European powder manufacturers?

With all the grief we seem to be having with getting ammunition components at the moment I'm seriously thinking of moving all my loads over to European origin. Which makers are from this side of the pond apart from Viht? We have a few bullet makers. S&B, Prvi, Norma... Any others?

I know it's not a fool proof idea, but the Americans and their ammo hoarding recently really hasn't helped us a lot!

I changed to using Vhit powders about four years ago and never looked back.

Lapua make a very good range of bullets, and there are some RWS that might be worth a try, only thing is they tend to be more expensive than a lot of the offerings from across the pond.

Vectan produce rifle powders with a broad range of usage, the TU range (tubular) in TU3000 TU5000 and TU7000 cover most of the common rounds and data is available fron Lylevale Express the uk importer. I have some Vectan rifle data if anyone wants it but its a few years old now.

Seems the Vhita plant is up for sale by SNPE/Eurenco: they also own PB-Clermont, Bofors, and surplus capacity.

Heres a rough list of others, so have a search around for powders by-

Rheinmetal's Nitrochemie - TR140 and Elcho 17, 33, 50? (seems they also brew Rel 17, 33 ...?) (see Target Shooter free ezine).

Nobelsport - Vectan.

Maxam's/UEE - PB and CB

RUAG's - Norma, RWS, Geko, Hirtenberger

Looking at some of the sites these brands all have UK suppliers.

I've looked up Vectan powder and found a pretty good source of data - http://www.lhs-germany.de/en/service/loading-data-download/vectan-for-rifles/

It looks like SP12 will work in both the 8x60 (just finding data for that is pretty good going!) and my .338WM. Two calibres covered by one powder is handy. Due to their size I'm not really bothered if I don't get maximum possible performance from either of them.

I assume SP is spherical and available here? I haven't got that far yet but if it is then great, it will throw better than the tubular type.

Don't know where LHS got the bit about producing until 2014 from, no other reports about that as far as I can see anywhere. Eurencos statement of the same date (March 2013) says they are looking for a buyer and that production should continue as they have four other plants.

I've looked up Vectan powder and found a pretty good source of data - http://www.lhs-germany.de/en/service/loading-data-download/vectan-for-rifles/

It looks like SP12 will work in both the 8x60 (just finding data for that is pretty good going!) and my .338WM. Two calibres covered by one powder is handy. Due to their size I'm not really bothered if I don't get maximum possible performance from either of them.

I assume SP is spherical and available here? I haven't got that far yet but if it is then great, it will throw better than the tubular type.

That link is brilliant thank you for posting it here, i only had some old data sent me by lylvale a few years ago.

www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5149753/8x60_Magnum

any use? ....

Have you tried "load data/com"? Or the RWS rifle cartridge v list from RUAG Ammotec?

Edited by seeker

There are a few loads on loaddata.com but you have to subscribe to read the load weights. I will if I have to, but I'd rather get the info for free if I can.

RWS make 8x60, but not 8x60R. That's where the issues start as mine is the rimmed version. As far as I know there is no factory ammo or brass available for it apart from one custom maker in Germany who charges 4.50 per round. They don't appear to sell brass, only complete rounds. There is also a lot of info out there on the 8x60R Kropatschek - a completely different round unfortunately!

I can work with 8x60 Mauser loads and reduce them by 10%. That's what I did with my 7x57R from 7x57 Mauser loads and it seems the 8x60R is the same. Being an 8x60R Magnum, I could probably run standard 8x57 Mauser loads but I don't need to - it's a big round for what I do so I've bought some quite light bullets and plan to load them gently.

aaah ... Did not see the R!

The custom maker is probable Huelsen-Hoernber and I thought they only made brass: I think they list on Midway?

I was shown some olde calibres by a German gunsmith who said there was brass available for most of them from HH

Edited by seeker

You didn't see the R because I forgot to add it! Sorry! :blush:

You're right, that is the brass maker. Looking at their list they make all sorts of random stuff! I think I may need to just get my money out and buy 100 - it'll save all the fluffing about trying to form it. Having said that it won't be cheap. I'm not expecting to see any change from £300.

Not sure if there's any mileage here but maybe a call to Kynamco at Mildenhall ... They load for some of the older large calibres, but not 8x60r, but they might use HH as a source for brass??

Edited by seeker

I spoke to them a while ago regarding .375H&H brass - and then nearly fell off of my chair when I read their response! Not cheap!.They load ammo for the world's finest rifles and richest hunters. Unfortunately that's not me.

I will give them a try if all else fails though. Cheers for mentioning it.