Footpaths

sitsinhedges

it would be hard to know if anyones walking down the path behind you because your looking ahead all the time for pigeons coming at you and into the decoys, your not doing anything wrong but you could cause alarm to anyone walking past you when you shoot at a bird so its up to you

we have had a few complaints lately from walkers and canal boat owners about shooting and we were over 100 yards from the footpath and towpath and shooting away from them

it would be hard to know if anyones walking down the path behind you because your looking ahead all the time for pigeons coming at you and into the decoys, your not doing anything wrong but you could cause alarm to anyone walking past you when you shoot at a bird so its up to you

we have had a few complaints lately from walkers and canal boat owners about shooting and we were over 100 yards from the footpath and towpath and shooting away from them

This is the thing, the potential to cause alarm or scare them. You're definitely safer shooting away from them rather than towards them from the other side of the field though.

I always put out signs on one of my perms. The footpath/bridal way cuts along one edge but I have had problems with people wandering off the path. There's not a lot you can do aside from giving them a friendly warning that they are putting themselves in danger. I always get an apology and a lot of interest in what I'm doing so any positive response to the sport is good.

My FEO suggested putting out a bell for horse riders to ring but I have never bothered as it would probably get stolen.

This is the thing, the potential to cause alarm or scare them. You're definitely safer shooting away from them rather than towards them from the other side of the field though.

Alarm or scare?

Makes non odds, perfectly legal to shoot over footpaths, I have to, the bi sect our farm in every direction.

Alarm or scare?

Makes non odds, perfectly legal to shoot over footpaths, I have to, the bi sect our farm in every direction.

I think it would matter if they ring the police and explain that they are frightened because someone is shooting a gun in very close proximity and they don't feel safe. You might not be breaking any laws but you afternoons sport might be interupted with a helicopter and armed response police.

I think it would matter if they ring the police and explain that they are frightened because someone is shooting a gun in very close proximity and they don't feel safe. You might not be breaking any laws but you afternoons sport might be interupted with a helicopter and armed response police.

So? I'm perfectly entitled to protect, at the minute pigeons raping our barley.

Never ever happened to me, part of walking through the countryside as far as I'm concerned.

I certainly won't be changing my shooting in case I 'don't break any laws'.

Edited by kyska

So? I'm perfectly entitled to protect, at the minute pigeons raping our barley.

Never ever happened to me, part of walking through the countryside as far as I'm concerned.

I certainly won't be changing my shooting in case I 'don't break any laws'.

I agree with you. The way things are today though mean you can get a police response very easily which is best avoided if at all possible don't you think?

I agree with you. The way things are today though mean you can get a police response very easily which is best avoided if at all possible don't you think?

Agreed, but I'm not pandering to the footpath users, I'm live on a big farm, they know who to ring.

It's part of walking in the countryside as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed, but I'm not pandering to the footpath users, I'm live on a big farm, they know who to ring.

It's part of walking in the countryside as far as I'm concerned.

The response around here is to take your guns away regardless and leave you to get them back from your FEO. Think I'd rather try and avoid that situation :oops:

The response around here is to take your guns away regardless and leave you to get them back from your FEO. Think I'd rather try and avoid that situation :oops:

For what? If no offence has been committed, they are on tight ropes seizing guns.

I'd be personally meeting my police commissioner if that happened to me, MP if that wasn't fruitful.