Made the decision

Martin&Oakley

To get an air rifle.....

I have had a look around at the various threads and watched a bit of air gun tv.

Ideally I need to keep this to about £100-150 all in.

Looking at taking out rabbits and any pigeon that escapes the 12g

Break barrel/under lever.

Accurate with enough power to cleanly kill.

Looks are not important neither is wood/synthetic.

Oh and .177

I see this purchase as being a back up to the 12g firstly for any flying pest hiding in the trees(safe shots only) and dispatching any injured ones. Secondly to drop any rabbits that come into range.

Hopefully that's enough info for you guys to possibly recommend something if anything.

You might pick up a BSA mercury at that price, leaving you enough to do any changes to it, and get a decent optic. Built very well and value for money on the second hand market is fairly good.

Other places to look would be a higher end SMK - XS38 is an underlever at full power, i have one and the only thing that lets is down is the trigger is a bit spongy. Or an XS18-19 or 20 would fit the bill.

Hatsans, as have been mentioned are also supposedly very good value for money. but i have no experience of them.

You could get lucky and get a HW on 2nd hand market.

Got a hatsan striker, great gun,, was shooting empty shotgun shells at 40 yards the other day when the squigs wouldn't play, 150 with scope is the going rate from most places. Cheap and accurate and the power is about 11ftlb . Not quite my old hw99s but for the money its fantastic.

Got a hatsan striker, great gun,, was shooting empty shotgun shells at 40 yards the other day when the squigs wouldn't play, 150 with scope is the going rate from most places. Cheap and accurate and the power is about 11ftlb . Not quite my old hw99s but for the money its fantastic.

Hatsan striker, 1000fps?

Smk syntarg, hmmm not sure. Something made me put it in.

Smk synxs, mid priced, lowest fps but very good review from air gun tv.

Smk db4, same fps as the targ but 30 quid cheaper?

I think I'm liking the smk range, pretty cheap brand new and seem to do the job. I forgot to mention 99% of the time it will be making thuds not plinking.

I thought this would be easy, wrong.

The Hatsan 55 S can be picked up new from around £120, it is available for twice the price, sold as a Webley Stingray Mark 2! Has a nice stock (the one on my 60 S - same gun only .22 - is lovely Turkish Walnut), fully adjustable 2 stage trigger, accurate too.

+1 :-).

So after much searching and reading reviews, I think I'm going to go for the stoeger x20s with Stoeger 3-9x40AO rifle scope & mounts.

It's £150 from a shop in standish.

I'm going to pop over to the rfd in rickmansworth in a minute to see if they have one in there and will do the same deal (I got my o/u from there).

If anyone has any previous experience with it feel free to enlighten me.