What Dog For a Newbie

Troosers Too

Appologies in advance if I double post or otherwise mess this up - first post see.

Having shot on and off for years and now recently, with living back in the UK, I've got the time, nearly enough money and the opportunity to shoot a lot more and I really want a dog. Mrs. TT is also keen to get involved with the beast & will probably do most of the real work as I work away for a couple of weeks a month. We're experienced dog owners but complete novices to training a working animal.

Most of my shooting will be rough, walked up days with hopefully a few driven days as well. When I get the chance, I also beat at a local shoot, where the guys are pushing me towards an ESS. Mrs. TT is not sure about a spaniel, having seen too many badly trained lunatics in the past. We've has GSP's in the past and I know she would love another but would they be a good choice for the type of shooting I do & our lack of experience? Are all labradors walking stomachs?

Would be very grateful for your views & advice

Having no experience with any dogs other than labs and a springer I would recomend a springer. As long as someone has the time to train it.

When I was looking at getting my springer everyone said that they are mad, but with the right training mine has turned OK. They will work tirelessly all day in the beating line and then go on to pick up.

A springer gets my vote :shout:

Martin & Baldrick

Thanks for that. I've always had a soft spot for spaniels after one aquired me a few years ago. He had an amazing ability to get disgustingly filthy. Much like me.

I'm just going to have to work on Mrs TT a bit harder. It is a real shame that our GSP bitch was only really ever going to be a pet cos she's got all the instincts - points beautifully, loves hunting but she's getting too old now to try to change things. Also if I try to get her to go into any heavy cover she just gives me that look. "I've shown you where they are. If you want them out go get them yourself or buy a spaniel - what do you think I am?"

What do you think of the spaniel / labrador crosses. Springadors or whatever you want to call them. Best of both or just the opposite?

TT

I don't know much about springadors but I would imagine that they will be the same as any other dog, you will only get out what you put in.

My springer was my first dog that I trained and it was hard work at times, other times you were waiting for a fall as it seemed so easy.

To see him work is a joy and when he does things for the first time the feeling is great.

• 2 weeks later...

My ESS is a joy, 11 months now and IMHO will cover the wide range of applications you are looking for. Like you I do a bit of walking up, just started beating on a really friendly local shoot and do the odd driven day. I'd hope to use mine for beating and picking up next season if training goes to plan.

I'd say the ESS is probably harder to train than a Lab but you'll do well to find a Lab that will go into the dense cover an ESS thrives on.

Just my thoughts.

Enjoy whichever you go for.

Im liking cocker spaniels at the moment, everyone my end seems to be getting 1 at the moment aswell, the ones i know of are cracking picker uppers and beating dogs, they have had an odd rabbit or 2 aswell! Easy to train aswell, not as tough as a ESS though!

Im torn between getting a terrier or a cocker at the moment, not that it will be yet that i get one!

Alex

:good:

Sorry about the delay in replying - I was on my time off & avoid the computer like the plague when I'm home.

One of the great things I've noticed about these forums is that whenever someone asks for advice, on any subject, they get loads of replies - all giving different answers. So at the moment I can see I'm going to have to tell Mrs TT that we're getting a Lab, a Springer, a Cocker, a Clumber & another GSP.

I may be gone for some time :thanks:

Needless to say - as soon as I started talking about another dog, my GSP has suddenly turned over a new leaf. I was out in the junglies with her this week & she behaved beautifully, stayed close enough, hunted, pointed, the lot. She still won't retrieve, but she will find & indicate fallen birds - so I'm well chuffed.

After that day, I was singing her praises to my brother, who raised a disbelieving eyebrow so - off we went two days later and the same thing - she was brilliant! Even big brother was impressed.

I am forced to admit that this progress is much more down to the dog than to your's truly's rigorously effective training program.

Cheers

TT

I'm gonna be a bit different & say golden retreiver OK I'm biased.

She's the best dog I've ever had ( had labs all my life) this one was trained by me!

If your after a good retriever, easily trained, loyal obedient dog you can't go wrong with a Goldie, mine is with me everywhere I go, lamping, decoying, ferreting, formal driven days, beating ,in fact the gamekeeper has commented that she's the best beating dog he's seen in a long while, he asks if becky's available before he asks me :thanks:

I often think she reads my mind & dose what I want her to do before I've even thought about how I'm gonna ask her to do it.

Also when in the pub she attracts alot of female attention......Which is nice :unsure:

Go Goldie

SS