviously misread your previous post you sent yesterday, it seemed a bit sarky to me which is why I replied in the way I did, often the case with forums as written text never shows the true feeling behind the comment. So please except this public apology from me.

Yours,

Jon the JERK. :good:

what other issues does the trooper have mate.

they can be fixed , sometimes its not as bad as you think .

i,ve had troopers for about 7/8 years , i think there great , so have come across a few probs in that time.

let us know what the probs are , IM are pretty good at honouring the recalls etc and there are many good lads on the isuzu club website only too willing to help.

Guest rimotu66

Thanks Darren, when started from cold the oil light stays on for 5 seconds then the pressure slowly raises to normal, then it drops to zero and with blip of the throttle it goes back up and is ok for the rest of the day, the turbo howels like a banshee, alternator is slow to show full charge on the guage, and now it will not start at all, I think I am getting diesel in the oil as well. I have joined the Isuzu forum and am collecting as much info as I can, I been told about the oil pickup pipes so have to take the sump off and the orps in the head which hopefully will fix my problems but not guaranteed and I will be looing at approx £500 if I can get a decent 2nd hand turbo.

Havnt made my mind up yet which way to go with it.

It may be a case that its worth getting a report / investigation done by an Isuzu dealer. If you can proove it was miss sold you might be able to throw a claim at the seller and either get your beemer back or pursue them for the cost of repairs. What it will do is give you a far better idea what is wrong and whether to attempt to fix or not

Thanks Darren, when started from cold the oil light stays on for 5 seconds then the pressure slowly raises to normal, then it drops to zero and with blip of the throttle it goes back up and is ok for the rest of the day, the turbo howels like a banshee, alternator is slow to show full charge on the guage, and now it will not start at all, I think I am getting diesel in the oil as well. I have joined the Isuzu forum and am collecting as much info as I can, I been told about the oil pickup pipes so have to take the sump off and the orps in the head which hopefully will fix my problems but not guaranteed and I will be looing at approx £500 if I can get a decent 2nd hand turbo.

Havnt made my mind up yet which way to go with it.

mate - i got a tested 2nd alternator off the website for £40 + £15 postage , fitted it myself about 2 hours work bit fiddley if you have aircon , but do-able.

dont worry about the oil pressure gauge , mine does same , but do check the level , if that rises then trouble.

re-starting search the white wire trick on the loom , i think it tells you if the orps is playing up , also you have got the correct oil have,nt you , it wont run if you have,nt.

my turbo howled -- i had,nt tightened one of the clips after doing the alternator -- worth checking they are all tight and no splits in the turbo and intercooler pipes.

if it is turbo again the club website as a guy who can supply most parts ( tested and used ) at a good price

you can do the orps yourself , but it will need tech 2 ing in ( milners 4x4 , e-bay etc )

if you get a proper diagnosis on the oil / diesal then contact IM they may honour the work.

Guest rimotu66

Thanks again Darren, the aternator can be sorted at a later date, I will be looking at it next week weather permitting. I havnt got a cue what oil is in it and I was going to get it serviced (prob do it myself) and put the correct 5-30 in it, I had already ordered the genuine filters. I am going to see if I can send a sample of the oil to Fuchs the next time we send our oil samples at work, they test for diesel in our enigines.

Glad I read this, I have been looking at a Isuzu trooper at a local garage thats up for sale.

I'll proceed with caution.

Had a similar experience with a Pajero. If I had joined POCUK before I bought it I wouldnt have wasted my money. Reading that forum is like a horror story, there is not one instance on there where someone has had a trouble free day with one.No idea why they still have them.

Thanks again Darren, the aternator can be sorted at a later date, I will be looking at it next week weather permitting. I havnt got a cue what oil is in it and I was going to get it serviced (prob do it myself) and put the correct 5-30 in it, I had already ordered the genuine filters. I am going to see if I can send a sample of the oil to Fuchs the next time we send our oil samples at work, they test for diesel in our enigines.

was reading your posts on the isuzu site , dont give up mate ,

pm gribble or eithan they work on troopers all day long , they are really helpful chaps . trooper simon is the one i get parts from , hes near doncaster and will post if needed

whats the terrino pull like

your disco sounds like my mrs , heater matrix gone and bloody freezing was told £400 + job to replace because of the labour