Zeroing a 22 rifle

ulsterman

Depends - on you, the rifle and the scope.

If you are just starting out make it 25 yards at first.

If you have just fitted a new scope 10 yards to start then work back.

If you are experienced and are going bunny bashing then 75 yds should be ok when you have got it all set up right.

I zero mine at 70 yds. But you need to set some targets out with a .22 and practice at ranges at 25, 50 75 and 100 yds so you get to know the trajectory. You're often holding over or under with .22 subs so a fixed mag scope, 6X42 or 7X50 makes life simpler.

A very experienced shot, (Mike Dickinson at Calton Moor underground range in Staffordshire), advised to zero a .22lr sub at 30 yds, this allows you to shoot out to 70 yds with very little adjustment, tried it and it works. He also advised that this setup also works with minimags, (tried it and it does), but not to use velocitor or stinger type ammo as they become unstable in flight as the sonic boom overtakes the round. Hope this helps.

Depends what ranges you normally shoot at, no point zeroing at 75yrds if you usually keep shots to around 50yrds. 50yrds suits me as its mostly paddocks where I use my .22 and don't need to shoot much past that if I get set up right, the rest of the land is woods so generally closer shots.

A very experienced shot, (Mike Dickinson at Calton Moor underground range in Staffordshire), advised to zero a .22lr sub at 30 yds, this allows you to shoot out to 70 yds with very little adjustment, tried it and it works. He also advised that this setup also works with minimags, (tried it and it does), but not to use velocitor or stinger type ammo as they become unstable in flight as the sonic boom overtakes the round. Hope this helps.

are those figures right

50 yds, any further and its too easy to miss over the top at peak trajectory (this depends on scope height) its easy to look at a target and think is it further than 50 yds and apply progressive hold over than faff around holding under at shorter than 50 yds. This applies to std 40 grn subs which will subsequently be about 8" low at 100 yds and still very do-able. Under 50 as long as its not under your feet its point and shoot and your at about 65 yds before you really need to apply any significant hold over. Shooting for chest shots exclusively on more distant targets lets the novice do a tidy job also and a practiced hand can still do headshots at 100

are those figures right

Yes I would think so. My .22 with a Pulsar N550 on top which sits high, is zeroed at 70 yds. This puts the first point of intersection at 35 yds. If I have to check zero in daylight I use 35 yds. So that does sound about right - the higher scope height will push the first point of intersection further out.

I used to zero at 60 with a daylight scope, I prefer 70 with NV so i don't have to walk up too close in the open. Personally I've never found holding under any trickier than holding over but I'm aware it isn't the conventional way.

I zero at 33 yards which gives me a secondary zero of 70 yards and only 2.7" below at 100 yards. Thats with a sight height of 2.8". (.22AR)

Within reason the higher the scope on a .22 the better!

Screen shot of my drops from 'Shooter' app attached.

post-55016-0-21600300-1364769538_thumb.png

Edited by farmer7

I zero at 33 yards which gives me a secondary zero of 70 yards and only 2.7" below at 100 yards. Thats with a sight height of 2.8". (.22AR)

i see you are using a bullet of 1330 fps, what brand do you use.

That dope seems quite off for std .22 subs. Wind drift at 100yds is normally 4" if taken as FV 10mph and the peak trajectory is quite flat, zeroed at 50 your also looking at 8" low at 100. Is this with the lighter bullet? stingers or what? That said all computer based dope needs field proving and is only what you put in at best

I find the tables only give a rough guide when using the .22LR - They seem to work well enough with airguns and also my centrefire rifles but not reliable on the .22. I think the only way to do it is, once you have the rifle/scope/ammo combination sorted, is to shoot a series of range cards, careful groups of 5 shots at measured ranges. When you have the results, measure and average each group and make up a table.

Stick with the same ammo and really get to know how the set up shoots - practice, practice, practice!

My current batch of Eley subs is going about 1035 (1065 on the box) through my rifle - If you just input what the makers says you may find you're 3-4" out at 100 yds.

A first zero of 16yds will give you a 60 yd , very useable, zero with very little holdover/under out to 80yds in my experience.

Its an easy setup but you have to be bullet on bullet at 16 yds.

GH

this is what i do,line it up at about 15 yds bullet on bullet,then recheck at about 65 yds,usually minor adjustment if any and they pretty much accurate for anything from 10 yds out to 70 yds ,in an inch circle ,plenty for bunnies.

i see you are using a bullet of 1330 fps, what brand do you use.

That dope seems quite off for std .22 subs. Wind drift at 100yds is normally 4" if taken as FV 10mph and the peak trajectory is quite flat, zeroed at 50 your also looking at 8" low at 100. Is this with the lighter bullet? stingers or what? That said all computer based dope needs field proving and is only what you put in at best

I'm using CCI Velociters, work very well out of my rifle and also very accurate. (1.3" 5 shot 100 yard groups from a semi firing hyper velocity ammo is pretty respectable) They use a full weight 40 gr bullet rather than the stingers 30 odd gr bullet. Dont know many people that stingers shoot very well for. Velocity for the Velocitors is down from what the factory says but it usually is!

Also that data is my field proven data using a BC of 0.132

I'm using CCI Velociters, work very well out of my rifle and also very accurate. (1.3" 5 shot 100 yard groups from a semi firing hyper velocity ammo is pretty respectable) They use a full weight 40 gr bullet rather than the stingers 30 odd gr bullet. Dont know many people that stingers shoot very well for. Velocity for the Velocitors is down from what the factory says but it usually is!

Also that data is my field proven data using a BC of 0.132

The wind should be less pretty much all subs are 4" at 100 yds FV 10mph, HV shouldn't be more with a std weight bullet I shouldn't have thought.

Went out tonight and had a go at the 15yd zero. then tried the 60yd. About 4" low, so moved to 50 and all ok.

First rabbit at about 55 yd and the sodding bullet was about 8" high. eventually got it with a shed load of hold under.

Must try harder next time and use some different ammo. I think the RWS field subs are low noise and therefore not consistent and only good for short distances.

Went out tonight and had a go at the 15yd zero. then tried the 60yd. About 4" low, so moved to 50 and all ok.

First rabbit at about 55 yd and the sodding bullet was about 8" high. eventually got it with a shed load of hold under.

Must try harder next time and use some different ammo. I think the RWS field subs are low noise and therefore not consistent and only good for short distances.

If I am reading that post correctly you have just broken the laws a physics. RWS subsonic are around 1050 fps like most subs and will not drop 4" over 10 yds from 50 yds and they wont rise 8" inbetween. 50 yds zero puts you between 3" low at 75 yds and around 8" low at 100 with subs. 40 grains of lead at over 1000 fps is not low powered its like 10x more than a reasonable air rifle and well capable out to 100yds in the hands of those who understand it