I need a quiet shotgun

steveyg

Horses don't mind about shotguns. I have shot my 12 guage within 10 yards of a horse many times. They are not remotely bothered by it. Accidently tread on a plastic bag m,aking a weird rustle though and see them go mad!

I would personally try out a 410 to start with and explain it is a question of the horses getting used to it. Assuming that is the only reason?

Also, if you do go with a silenced shotgun. Bear in mind it makes little difference whether it is a .410 or a 12 bore. What is important is the ammo. Anything supersonic is going to make a crack silencer or not. Buy subsonic ammo and it will be very quiet.

Edited by srspower

Ive a mossberg hushpower .410 and out in the field with subsonic cartridges it sounds like a sneeze. Id compare it to a springer air rifle. Not as quiet as a pcp air rifle, but still a very strange quiet noise compared to the normal crack you get from a shotgun.

As others have said, its how it sounds several meters away which counts, and from my experience, its very quiet.

What I have noticed, is if you are standing with your back to a hedge, or around buildings, the noise will sound a lot louder.

Range wise, no difference in my experience between the .410 and 12g although my mossberg .410 has a much smaller pattern & a tight choke. Ive happily used it on sporting clays and hit some quite long targets without any problems. Only down side i found is that the point of aim can take some getting used to with the moderator on the end, and the gun is pretty long. Also .410 cartridges arnt cheap.

• 9 months later...

I had an Investarm 20g fully modded O/U, made by Saddlery and Gun room. Regret selling it actually!

Very quiet and a effective up to 40yds.

I recall shooting pigeon on one occasion with crows feeding on the other side of the field, they didn't register the shots despite being less than 150 yds away. Highly recommended!

GH

I've got the Hushpower 20g O/U and with subsonic carts I don't bother with ear plugs. I shoot next to a horse paddock sometimes and the horses don't mind as they are used to the noise of the bangers that the farmer puts out which are much louder than the gun. I have shot it with mates in the next field who don't notice the bang that much as well.

Yep I'd second that. I've got a Hushpower 20g pump and compared to a 20g semi the difference is that my neighbours horses don't bolt, in fact they barely look up. I also don't bother with ear defenders with it either. It is a long old thing to heft about and you need to adapt to aim it but it is definitely effective and neighbour friendly. I raise the rib on mine with some black acetal so that the rib was in the same plane as the top of the can so you have one single flat surface to look along. A fibre sight might do the trick too.

Do I like it? - it does it's job, but is unwieldy and took some practice to hit anything. Their O/U is a much tidier affair, points/aims nicely but the Investarm action is gritty and non-ejector!

Hi steve,

I had the same issue. Had my SGC for nearly two years and all my permission is predominantly around livestock/ houses. Although I haven't had any complaints I am aware that it's only a matter of time before an incident happens.

After much research online I decided to order the mossberg hushpower kit in 20g. My thinking is that I have the versatility of and range without the extra 2lb of weight in the 12. The extra barrel also give the option of switching back to a useful light and pointable 3 shot pump.

My research online has lead me to believe that all the hushpowers are useful tools that do exactly what it says on the tin when using the subsonic carts. It comes down to your own personal preference and budget. My choice (although an expensive option) gives me the versatility on a 3 shot 20g (range and killing power) with the moderated option when times require it.

Friends have the baikal 410 hush and swear by it but it's only used for point blank culling or for rats around the yard.

Hope this helps

Jeff

P.S. Don't want to sound like the 410 isn't a useful gun as in the hands of an experienced good shot they are fantastic tools. As I am relative inexperienced and not a good enough shot yet the 410 doesn't give me the confidence to hit a moving target at 20 yards never mind any further. Another reason I chose the 20g

Edited by jeffjjack