.22 WMR Accuracy

tjm160

A friend has a new Savage 93BTVS in .22 WMR. He's fired 250 rounds and still can't get the group size at 100m less than 4 inches. I was next to him shooting 1 inch groups with my .17 HMR. We swapped rifles and lo and behold my group with his WMR was 4 inches and his 1 inch with my HMR, so that rules out the shooter. I understand it can take a few hundred rounds through a new barrel until it settles down, but by 250 rounds surely it should be starting to settle? From what I've read in other threads, I believe the WMR is known to not deliver quite as tight groups as the HMR, but is 4 inch really what one should expect from a WMR? He's already swapped the scope and now has a new Hawke. Thanks in advance for any guidance / suggestions.

Edited by tjm160

I had an HMR like that. I tried pretty much everything. So the suspects are:

Dirty/fouled barrel.........major intensive clean with copper solvent

Dodgy scope.........try another known to be ok

Round clipping the moderator ( if it has one)..Look for evidence of clipping, and try without the mod

Barrel crown problem.....burr from manufacture etc

Barrel not floated and touching the woodwork/synthetic.........make sure there is clearance between the barrel and woodwork

One thing I would say is how is the bullet placement on the targets? Are they equally spread over the 4" group or, are there always the same number close together, ie two together, the other three all over the place? I had an HMR like this. I dealt with all these and still had issues. I got rid of the rifle but on reflection I think it could well have been the rounds being damaged before the went into the breech. Either the underside of the bolt had a rough edge damaging the next round as it was pulled back, or the chamber had a burr or similar. What I should have done was to have cycled a mag full without firing onto something soft and examined them for damage. My money was on that. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much gents, some very helpful suggestions there and clearly much to try.

The targets are still in the garage, I'll take a pic in the morning. The rounds were falling all over the 4-inches.

As a small aside, we were both amazed at the difference in the clarity of our respective optics. I have a Light Stream 4.5-14 x 44 and he a Hawke with illuminated reticule. The eye relief on mine is a little fiddly but the target crystal clear where it was quite fuzzy through his. This really rammed home how better glass is worth the extra money and I think has sold him on acquiring a better scope.

Like all rimfires you have to find the round that suits the individual rifle. A 400% improvement in grouping on what you describe should be possible. You/he just has to try as many different brands as possible.

As Wymberly says. How many different rounds has he tried?

A friends Mauser wmr years ago went pear shaped because the stock cracked between the mag and front screw!

U.

Nothing has been mentioned about what make of rounds were being used or (Possibly more importantly) what weight of heads. When I had my .22WMR it would group very well with 50g Hornady ammunition but if I swapper to 40g or any other type of ammunition the grouping spread right out from a sub one inch group to a 2 inch plus group.

After 250 rounds I would have thought that the barrel would have settled in. Maybe a good deap cleaning/scouring of the barrel might help and also check the condition of the crown and moderator (If a moderator is fitted). Also check that all of the scope mounts are tightened up properly and that the barrel is fully floating.

Hope this helps mate.

Edited by Frenchieboy

As all the last few posts, the first thing to change is the ammo.

Certainly take note of the comments in #2 as well.

As also stated in the OP, my HMR is definitely SLIGHTLY more accurate than my WMR, but the difference at 100 yards is hardly worth talking about bearing in mind the size/weight/energy advantage of the WMR. Like for like the best I've done with either, my WMR groups are about 0.25" worse than my HMR groups.

4" groups at 100 yards is very suggestive that something isn't right.

My savage in hmr took a while to settle in. It only shot 20 grain rounds for the first couple hundred. Then as it fouled a little the 17's started working and everything was fine. If you want to accelerate the break in, give it a good scrub, shoot a few, scrub again, and repeat a couple times. Alternatively try both ends of the bullet weight spectrum and see what it prefers.

Rick

Been having a serious maintenance program on the guns over the last few days.

WMR stripped right down, out of stock, taken to pieces and rebuilt, so out today to do some zeroing work on it, and my .22lr which had the same treatment.

30g Hornady V-Max, both were 5 shot groups, the first was when I started, 14mm group (just over 0.5inch)

post-20848-0-43134900-1370800837_thumb.jpg

This was after a few shots and I got it right, slight wind from right to left, hence why all left of centre. 18mm group (just under 0.75inch)

post-20848-0-89693800-1370800848_thumb.jpg

Frankly, I'm happy with that, its about as good as I can get with the WMR, as I have said before the HMR always has the edge, just!

I am not the best shot in the world, but talk of 4inch groups says something is wrong somewhere. :good:

Edited by Dekers

Thanks much again gents, he left for a week overseas with work today but be sure we'll be working these fine suggestions on his return. Not sure what ammo he shoots, but that will certainly be the first check followed by removing the mod and then everything else. Much obliged for the most helpful suggestions :good:

Been having a serious maintenance program on the guns over the last few days.

WMR stripped right down, out of stock, taken to pieces and rebuilt, so out today to do some zeroing work on it, and my .22lr which had the same treatment.

30g Hornady V-Max, both were 5 shot groups, the first was when I started, 14mm group (just over 0.5inch)

attachicon.gif011a.jpg

This was after a few shots and I got it right, slight wind from right to left, hence why all left of centre. 18mm group (just under 0.75inch)

attachicon.gif012a.jpg

Frankly, I'm happy with that, its about as good as I can get with the WMR, as I have said before the HMR always has the edge, just!

I am not the best shot in the world, but talk of 4inch groups says something is wrong somewhere. :good:

Excellent shooting!

What rifle again please?

U.