Sticklebacks

stuartyork

Good afternoon all

I'm stocking a 2500 litre wildlife friendly pond in my garden.

Does anyone know of a pond or lake near Sunderland that has a good stock of resident sticklebacks. I want approx. 10 pairs of fish to stock my pond.

The pond is well stocked and ready.

I know a lot of you chaps spend a lot of time out and about, so \I think if anyone can help it's you.

Any help gratefully received.

All best

Stuart

Your not allowed to take any live fish away from any lake, pond or river in the uk. The water zoo near me in Peterborough (which I know is miles away from you) sells roach, Rudd and they used to sell pike but that was a long time ago. My thought being that perhaps a local fish stockist will sell them to you.

Your not allowed to take any live fish away from any lake, pond or river in the uk. The water zoo near me in Peterborough (which I know is miles away from you) sells roach, Rudd and they used to sell pike but that was a long time ago. My thought being that perhaps a local fish stockist will sell them to you.

Kids do it all the time and I've never heard of any of them being stopped on their way home to be searched for live fish !!

I'm sure they do, but that's the EA rulling. I think the actual rule is something along the lines of you can take no more than two fish (dead) from any water in the uk without first gaining permission from the owner of the body of water. I just wouldn't want to be caught by an EA officer taking them away.

Edited by Sir_Adam

Interesting responses, thanks all.

I'm a keen salmon and trout fisherman, I frequently take fish from the rivers I fish and eat them. I also use minnows as bait for salmon and pike. I wonder if the definition quoted applies to all fish and all waterways?

I'll e-mail the environment agency and ask the question.

Thanks all.

I also as a child, and as a Dad allowed my kids to catch sticklebacks.

Cheers

Interesting responses, thanks all.

I'm a keen salmon and trout fisherman, I frequently take fish from the rivers I fish and eat them. I also use minnows as bait for salmon and pike. I wonder if the definition quoted applies to all fish and all waterways?

I'll e-mail the environment agency and ask the question.

Thanks all.

I also as a child, and as a Dad allowed my kids to catch sticklebacks.

Cheers

It does , if you are using minnows as bait then legally they should be caught from the venue you are fishing , not transported from another water ( not saying thats what you are doing)

The EA does allow for removal of some fish to eat , but these should be taken dead and even this is subject to the controlling clubs rules.

Having said all that it would be a right jobsworth of a EA officer that would begrudge you a few sticklebacks for a wildlife pond. :whistling:

I suppose if you get a lot of EA Officers walking about you would have to be careful. but if you didn't look them in the eye or act suspiciously they would have no reason to suspect you are smuggling live fish, so I reckon you could get away with it quite easily.

I remember when a few people from a different part of europe started taking a few carp from lakes... it only started with the odd one or two . then it became a real expensive problem :whistling:

it put another angle on the phrase Pole fishing

Edited by jasper3