Do I really need to clean my gun

njc110381

Normally, I'd clean my gun before it goes back in the cabinet. I went out at the farm today for half an hour, and only fired eight shots. I'm going again on sunday, so is it ok to leave it or best not? It didn't get wet. I'm thinking I'll just rub the rag over the outside and clean it properly on sunday if it can wait? Will it harm the gun if it's left? Cheers for any replys :)

cleaning will never do any harm only good but your gun should be stored stock end up so that exses oil dont run into trigger mec

also i never wory about cleaning only time i clean is if the gun gets soaked

my larona is donkeys years old now and never misses a beat a field gun ruff and tuf

dont worry so much mate enjoy your shooting

cheers kirky

Thanks for the advice. Kirky, already got that sorted, but thanks for mentioning it buddy. I mop the excess oil out when it's clean, so there's nothing to spoil the stock. The cleaner I use has VP90 in it. I also use a sachet in the cabinet so I don't need to store it heavily oiled. My main concern was that I have read powder residue is supposed to be really bad if left for long periods :)

Some people never ever clean the bore. Thats what I've been told by a lot of people but is it true?

I wouldn't bother cleaning it thoroughly if your going to be using it a few days later, especially if you haven't fired it. Wipe a rag over the outside just encase youv'e touched the metal cause the salt off your hands will make it rust.

A complete clean is good practice but not completely nescessary. A wipe over with an oily cloth is a must.

I try to clean every time I shoot but dont worry too much if I dont. Some people shoot thousands of rounds before cleaning the barrels. If you read any of the American forums you'll find a lot of people only clean the barrel once a year.

I would defo clean it if its been raining though.

Leeboy

As has been said, cleaning if done properly will do nothing but good. Failing to clean might not yield the same results.

As with anything in this life prevention is always easier than than cure. If you let something rust you will be forever fighting it, if you don't you won't :)

The residue left by burnt powder from shotshells is corrosive. My take on it is the barrels came to you from the maker clean and shiny. If he hadn't meant them to stay that way he wouldn't have chromed them or polished them for you :(

Its true you don't have to, a quick wipe and occasional bore clean is fine too, depends on if you like your gun as something to use and look at, or something to use. To some its just tool to use, and that's fine too.

If you dont clean your bores every time you put it away, the residue attracts moisture and creates a slightly acidic film. In non chromed bores this microscopically erodes the bore - not noticeable over the short term but gradually degrades the surface.

If you have an expensive gun or just care about it, then clean it every time, even if its a spray down the bores and a wedge of tissue on the rod.

A really good tip for all of you - go to your local Bookers trade market (ask for a day pass as your holding a business function - if you havent got a card) and get a roll of yellow kitchen cloth, in tears off in sheets that fit your cleaning rods and wont tear or break up as you work it up and down. Its about £7 a roll and has far more on it than any proprietary gun cloths.

mine used to get the works when i first had them,,,,,,,,,,,,, the novelty wore off real fast,,,,,, begining of the season and once in the middle if nessasary, i find the last shell down cleans the bore from the last shell down, the actions and all moving parts are coated, chokes as well.

obviously weather conditions play a large part in cleaning your own guns, moisture is a killer, the majority of shooters i know will wipe down with a oil damped cloth, this will sufice in general, but each to his own right, i hear all the calls of all auto's need cleaning regularly, again having sent upside of 12 thousand through my 390 and 8+ through one of the 391's, ive never given it a thought, when it fails it'll get cleaned, any of you with a 391 can turn the gas port 180 degrees to make it easier to clean if required.

one thing to remember is a good visual of ones "equipment"( bet that broke a smile) prior to taking out in the field is a must, many a story told of parts missing or pin broken, or wrong gun alltogether.

Martin

my guns are clean , and well oiled when i go out hunting , and they never fail, touch wood , depends on the gun and when u are going to use it next , on a blued gun sweat of your hands will rust it so will bird blood A a regula lite gun oil works , and a wipe with an oily rag after handling will keep it in top notch order,

im shooting mainly auto, so the mag tube and push arms are allways checked and oiled before i go shooting , i have heard that the rotory bolt of benelli, franchi type needs cleaning and oiling regulary,also on an auto it pays to oil the bolt ejector springs . in fact autos should be cleaned and oiled a bit more than doubles and i like shooting with a clean gun , im a bit of a women on it , if some thing does gos wrong on the shot off the year clean guns can not be blamed

bore, with modern chrome lined guns it doesnt matter so much , a wipe out with toleit paper will do, in fact i use it all the time to wipe down , it absorbs water and oil , when messing around with oil u get it all over your hands its this oil that i use to wipe the barrles down with, i generally dont use a rag,a few drops on the barrle then rub it in with my hands then you know how much oil you have on the gun and you can rub it in , . do not over oil the inside of a bore, and wipe all oil of the wood work with a cloth.

but allways cheak that your choke tubes are greased and tite in the gun before use, , when a gun is not in great use, it can pay to loosen of the choke tubes so they dont frezze in the barrle expecally on a wet gun or in longish storage like over summer , so all ways titen them before going hunting.

RUST NEVER SLEEPS