Rilfe for fox shooting

I have just got shooting rights on some land where they are having problems with foxs, I have a 2.2 lr for rabbits is this good enough for foxs.

Well, pretty much every answer so far, a .22lr will very easily deal with fox in the right circumstances....so, in what circumstances do you expect to be shooting foxes?

I personally would not use a .22 for a dedicated foxing rifle,not unless your within close range.

From my experience I would as a rule use the .223 excellent versatile rifle , most police firearms will accept this for the task.

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

I have Never understood this DEDICATED malarkey, what is that all about? This is a genuine question, I simply don't get it.

I have 8 rifles on my FAC, (and assorted shotguns/air rifles) NONE of them are dedicated to anything, the most suitable comes out for any given situation! :yes::good:

unless location is an issue though dekers a .223 will be fine to shoot any fox at most ranges so is as close to a specific fox caliber as you can get. If you go out on most ground foxing you don't take a .22lr and would have issues getting it on the basis of foxes alone, however .223 throw down foxing as good reason and you will get it.

Any of the .22cf rifles will do the job brilliantly if it's purely for foxes.

Possibly it might be worth stepping up to a .243 thou if u have any future ambition off shooting deer, as it is legal for shooting any uk deer if needed, the smaller ones aren't

If u were having fox problems in the meantime u could change ur .22lr ammo to HV will give u a bit more ommppf but still at sensible shortish ranges, no subsitute for the right tool

Even if it were on my certificate I would not recognise a .22LR as a suitable calibre for regular fox shooting with. Yes it will kill a fox quickly and humanely within "sensible ranges" and with the correct bullet placement and as such I see it as fine for shooting the odd opportunistic fox - As long as it is conditioned for fox on your FAC.

However, if I were asked to advise someone of a rifle for regular foxing with i personally would advise on getting at least a .222 rifle!

Further to that if they were thinking of the possibility of getting some deer permission in the future as well as foxing I would advise a .243 as being the better option.

I think the term 'dedicated fox rifle' reflects shooters use of a rifle at ranges which are predictable and therefore the set-up stays the same - no changes to MOA just sight up or down a bit.

We all need to check our ballistics and know what to crank up or down for a longer (or shorter) shot which I presume is what Dekers does readily. I would want to use a .223 /.243/ .308 for fox or (APPROPRIATE) deer whilst out with any. It does tend to increase the number of guns held if shooters regard them as species specific (mainly responding to police controls).

I reckon a .17 hornet .22 centrefire and a .308 would cover all the shooting you ever need if you could use them flexibly and 'dope the scopes' correctly.

I do however have a .22lr,.17 hornet, .223, .243 and .308 on my ticket and there they will remain until I am fully open for all calibres, when I will 'rationilse' in the light of preference etc etc..

I would therefore agree a .22lr is suitable for fox but as everyone else has said, subject to having relevant conditions, (to which I would add vermin) and at VERY close range - I would only shoot foxes with a .22 lr at sub 50 yds, but thats me.

Even if it were on my certificate I would not recognise a .22LR as a suitable calibre for regular fox shooting with. Yes it will kill a fox quickly and humanely within "sensible ranges" and with the correct bullet placement and as such I see it as fine for shooting the odd opportunistic fox - As long as it is conditioned for fox on your FAC.

However, if I were asked to advise someone of a rifle for regular foxing with i personally would advise on getting at least a .222 rifle!

Further to that if they were thinking of the possibility of getting some deer permission in the future as well as foxing I would advise a .243 as being the better option.

I would ask in what circumstances they actually shoot foxes? :yes: :good:

For Regular Fox shooting I use a rimfire, and there is no question in my mind I shoot more with my rimfire collection that with my centerfire collection, they are not opportunist, they are baited to a designated point and dealt with, a Rimfire IS the Right tool.

I shoot a lot in peoples back gardens, I surveyed another this morning, that's why I have a very open mind and select the right tool for the job.

