Pattern Master

Spaniel

Hi

I am after some suggestions

Do you think it would be beneficial to purchase a pattern master choke for my Xtreama 2 this season,

If the job interview works out this week i might end up back at Orkney this season on the Geese, so any suggestions on the above please

Thanks

I have used 1/4 choke in the xtreama 2 myself up to now, infact this is normaly all i use in either of my guns, and i do get on well with it, but i was just wondering if these other chokes actualy made a difference or not as they are around the £100 or so mark

I use a code black long range duck, use it for every thing pigeon,crow etc

it s quarter choke acording to my choke guage,

Holds a tight pattern out to 60 yrd on a pattern plate,

if youre on target its a kill not many flapers,

when deycoying put the pattern out to 40 yrd & watch the birds fold up when hit.

(should have got a code black mid range for deycoying)

I use it in a bennelli crioevo semi.

I use a code black long range duck, use it for every thing pigeon,crow etc

it s quarter choke acording to my choke guage,

Holds a tight pattern out to 60 yrd on a pattern plate,

if youre on target its a kill not many flapers,

when deycoying put the pattern out to 40 yrd & watch the birds fold up when hit.

(should have got a code black mid range for deycoying)

I use it in a bennelli crioevo semi.

Surely the only way of measuring the degree of choke is in relation to the actual bore diameter. #

As you state that you are patterning well at 60 yds I would suggest that's more than 1/4.

Sounds like a good combination that works well for you.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

I measured the choke with a brass choke guage ,it starts at full & goes up to bore,

when put in the pattern master choke & it reads quarter .

Im using 32grm no 6 loads with felt wads,

the choke are supposed to work better with plastic wads & larger load sizes,

Its supposed to slow the wad down & put more lead in to the pattern.

if you need more info look at pro goose & duck supplies wed site its got all

the info on the pattern master choke & lists the correct choke for youre make of gun.

Surely the only way of measuring the degree of choke is in relation to the actual bore diameter. #

+1 absolutely in order to obtain the nominal boring.

As you state that you are killing well at 60 yds I would suggest that's more than 1/4.

And the only way to measure the actual performance is at the pattern plate.

Sounds like a good combination that works well for you.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You cannot talk about a Patternmaster choke in the way you discuss a normal internal choke. They work in a totaly different manner.

I have an extended range duck model.

Awesome at long range birds.

Patterned at 40 yards with Lyavale 3" No 1's - a good steel cartridge.

Only 3 pellets outside the 30" circle - Just!

You cannot talk about a Patternmaster choke in the way you discuss a normal internal choke. They work in a totaly different manner.

Hi,

Have I got this right? I understand about the gas venting and the wad check improving things considerably, but as I understand it the first portion of this choke still utilises a constriction to achieve a reduction in the rate of spread, the other additions just adding improvements to the pattern quality. Is that correct or have I 'missed the boat'?

Thinking this is the way to go to be honest,

Guest cookoff013

I am not going to be changing chokes while out Wildfowling so how do you think Size 3s (Steel) would pattern if the Code Black Goose was fitted on the Xtreama 2

what are you after??

a good rule of thimb is #2s (32g) duck and BB (36g -42g ) for goose.

even slow 1400fps steel would do good with that.

I think mine are 3s 36gms which i use on the ducks and i had 42gms BB on the geese

Just trying to understand if the Code Black Goose choke will provide a tighter pattern with more pellets how would this effect the pattern and grouping of pellets if i used the 3s 36gms...

Out on the foreshore i will be able to load different cartridges for what is coming in, but I am only going to be installing the one choke, a bit different if i go to Orkney again and just target the geese

Does steel through a tighter pattern. In a normal choke compared to lead of cartridge of lthe same size and weight,anyone?.

The short sharp answer is, yes. As you'd expect, there are infinite ifs and buts so you'd probably have to ask a more precise question of the steel users for any given specific inquiry.

Some people love the pattern master code black others like undertaker chokes, I prefer the Kicks High Flyer Modified as it is great with BB and for geese and shoots all types of shot non toxic and lead with fantastic results, I'm not one for 60+yard shots at geese.

The pattern master is to tight for most duck shooting unless foreshore but great for long range geese.

Have a read on the American forums they have used them loads and give some great honest reveiws.

Figgy