Help calling in foxes.

Mr Majyk

can i get some advice on calling in foxes, ive got a tenterfield fox whistle (one of those folded steel jobbies) and ive tried the making the squeeking call with my hand with not much luck! :no: got foxes lurking round my landowners buildings snapping at anything they can get there jaws on! i want to call them out from the buildings and introduce them to the wrong end of my 12 bore and some AAA cartridges, or one of my rifles. does anyone know of an idiot proof cheap fox call? ideally something which can be used with one hand so i can keep my other hand on gun/rifle. ive got NV on my rifle so dont need to worry bout them being lamp shy.

calling foxies - have you tried your mobile ?

Seriously there's an app 'ihunt', costs about £4 - an american thing so has moose should you need it. The rabbit distress call was pretty good I thought, worked on urban fox's when sat im my conservatory

calling foxies - have you tried your mobile ?

Seriously there's an app 'ihunt', costs about £4 - an american thing so has moose should you need it. The rabbit distress call was pretty good I thought, worked on urban fox's when sat im my conservatory

I'll give it a go. though part of me hates paying for an ap! :lol: if it aint free i usually pass it by! but on your recommendation i'll give it a whirl.

crows,

with regard to the calling lots depends on the foxes, some will call some won't depends on if they have heard it before so to speak. Summer you will get a higher success rate with cubs etc. In your situation I would start baiting a set point with cat food and sit out with the rifle on a few occasions.

You can make effective fox callers by using two lollypop sticks sandwiched together with a bit of video tape inbetween (to make the reed) I have made loads of these, and you can experiment with them by adding different material to create various sounds. And the good thing about them is, if you lose one, its cost you nothing.

.........."does anyone know of an idiot proof cheap fox call"..............

It doesn't exist...... the reaction of foxes on different sites is incredible, some charge at you, others will charge in the opposite direction, some just can't be bothered! :good:

No need to call if they are coming in to buildings IMO just find a good spot and tie out a bait if and as required up wind of their approach. Oh and hang back on that shot size no.1 will suffice and give a small margin on safety. Some foxes come in like a trained dog, some run at the smallest squeak, some just stand for a second or two instead of walking off and get shot

A fox won't call for a number of reasons, the main ones being

- if it's heard it before

- if it's suspicious

- if it's not hungry

- if it knows what it wants and prefers the thought of killing something of preference

I've experienced all these reasons and more.

Like Kent says, find a spot where you know it'll be and ambush it. If there isn't a spot already, create one by baiting up for a good few days before hand, let it become comfortable in the area. You then have no need to risk making any sound as you lie in wait.

Greg.