IF you always shoot them at 30ft in people back gardens then a .22lr or maybe a HMR/WMR is a DEDICATED fox rifle and the most appropriate!

Obviously I don't use it for 200 yards foxes down the Stables/Golf Course/Farm/Whatever!

That's the advantage of 8 FAC tools and wide experience on vastly differing sites! :yes::good:

Lets not everyone start...well you are different, true, I am also realistic, too many others seem to have an opinion that foxes are only ever shot at 200 yards or more...and I am not pointing fingers at anyone here, certainly not you Frienchieboy.

Edited by Dekers

Was just going to add most folk will have a favouite wether it is .222, .223, .22.250 etc but to be fair very little difference between them for an average shooter to worry about, some areas tend to have more of 1 calibre than others so ask at local gunshop which is the most popular locally so easier to get 2nd hand rifles and bullets. but the treble 2 and .223 are pretty popular throughout

thats decidedly pedantic dekers, unless you are back garden foxing then a centerfire is likely to be your tool of choice

There is NOTHING pedantic about it, comments form others about centrefires show a lack of understanding of professional work.

It is seldom I have to take long shots at fox anywhere, they tend to crop up when I'm out for deer or socially and see distant fox.

Most that cause problems round the stables, chickens, sheep etc can be dealt with at pretty close range with proper survey/research/planning/or baiting!

That is the difference between professional work and going for a stroll round the fields at night to see what turns up! :yes::good:

..and again I'm not having a go at anyone!

Edited by Dekers

Most shooters on here I would assume have farm land or similar to shoot over,which seems reasonable to have a dedicated rifle not a collection of 8 tools( thats cheating )

I for one have NEVER shot a fox in a backgarden so I safely say my dedicated rifle of choice is a .223 Versatile tool

anyway I have said my tuppence worth

now back to more bullet case cleaning and prepping lol

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

I have Never understood this DEDICATED malarkey, what is that all about? This is a genuine question, I simply don't get it.

I have 8 rifles on my FAC, (and assorted shotguns/air rifles) NONE of them are dedicated to anything, the most suitable comes out for any given situation! :yes::good:

In Essex thankfully they die quickly with out the lingering death from the .22lr 17hmr brigade as they have the correct size quarry to shoot with plenty of rabbits, hares, crows etc…. :whistling:

TEH

I take your point Dekers but let's face it, how many members on this forum shoot more foxes in peoples back gardens that they do "out in the fields"?

Yes, obviously a moderated rimfire is a perfect tool for the conditions you describe (Back gardens and "sensitive areas" etc) but my reply was aimed as a generalisation to those that shoot around fields and farms.

In saying this I am not faulting Dekers for shooting foxes in back gardens - It is a necessary job that has to be done. I am merely generalising and trying to take into account the way in which the majority of members go about fox shooting/control around their permissions!

I guess it all comes down to "horses for courses".

I have just got shooting rights on some land where they are having problems with foxs, I have a 2.2 lr for rabbits is this good enough for foxs.

I would get a .223 as well as the 22lr thats what i have and i would use either of them on a fox depending on the distance

22lr i probably wouldn't attempt over 50/60 yards .223 i wouldn't attempt over 200/250 yards

I take your point Dekers but let's face it, how many members on this forum shoot more foxes in peoples back gardens that they do "out in the fields"?

Yes, obviously a moderated rimfire is a perfect tool for the conditions you describe (Back gardens and "sensitive areas" etc) but my reply was aimed as a generalisation to those that shoot around fields and farms.

In saying this I am not faulting Dekers for shooting foxes in back gardens - It is a necessary job that has to be done. I am merely generalising and trying to take into account the way in which the majority of members go about fox shooting/control around their permissions!

I guess it all comes down to "horses for courses".

I agree, my point was simply the stereotypical view adopted by so many slagging off the rimfires with no knowledge or thought for the whole world, just their little bit of opportunist fox somewhere in the next county!

