E collars

neillfrbs

they have their uses I know when young mine was a ******* on hares and there is nothing else that will stop them and potentially save them if you are near a road. Only ever used the electric zap a few times as after that the beep was all it needed to remind her to listen to the whistle. The yanks use them far more used right they can be a good tool used wrongly they can be cruel

Used correctly, they can be of use, its the 'under the right conditions' bit is most important.

IMO their best use is breaking bad habits in scenario based situations, used properly they only need to be used once or twice.

It will mean absolutely nothing to anyone reading this who is anti, but I am sure as I can be our dog would have been run over by had we not broken his running off habit with one.

I've used one on a couple of dogs in the past and it has saved the day as it were. Saved me shooting the dogs.

They must be used with care and sympathy but they are not the answer to poor training. I've not used one on a gundog but on a couple of sheep dogs that were a bit keen it worked a treat and the dogs have gone on to be great trustworthy workers.

thanks guys my springer pup is 8 months old good to the whistle ,but as soon as she sees another dog she is gone like the wind over to play and pester the other dog,all the whistling in the world will not bring her back she just goes nuts,need to break this bad habbit of running off some how.

Although an advocate of e-collars, I truly do not think that one should use one in the circumstances you describe. An 8 month old puppy needs correct training and should not be let off the lead in that sort of situation until it's recall is 100%.

Much better to use a long lead whilst training so that you can control your puppy and reinforce recall.

Without wishing to sound rude, it is little wonder there is a move to ban them when people use them in such circumstances.

I can assure you using one on a puppy, doing what puppies do, will ruin it. E-collars are not a substitute for proper training or owner's impatience.

Please don't be tempted.

Although an advocate of e-collars, I truly do not think that one should use one in the circumstances you describe. An 8 month old puppy needs correct training and should not be let off the lead in that sort of situation until it's recall is 100%.

Much better to use a long lead whilst training so that you can control your puppy and reinforce recall.

Without wishing to sound rude, it is little wonder there is a move to ban them when people use them in such circumstances.

I can assure you using one on a puppy, doing what puppies do, will ruin it. E-collars are not a substitute for proper training or owner's impatience.

Please don't be tempted.

I totally agree , at 8 months it is still a pup and still needs a lot of training at the basics .

Again without being rude , this is a problem you must have allowed to develope , think about training classes before electric collars.

I would just like to back up wot the previous 2 posters have said, E collars are a LAST resort and generally an admission of failure somewhere in ur basic training. They are NOT an instant fix and potentionally ruin a good dog very easily, u have to know wot ur doing and get dog used to collar welll before u ever use it

I would suggest using a lead until u are confident and then a long line when in areas other dogs are and work on ur recall in private, I would also strongly suggest either 1-1 lesson with a good trainer or a training class/club.

Speaking to people on shoots over the years i'd say 90+% who have used a collar, have used it wrongly (in my opinion) in in a way or situation it has not been designed for. And a collar should never be needed on an actual shoot day

The way americans train dog's is completely different to how we do it here (and to be honest i would rather not have a dog if i had to use some of there technices) and there are whole books abou the CORRECT way to use them and how to get the dog used to them.

I actually feel u should do a course before u buy/use 1 as they are potentially a great piece of kit for specific dogs/problems; BUT the potential for abuse/misuse is massive

ok cheers guys trained my last springer no problem ,will stick with the long lead ,she is great on and off lead will stop 50 yrds out with the whistle,and her recall is mint ,bring back dummy to hand ,just as soon as she sees another dog she is off like a whippet .

ok cheers guys trained my last springer no problem ,will stick with the long lead ,she is great on and off lead will stop 50 yrds out with the whistle,and her recall is mint ,bring back dummy to hand ,just as soon as she sees another dog she is off like a whippet .

its easy mate really , its all part of steadiness , put your dog in the situation where there are other dogs , local park etc , keep it on its slip , make it sit and give praise if it does not move and if it moves push its back end down into sit position and give only calm praise when it is seated .