Ireland Trip

Muddy Funker

Hi Guys,

Swmbo and I have another trip booked this time to the west coast of Ireland.

We've got a camper van booked up and could do with some must see places to visit and things to do.

I've been to Ireland a few times before and have been the the west coast before.

I'm a camper van newbie, are there any laws regarding where you can stay? We were hoping you could just pitch up somewhere nice, stay the night then onto the next are in the morning.

We'll be flying into Knock airport so that will be the start point.

Any hints or tips will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

If you are flying into Knock then some of the places are a fair old drive. You are closer to Galway, Connemara and Clare. Clifden is considered the "capital" of Connemara but the real beauty is away from the towns. Achill Island in Mayo is also beautiful.

A bit further south you are into Clare with The Burren, Ailwee Caves and the cliffs of moher.

It all depends what you look for in a holiday but you'll find great pubs and music everywhere in the West.

I have agree with other posters who have said the Dingle Penninsula - its a longish drive (roads can be sh*te) but lovely. Great fishing at every turn too.

Buy a copy of McCarthys Bar by Pete McCarthy. It will give you a great idea about places and a good laugh too.

When are you going ? I'll be at the Moira Game Fair with the SACS team 25th&26th of May I don't know if you are visiting the north but if you are on that weekend drop by. Remember a decent spinning outfit and jelly lures :good:

Ahh that sounds good but unfortunately we're going in July.

Guys thanks for all of the replies.

They've all been noted down and will be circled on the map before we go!

I'll raise a Guinness to you all, thanks :good:

just been over there last weekend to see my lad ,he lives 20 mins from knock.try and get a couple of nights in galway,the buskers are brill :yes:

Ahh that sounds good but unfortunately we're going in July.

Guys thanks for all of the replies.

They've all been noted down and will be circled on the map before we go!

I'll raise a Guinness to you all, thanks :good:

http://nicfreeman.com/2012/04/16/how-to-travel-the-uk-ireland-in-a-campervan-lessons-from-1-month-on-the-road/

Also my BIL has a book that lists pubs all over the UK that permit single night stays in their car parks, obviously they hope you will have a pie & a pint in their establishment in return. Can't remember what it is called, will ask him tomorrow.

I love Mcarthys bar and the second one can't remember the name now

The Road to McCarthy.

Both are very funny. My favourite has got to be McCarthy's Bar. If I'm heading "wesht" I read the relevant section when I'm actually there. It was a sad day when Pete McCarthy died.