HOPPING RABBITS

PARTRIDGE

HI AGAIN

THIS IS THE AGE OLD TOPIC OF PELLETS . HERE GOS

A FREIND WHO SHOOTS WITH ME HAS AN AIR ARMS S410 IN 177 AND USING BESLEY MAGS

BUT HE HAS IS PROBLEM. HE SHOOTS AND HITS BUT NO KILL THE RABBIT JUST HOPE OFF AND I THEN HAVE TO TAKE OVER WITH MY LOGUN IN 22 USING BSA HIGH IMPACT TO GET THE KILL.

I HAVE TOLD HIM THAT THE PELLET IS NOT PUTTING ON THE BRAKES SO TO SPEAK WHEN HITTING AND GIVEING HIM THE KILL .

IS THE CORRECT AND WHAT PELLET WOULD YOU GUYS USE FOR RABBIT AT 30/40 YARDS

P.S THIS CHAP WAS A SNIPER IN THE SOUTH AFRICAN ARMY SO THERE IS A LITTLE BIT OF PRIDE HERE

THANKS AGAIN THANKS FOR THE HELP :

HI AGAIN

BUT HE HAS IS PROBLEM. HE SHOOTS AND HITS BUT NO KILL THE RABBIT JUST HOPE OFF AND I THEN HAVE TO TAKE OVER WITH MY LOGUN IN 22 USING BSA HIGH IMPACT TO GET THE KILL.

I HAVE TOLD HIM THAT THE PELLET IS NOT PUTTING ON THE BRAKES SO TO SPEAK WHEN HITTING AND GIVEING HIM THE KILL .

P.S THIS CHAP WAS A SNIPER IN THE SOUTH AFRICAN ARMY SO THERE IS A LITTLE BIT OF PRIDE HERE

Where is your mate hitting the rabbits?? I ask as with a sub 12ft lb airrifle i personally would only EVER aim for a head shot. Any decent 'dome' pellet by air arms,daystate etc etc.., should guarantee a kill at normal airgun ranges. I suggest your mate gets a chrono as his 410 may not be putting out full legal power..

HI AGAIN

Where is your mate hitting the rabbits?? I ask as with a sub 12ft lb airrifle i personally would only EVER aim for a head shot. Any decent 'dome' pellet by air arms,daystate etc etc.., should guarantee a kill at normal airgun ranges. I suggest your mate gets a chrono as his 410 may not be putting out full legal power..

hi did this last night and it putting out 11.70 and yes after i have skined them you can see that the pellet has

past right out the other side of the head.

Keep it closer to 30 than 40, aim for the area behind the eye below the ear, using anything vaguely hunting in the pellet department (ie not pointed, for that rifle try Air Arms own "hunter" pellets) and you should have a good kill almost every time.

If you are getting too much penetration, then change the pellet. You want something which will stop inside the head of the rabbit, if it does it is transferring all that energy to the rabbit. Try flat/hollowpoint.

HI AGAIN

hi did this last night and it putting out 11.70 and yes after i have skined them you can see that the pellet has

past right out the other side of the head.

hi i live in norfolk just out side of norwich . I shoot a air arm s200 and a logun all in 22 . but my frend shoots

a air arm 410 in 177. as for the land we have 3 farms and one small holding at the moment and have just been asked the shoot one of the many golf corses around here hope this helps. ps it good to give the land owner a drink at xmas

Bisley Mags are darn good pellets i don't think it's a pellet prob perhaps more a prob with where the rabbit is hit

I was out the other week with a .177 falcon FN19 using Bisley Magnums and a head shot from 40+ yards dropped my quarry with nothing but a squeek and that was it :oops:

Side wind may have affected the shot placement but as i say the Bisley's are a cracking hunting pellet.

As suggested before you MAY want to try domes but forget hollows at 40+ yards :lol:

The Logun Penetrator was a half decent pellet in my gun but they were a tad more pricey than standard pellets :)

You REALLY want a pellet that will deform (mushroom) or tumble upon entry to cause the MAXIMUM amount of tissue trauma while it is passing through the quarry.

