recomendations please?? foxing rifle

fabarm gamma boy

I've just got home from shooting in the hills above burnley...just checking the zero of all my rifles...150 meters in a very strong cross wind with the 223 I was still getting 1inch groups...

Most of my foxing is about this range or less so my uk gunworks tikka t3 is more than good enough for me...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Lakes it would have to be a .243 win for me, that's what I use in the hills of Bowland when I need to reach out a bit. I should more than likely run something at the heavier end like a the new 87 grn Hornady varmint bullet I am now getting steadily quite into zeroed aprox 215 - 220 yds you should be in the fox box (3" approx circle to 250) and saving quite a bit on wind over say a 22-250 running a 55 grn bullet near enough 2" better in fact @ FV 10mph 250 yds, as the wind is more likely to be 20mph than it is 5mph up in the hills then that's like a 4" wind saving. Its also all deer legal and having Roe , Reds and fallow up there well worthwhile. Are you North or South Lakes? Your welcome to hear mine go bang if your not too far I am about 40 mins from Kendal. PM me if your up for it. Barrel life is short, you will be lucky in the extreme to get an accurate 4000 rounds through a 22-250 or a .243, but that's a lot of foxes! 1500 competitive 2500 max hunting for the .243.

cheers kent thats a very kind offer mate! I think il be asking for a 22rimfire for rabbit shooting and a 223 for the fox control, i would of went more toward 17hmr for the bunnys but i know they are effected alot by wind and to be honest its windy alot of the time here! My permisions would also suit bigger calibre rifles but not sure my feo would grant me a 243 as my first rifle as much as id like em to lol! Hope it comes through quick theres foxes everywhere!!!

id like a 22-250 but the only thing stopping me is iv heard they are very loud and can be a problem with wearing barrels out? So if im buyibg second hand id not be sure!

ile bring mine tomorrow for ya to have a play with! its a remmy 700 vssf with macmillan stock burris black dimond scope jewel trigger wildcat mod match crown over 2 k worth but awesome bit of kit. was in lowmill tonight they nhave some good cheap guns in

cheers kent thats a very kind offer mate! I think il be asking for a 22rimfire for rabbit shooting and a 223 for the fox control, i would of went more toward 17hmr for the bunnys but i know they are effected alot by wind and to be honest its windy alot of the time here! My permisions would also suit bigger calibre rifles but not sure my feo would grant me a 243 as my first rifle as much as id like em to lol! Hope it comes through quick theres foxes everywhere!!!

I got .243 at first ask mate along with .22 with your land I would say ask they can only say no. good luck

there isn't much wrong with a .223 rem but a .243 win using the same bullet type and weight could actually be said to be a tad safer. Cops don't always see things that way though and if you stay this side of 200 yds there is nothing much to be gained in a bigger gun. many do get granted .243 and up at first ask btw but its a lottery. The .22 with subsonic ammo and a moderator is still the best tool for rabbit control up to say 65- 70 yds and an experienced shot can stretch that with practice. wind is about the same as makes no matter to the HMR at 100 yds but there is significantly more drop about 8" with the .22. Cost of ammo and quietness are the paybacks and you can also use the .22 on indoor ranges that often exclude the hmr (handy when your looking for a true nil wind zero in a hurry)

Indeed its actually one of the better fox calibers anyway, the ability to fire from 55grain up to 100 means its pretty versatile. Low down it competes and beats the 22-250 and high up it will take any uk deer legally.

Your probably right Alex but the OP has asked for a "Foxing Rifle" and Deer hasn't been mentioned by him.

Your probably right Alex but the OP has asked for a "Foxing Rifle" and Deer hasn't been mentioned by him.

indeed and with an initial grant unless deer are on the menu its unlikely he would get one hence I think I suggested a .223 simple and cheap to start.

that is true, but he is also on a limited budget so to buy a rifle that will do for the future and do for foxes with lighter loads, would make sense rather than further expence trading in for a deer rifle later on when he fancies a deer in the freezer.

Edited by malantone

.22 - 250 all day long, amazing round, very flat . you can create silly loads that will burn barrels ,but sensible load no issue.

depend what range and environment. a modded .22-250 is about the same as a modded .22lr.

used it in quiet built up area with no issue.( all safety points covered)

.243 some forces don't like for fox only.

.22 - 250 all day long, amazing round, very flat . you can create silly loads that will burn barrels ,but sensible load no issue.

depend what range and environment. a modded .22-250 is about the same as a modded .22lr.

What are you smoking?

I don't get all this begging!

The law is clear, the person seeking a firearm has to supply the authority a good reason to own and use a firearm.

As long as you have a valid use thats enough.

They can't write down in the conditions for use section of a licence; cos he wanted one!

U.

I wouldn't reccomend using a .17hmr as a dedicated foxing round and not much good in the wind at all if I'm honest, a 8mph wind was blowing my 17gr hornady around 4“ to the left of my target.

You can get the Browning A-Bolt for around £495 new, comes screwcut, 2xmags, weaver bases, composite stock so nice and light and doesn't scratch as easy.

It's up to you but you may or may not struggle to get a cf first off + even if the land is passed the feo may suggest to impose a mentoring condition even though you've shot at a club its a lot different shooting out in a field at 2am in the morning.

Also you need to think if your going to reload or use factory ammo as I think the 22-250 is around £1.30p a shot and 223 is around £1 a shot but hmr is £10 for 50 rounds but I doubt the feo will grant the hmr for fox although capable of doing the job a regular foxing calibre I would say its not.

I wouldn't reccomend using a .17hmr as a dedicated foxing round and not much good in the wind at all if I'm honest, a 8mph wind was blowing my 17gr hornady around 4“ to the left of my target.

You can get the Browning A-Bolt for around £495 new, comes screwcut, 2xmags, weaver bases, composite stock so nice and light and doesn't scratch as easy.

It's up to you but you may or may not struggle to get a cf first off + even if the land is passed the feo may suggest to impose a mentoring condition even though you've shot at a club its a lot different shooting out in a field at 2am in the morning.

Also you need to think if your going to reload or use factory ammo as I think the 22-250 is around £1.30p a shot and 223 is around £1 a shot but hmr is £10 for 50 rounds but I doubt the feo will grant the hmr for fox although capable of doing the job a regular foxing calibre I would say its not.

Where are you getting hmr for £10 a box please ?

A silenced 22lr using subsonics is just as quiet as my mates pcp airgun, ur not going to silence a 22-250 roubd travelling over 4000fps! You may get the initial shot quieter but once it breaks the sound barrier you'll always get that crack the same as all supersonic rounds do.