A bit of thought/planning means there is seldom a need to take long shots at foxes anywhere, I cannot afford to suggest to landowners that I will wonder around for a few days and hope something turns up, they expect plans and results, so I have to work it out professionally to minimise time/costs and bring resolution to problems asap.

Too many have no concept of this and ignorantly slag off rimfires for fox!

Many get by on 1 or 2 rifles, I can't, and have the choice of selecting the best tool I can for any job, if I use a rimfire it isn't a compromise or under gunned or because I don't have anything better, it is the BEST tool in the circumstances,

It's a big world out there and there is a lot of difference between wondering around with a mate and hoping you will have some good news for a farmer, whilst enjoying a chat/laugh and a fag and looking forward to a pint later and what I have to do!! (yeah, I know, another stereotypical view)

The difference is I see and understand the sports shooters view, but they don't seem to see the professional view!

Rimfire is for rabbit, centrefire is for fox ....... BS!

....again, I'm not pointing fingers in any direction!

:good:

Edited by Dekers

I agree, my point was simply the stereotypical view adopted by so many slagging off the rimfires with no knowledge or thought for the whole world, just their little bit of opportunist fox somewhere in the next county!

A bit of thought/planning means there is seldom a need to take long shots at foxes anywhere, I cannot afford to suggest to landowners that I will wonder around for a few days and hope something turns up, they expect plans and results, so I have to work it out professionally to minimise time/costs and bring resolution to problems asap.

Too many have no concept of this and ignorantly slag off rimfires for fox!

Many get by on 1 or 2 rifles, I can't, and have the choice of selecting the best tool I can for any job, if I use a rimfire it isn't a compromise or under gunned or because I don't have anything better, it is the BEST tool in the circumstances,

It's a big world out there and there is a lot of difference between wondering around with a mate and hoping you will have some good news for a farmer, whilst enjoying a chat/laugh and a fag and looking forward to a pint later and what I have to do!! (yeah, I know, another stereotypical view)

The difference is I see and understand the sports shooters view, but they don't seem to see the professional view!

Rimfire is for rabbit, centrefire is for fox ....... BS!

....again, I'm not pointing fingers in any direction!

:good:

+1

Got to agree in every respect with this

I've never understood those that say 17HMR isn't enough for fox either.

It's evidenced on video and I've seen it in the flesh, at sensible ranges and yes even 100 yards plus, a well placed shot from a 17 drops them on the spot.

Everyone knows how accurate they are.

Dead is dead at the end of the day, and if that's what you're acheiving as often as possible I don't see the problem.

Drops them on the spot most of the time few post about the ones that go wrong. I've seen one jump up and make it away from my Gwp this year, that's a rare thing for an uninjured one let alone one that's been shot. Deniers techniques are fine for his tame ones but try it with our Wiley country foxes and its another matter, some bait some don't you'd certainly restrict yourself a lot at the times we shoot the most trying to bait them to 50 yards

There is and will all ways be exceptions to situations, however from my prospective a town fox is a nuisance but when it is moves or is dumped in the countryside to kill young stock ( lambs), take nesting birds or running amuck in a pen then it is a pest….

I shoot my fair share of foxes and can only say that once I could have used a .22.

Foxes can be dumb but they are not stupid, so when one comes in parks his or her **** on the edge of a flock of lambs and it is out lets say 175 yards. It only takes a little to send that fox off in to the night to return and kill a lamb.

As we will see later on in the year when the crops are cut there will be loads of posts with people whacking dumb cubs ( me included) that is because the have no fear or sense.

When squeaking a fox into a distance so you can dispatch it with a .22 you add a few extra factors…

The problem comes up when it will come no further, and then the distance to shot is a huge factor as people will take a chance due to several things, one being the inability to judge distance at night is very hard.

It can be done as this thread proves that, however overall foxes keep a distance beyond the capability of a .22

There is very little leeway on the shooting of deer and plenty of Muntjac shot with a .308 weigh less than some of the large foxes which are shot in this country through out the year…

TEH