I understand that as the Magnums are near Solid they tend to hold their shape and simply pass through the target without causing maximum tissue damage.

Try a 8 ish grain dome (good quality ones) and see how you get on as the 8 grain will be more hollow inside and this will help the pellet to deform on comming into contact with the tissue and it will transfer the energy better to the tissue as it mushrooms.

LG

Tell him to sell it and buy a .22...........

I'm running and I've got me flak jacket on :(

:lol::lol::lol:

The pellet going through is classic .177 known as drilling.

A bottle at christmas for all owners will be good and pretty much what all of us do mate :)

LB

Keep it closer to 30 than 40

What for ;) , if it was me I would either be increasing my distance, up to 60 Yards with a .177 or changing my pellets for a magnum / hollowpoint type.

Surely, decreasing the distance will only increase the penetration properties.

All I hear about is maximum distances of 30 yards, I shoot a lot further than that, with a .22. Clean kills every time at 55 Yards.

Simple answer that should work, change your pellets , weight or calibre.

All I can say is you are a better shot than me, or you can't judge distances :unsure: . 60 yards is a long way even for a full power .177 mate, no matter what anyone says.

I don't know you from Adam but I will take you at your word. If you can do it, and make it stick, good on you and good luck to ya.

As for .22 at extended ranges, I find the trajectory out at 50 yards+ hard to work with, again, if you can do it then fine. Practice makes perfect, out at that range the wind will be having a more amplified effect, and the energy left over to do work on the quarry will be way down so shot placement is even more crucial.

I assume this is rested, bipod / sticks or?

Hi Pin, yes, it is on a bipod, on a very still, non windy day. I hardly ever go hunting when any wind is present.

As for accuracy, I am proud of what I do and do not condone anyone attempting long-distance kills who haven't practiced for a very long time and/ or do not know their rifle as good as they should.

I know my rifle and what it is capable of. The distance is mainly due to the scope. I run out of mil dots at 55 yards and therefore I cannot correctly judge anything beyond that without error. I do shoot 40mm discs out to 80 Yards at the gun club with reduced efficiency, but this is more for fine tuning long distance windage errors. At this distance, a feather would cause it to go astray. This is done off a bipod and a bench.

All hunting is done with AA Hunters, a slightly domed pellet, checked for erraneous casting errors and all weighed to within .1 of a grain.

I have had a 55 Yd kill resting on a gatepost as well. There is nearly 6 ft/lbs of energy left in the pellet, a lot higher than the 4 ft/lbs required to put a rabbit down. Using this theory, it works out to be 85 Yards when the energy is at critical point (4.2 ft/lbs). Not only that, accuracy is degraded to less than 20%.

I am not stressed about anybodies theory of 30 Yards max because I do not stay at that, I know in myself I am capable and accurate and responsible to attempt such a shot, if in any doubt, I do not, and will not, fire.

Hope that has clarified a bit, made me feel better anyways.

Cheers

Nick

:blink: I use the AA hunters as well, was using fields until I saw those. Cracking pellet.

Pity my skills with the rifle have disappeared, was out with SS the other morning I couldn't have hit a barn door from a metre inside the barn, with a shovel :yahoo:

Ah yes, forgot to answer about the judging distances.

My mate and I were on our club shooting grounds and he gave me some random distances to

judge how far they were.

Visually I was miles out, up to 10 yards. With the scope set as I originally had it, I was about 5 yards out.

I adjusted the parallax ( set to 100 Yards ) down to a more realistic range. After a bit of fiddling and altering about, I managed to get a reading of 15 Yards to 60 Yards on the large sidewheel (3.5") parallax adjuster.

It was 30 - 900 Yards, totally useless before the change.

Now I can range find to within about 1 Yard from 15 - 60 Yards. This is ultimate accuracy for me when long range shooting. The scope is a 6 - 24 x 50 IR SWAT.

I like it now, rubbish before.

Nick