Steel Shot with Fibre Wad

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OO buck that rubbish to say steel shot will damage your barrel today. Modern guns have no trouble with barral dammage from steel. Years ago I disposed of my old style english guns to use a gun that will cope with modern steel loads and I have never regreted it. The correct steel load will kill as well as lead but many people have not bothered to learn how to shoot steel properly.

I have never tried steel,i cant get my head around steel balls rattling along the barrels I shoot berettas diamond pigeon and dt10 and if I am right they have a lot of alloy in the barrels so in my head steel will wear and damage the softer material is there anyone out there who has shot steel for a long time without damage or has anyone suffered any damage,

Guest cookoff013

I have never tried steel,i cant get my head around steel balls rattling along the barrels I shoot berettas diamond pigeon and dt10 and if I am right they have a lot of alloy in the barrels so in my head steel will wear and damage the softer material is there anyone out there who has shot steel for a long time without damage or has anyone suffered any damage,

my supernova shot 1000 steel shells in a day, and there isnt even a dimple. first the shot isnt rattling around the barrels or wad.

second, the alloys involved in barrel making are hard.

steel shot is manufactures to have a lower hardness, if i recolect its less than 110 on the vickers hardness test.

the plastic wads are thicker, and contain more polymer, more density and contain elastic compounds so that the wad doesnt break. and has extreme durability.

i`d also like to dismiss a dumb fact that people are scared of using steel shot. its the chromium lining, it is in the barrels to stop corrosion, not wear.

research the topic, i`ve seen pictures of a barrel that was scored completely, this was done by a homeloader who used lead style fibre wads to gouge out grooves.

it took a few shells too. so who knows what he was firing, as there is no fibre / steel data.

I think people are missing my point, i was just asking if steel shot carts are made with a fibre wad, i want to use them on a walked up shoot that i do in the season but were only allowed to use fibre. From the posts it eould appear that they domt make them!

Guest cookoff013

yes steel is ok in your guns but only with the right wad not a fibre wad as in the first post

they have a fibre wad equivalent. the shot is still contained in a fibre shotcup.

Is that one called FSC or something like that? I can only find it in shot size 4!

Gamebore 12G Silver Steel. It is still on the website (checked 2 mins ago) and comes up as 32g No. 4 in fibre shot cup. 1400fps 76mm case. I think that puts it squarely into the steel proof marks required category.

Does anyone know of a steel shell with fibre shot cup that can be fired through a standerd nitro proofed gun? 12 gauge would be useful and 20 gauge would be perfect.

edit: Typo

Edited by Dangerous Brian

As a newbie to this, I've always used No6 shot for Pigeon and Phesies, I know No4 will kill the bird but far less pellets of course. Cant find 6's with fibre anywhere!

Steel 4's would be fine. As they are less dense than lead, there would be a good pellet count in a 32 gm load.

I have shot approx 2000 Gambore Steel "Fibre" shells over the last 5 years through a modern o/u and there is not one scratch in the barrel,the fibre wad totaly encloses the shot rather like a steel plastic wad.Oh yes forgot to add they are a 3" case.

Edited by DOLLSEYES

Guest cookoff013

I have shot approx 2000 Gambore Steel "Fibre" shells over the last 5 years through a modern o/u and there is not one scratch in the barrel,the fibre wad totaly encloses the shot rather like a steel plastic wad.Oh yes forgot to add they are a 3" case.

could you give us some more info please?

-what was the shotsize like?

-as these are limited to uk#4 shot, thats quite limiting.

Gamebore 12G Silver Steel. It is still on the website (checked 2 mins ago) and comes up as 32g No. 4 in fibre shot cup. 1400fps 76mm case. I think that puts it squarely into the steel proof marks required category.

Does anyone know of a steel shell with fibre shot cup that can be fired through a standerd nitro proofed gun? 12 gauge would be useful and 20 gauge would be perfect.

edit: Typo

I am not sure? Gamebore also have the Game and Wetland steel which is a plastic wad 32g / 70mm / 1400 fps. They say shot size 4 & 5 are ok through normal guns whilst size 3 requires HP steel proof. So it is possible the fibre wad silver steel is also ok through non HP steel proof guns?

Obviously I am not suggesting to just try it, but rather it seems like it is at least worth checking up? :good:

Edited by HW682

I am not sure? Gamebore also have the Game and Wetland steel which is a plastic wad 32g / 70mm / 1400 fps. They say shot size 4 & 5 are ok through normal guns whilst size 3 requires HP steel proof. So it is possible the fibre wad silver steel is also ok through non HP steel proof guns?

Obviously I am not suggesting to just try it, but rather it seems like it is at least worth checking up? :good:

Hi HW682, Many thanks for having a delve and posting. From what I can see though on the Gamebore website; Silver steel is available in a 76mm case only which is outside CIP guidelines for standard Nitro proof (to my mind).

You found the 70mm clay version with fibre wad which looks promising but would be lacking on live targets (in my opinion) with a 7.5 steel shot. Looks like they have all the components I am looking for, just not all in the same shell! Maybe in a while they will put one together so it is possible to do an odd duck drive with oldish guns and not break the bank by having to use tungsten or Bismuth or leave bits of plastic everywhere. Of course there may be an issue with trying to cram 24g + of no. 4 or 5 shot in one of those fibre cups.

Hi HW682, Many thanks for having a delve and posting. From what I can see though on the Gamebore website; Silver steel is available in a 76mm case only which is outside CIP guidelines for standard Nitro proof (to my mind).

You found the 70mm clay version with fibre wad which looks promising but would be lacking on live targets (in my opinion) with a 7.5 steel shot. Looks like they have all the components I am looking for, just not all in the same shell! Maybe in a while they will put one together so it is possible to do an odd duck drive with oldish guns and not break the bank by having to use tungsten or Bismuth or leave bits of plastic everywhere. Of course there may be an issue with trying to cram 24g + of no. 4 or 5 shot in one of those fibre cups.

You'd be surprised. Pigeons at 35 yards are no problem with this load - i've killed plenty of pigeons using them, and a few mallard, too. It's interesting that the steel 7.5 are 2.5mm.

Sorry - the ones i used were the plastic wad version, but there isn't much difference.

Edited by motty

You'd be surprised. Pigeons at 35 yards are no problem with this load - i've killed plenty of pigeons using them, and a few mallard, too. It's interesting that the steel 7.5 are 2.5mm.

Sorry - the ones i used were the plastic wad version, but there isn't much difference.

Hi Motty

Not wishing to go off thread and turn this into the usual 7.5 vs 6 shotsize debate I am surprised that pigeons at 35 yds with this load are no problem. Using size 7.5 in lead splits the pigeon shooting community into two very distinct camps as we already know but then reducing the pellet weight still further by going to steel is another big step again. From what I have read (not seen first hand in the field mind you) is that the general rule with steel is you go up two shot sizes larger than lead to maintain knock down power. Quite willing to be proved wrong though.