Manual pull type flapper

Ron L

I have been reading John Humphreys "Shooting Pigeons".

He mentions manual pull type flappers "Dead Cert or Semark/WAGBI" as well as a "Fife Swooper" flapper decoy. Has anyone used these successfully and are they commercially available for purchase?

He also mentions taking a dead bird, breaking its wings, and then lobbying out the dead bird near his decoys to attract live birds passing in the distance. Does this tactic work often?

Thanks again.

Ron Liljedahl

I had one of the old manual flappers and rarely used it.

As I shoot on my own, bending down to pull the string, whilst watching the birds and not moving too much so as not to spook them, while getting ready to take a shot, all became too much effort.

It was also very easy to pull them over, if the ground was too soft, or too hard for the pin.

The fishing line use to snag on the crops with irritating regularity, as well.

The electronic flappers do a good job.

I think it was Archie Coats who first wrote about throwing a dead pigeon among the decoys, as other birds approach.

It was just another way of providing movement among the decoys.

I have only tried it a few times and it seemed to put the birds off.

But, I am not Archie Coats, or John Humphreys, so I was probably not throwing it right. :good:

I still have a Semark flapper in my garage.

All you did was to pull the string, and the bird flapped it's wings.

If there is an advantage over the rotary flappers, it is that if you use a rotary for any length of time the birds get used to it, and then zoom off to parts distant as soon as they see pigeons flying in circles.

Yes, using the Semark entailed pulling the string, but I never found this to be a nuisance - especially as my partner and I used to take it in turns as soon as we saw a pigeon flying. It was all part of the fun and mickey taking of shooting out of a hide.

The pigeon were (are) attracted by the movement and white flashes on the wings, and this was what it was all about.

Sometimes when I carry the rotary, plus battery I wish that I had brought the Semark. Also, to use the Semark all you needed was one pigeon, not two as you do with a rotary.

Don

I would not go Pigeon shooting without my pull string flapper. I have found that it will almost always pull in birds. BUT sometimes they are put off by it being there when they get near. Solutions are then, I put it down wind of the decoy pattern, if that does not work I will put it up wind. If that does not work. It goes back in it's bag. :good:

The secret I have found with them is little and not too often 2 pulls of the line is enough, any more tends to turn birds away. If I have not seen a bird for a while I will give it a couple of tugs then wait for a good 5 mins before doing it again. If I see a bird in the distance it's the same ploy 2 tugs and no more, gets them intrested. Seems to work for me. I owe my two biggest bags to the pull string flapper.

Tiercel

I had one.....................it was useless...................

kept on falling over when I pulled it............as someone said, if the ground was soft you had had it...

then someone robbed it when I left it in my "hide"............

hope they are struggling with it now as I did.........

:good:

I still got one but haven't used it for ages. Suppose it would be good if you wanted to travel light.

They do work, but are more awkward to set up then the modern battery type as you always get a better pull by setting it away from you so you are pulling directly to it, otherwise you have to use a small stake to be able to turn it into the wind With the battery type you can put it to suit the wind no problem.

Mine is a green metal one, and the best bird I have ever decoyed with a flapper is jackdaws, they come in lovely to them.

• 5 years later...

I have one and what I found was useful was to get an old tent peg (or new tent peg if you fancy a trip to the shop to buy one) and tie a piece of string to the front of the flapper and peg it into the ground infront of the flapper then when you pull the string your actually pulling against that rather than on the stick.

ATB