Calibre change-Replacement for .243

I have a 12 bore, .177, a .22lr and a .243.

Ive been out of shooting and reading about it too, for the last 18 months, due to working in the Middle East. I do a lot of fishing there but not sporting shooting.

Before I left, I used to enjoy my .22lr but not the .243 (RWSmmod 89 sporter) and rarely used it. I got it for deer and fox but didnt really do much with the rifle and found the recoil off putting. I can handle it and could hit 2 pence peices at 100 meters, using factory ammo but just did not enjoy using it as much as I had hoped. Nothing wrong just not for me.

Anyway, I am coming back to the UK soon and want to swap it out or sell it and buy another centre fire, but a smaller calibre. I want something that will give me good accuacy out to 300 or so metres, be capable of knocking down a fox or rabbit but not have a heavy recoil or be expensive to feed. Also have plenty of good factory ammo available.

I know there will be hundreds of opinions, but really Im looking for a cheapish option, nothing fancy or exotict. Just a commonly used calibre that I can get factory ammo for easily, rifles are easily available, is accurate and not too much recoil.

Ideas please :)

Why don't you use the 55-58g V Max in the .243, the recoil is light, (I don't see the .243 as aggressive anyway).

That may well solve the problem, and a lot cheaper than chopping in the .243 for another rifle. Otherwise I can only really suggest the .223. The 22-250 isn't worth talking about following the comments in your post.

Some may suggest the .204, but they can be VERY ammo fussy, and you need a flagpole of a barrel to achieve best results.

No doubt some other opinions will turn up soon!

:good:

May not sound too sensible but, I swapped a 22 250 and a 222 ive had for years with little use. Got an HMR and really enjoy it now.

Seem to tick several mental boxes, bit more expensive than 22 per shot but cheap enough not to worry about firing a box or two.

bit more range than 22, but not so much that you have to worry about bullets going to the next county.

rarely hear a richicette with the hmr.

great little carry around rifles available.

Just my 2p worth

I'd go .223. Ammo is available everywhere and recoil is light. You're not that far from me so if you want to put a few rounds down mine to get a feel for it before you go for it then drop me a PM. If you could make a range day with us at Severnside me and a few mates could probably show you most of the options available to you.

The 243 is a fine usable calibre that covers you for all but Boar in the UK. The felt recoil even when using 105 grain rounds is nothing, you would be best holding on to it and as stated try smaller weight bullets.

I have AOLQ, that means BOAR, just the same, Boar is probably the main reason I got a .308 though, but Boar has no legal minimum calibre/energy, if I had my .243 in my hands and one turned up the odds are it would get a precision shot delivered and game over! :good:

Edited by Dekers

Have you considered trying the home loading route? As it's only a 6mm some milder home loads could be brought down to not far off of a .223 I should think? Maybe just give a Lee Loader a try if you don't want to spend too much on it - it's surprising how accurate a load you can chuck together with one of those and they cost next to nothing!

I have AOLQ, that means BOAR, just the same, Boar is probably the main reason I got a .308 though, but Boar has no legal minimum calibre/energy, if I had my .243 in my hands and one turned up the odds are it would get a precision shot delivered and game over! :good:

Dekers, it is up to you what you shoot with your rifle :good: . I also have AOLQ on all my rifles, 2 of which are the 243 and 300 win mag. I would not say that I definitely wouldn't shoot a Boar with the 243 as I suppose when they are in a stationary position then, as you say a well placed shot would do the job. However if I was shooting them on the move as in driven then the 300 is there for me to do the job efficiently :yes: .

i second the moderator route, .243 is a big ol boomer but the mod tames the snarl, home load aswell THAT makes the price of ammo much more pocket friendly, i have taken rabbit to red with the .243 and as long as you use the right bullet its a smashing round.

I would not hesitate to shoot a Boar with a .243 if it was stationary,

When I first started shooting my .243 I was a bit unnerved by the recoil, I did get used to it but after getting it screwcut and a moderator on it, it's a million times better.

I would very strongly recommend having a shot with someone else's with a moderator (if your anywhere near north cumbria you can have a go with mine).

I have shot a 22-250 in the past and though it was fine. I can't really comment on the other calibre's.

(If you already have a mod on it, ignore all this and chop it in :) )

I have a 12 bore, .177, a .22lr and a .243.

Ive been out of shooting and reading about it too, for the last 18 months, due to working in the Middle East. I do a lot of fishing there but not sporting shooting.

Before I left, I used to enjoy my .22lr but not the .243 (RWSmmod 89 sporter) and rarely used it. I got it for deer and fox but didnt really do much with the rifle and found the recoil off putting. I can handle it and could hit 2 pence peices at 100 meters, using factory ammo but just did not enjoy using it as much as I had hoped. Nothing wrong just not for me.

Anyway, I am coming back to the UK soon and want to swap it out or sell it and buy another centre fire, but a smaller calibre. I want something that will give me good accuacy out to 300 or so metres, be capable of knocking down a fox or rabbit but not have a heavy recoil or be expensive to feed. Also have plenty of good factory ammo available.

I know there will be hundreds of opinions, but really Im looking for a cheapish option, nothing fancy or exotict. Just a commonly used calibre that I can get factory ammo for easily, rifles are easily available, is accurate and not too much recoil.

Ideas please :)

.223 rem is the gun your describing.

Guys, thanks for the replies, and sorry for my own slow reply.

I am back in the middle east again :( so having to work and look busy...

I don't mind the recoil on the .243 and have used bigger rounds before in the military and other friends rifles as a civilian. I have used my friends .270 and the recoil doesnt bother me, its just I find that with both my 243 and the 270, its just too much BOOM and everything in the area will run for cover and not come back and it just doesnt suit me.

NJC, thank you for that offer, when I am back next time I may take you up on that!

Also, a moderator maybe worth considering too and keeping my rifle, which to be fair is very nice and in good condition, or even a moderated .223! I wish I had got a moderator from the start really.

If all that's bothering you is the noise then just slap a mod on it. Something like a MAE T12 if you really want to hush it down. I can assure you the difference is amazing.

If you can make it to the range one of us has a .243, I'll see if I can get him to bring it so you can shoot it mod on and mod off for comparison. And you can do the same with my .223 so you can see what a beast that is without one! Pretty much all centrefires give off a pretty hefty boom when they're fired unmoderated.

In fact, if you've been in the military then .223 is pretty much 5.56 - so you'll know what it's like!