Recommend a courier please

Thunderbird

I need to send a couple of fairly heavy items (non-shooting related), one about 20kgs and the other about 10kgs. They have some value (about £650 and £250 respectively) so I would need an insured and 'signed for' service.

Who do you normally use? Ideally I want someone who will collect it too.

I use interparcel too - they are a broker and give you a choice of couriers - I have found the interparcel branded service ( which is actually UPS) to be the most professional and reliable. You will need a printer to print the shipping label and you can buy extra insurance if needed.

P2g are good brokers but yodel are stinky brown stuff. Had a parcel collected but never arrived at destination, their system said was at st Neots depot, who said it wasn't. More enquiries at central hub stated at st Neots. Drove there to discuss, they said not there and asked if I was calling them liars. 2 days later, found at st Neots depot! YODEL ARE AWEFUL

I need to send a couple of fairly heavy items (non-shooting related), one about 20kgs and the other about 10kgs. They have some value (about £650 and £250 respectively) so I would need an insured and 'signed for' service.

Who do you normally use? Ideally I want someone who will collect it too.

check the insurance small print firstly, lots will require original packaging original purchase receipts and the likes most of the majors DHL, Citylink APC will do a fair bit to avoid paying out and its best to know what excesses and conditions are in place before booking. When you go through a third party like parcel to go etc they will often have to deal with the claim if it happens so check their small print as well.

I've decided on UPS.

But do it through a broker - or you will get ripped off on price. We use Interparcel, but any broker who uses UPS will be the same. They just book the collection, and UPS show up the same way no matter how you booked a collection.

A UK delivery with UPS on interparcel is 9.59 inc VAT assuming it is not Highlands/Islands delivery). That is for a 24-48 hour service, but in my experience 95% come next day (just not guaranteed). That can be quite heavy too - I think up to 30kg, certainly 25kg. Good value for the quality and professional service they provide.

Now take into consideration that a medium sized parcel of up to 2kg in weight will cost 10 quid for 1st class recorded delivery with Royal Mail with their new price rises. They're on crack - and IMHO are purposely putting themselves out of business so that they can be privatised even faster. Mark my words - they will be making a HUGE loss this year!

Edited by aris