tips on setting up in the middle of a field

VINCED 686

I'm going out tomorrow to shoot a 80 acre field. I did a recce today and they are feeding about 50m from the hedge line. the problem is the wind is blowing into the hedge and the forecast for tomorrow is showing strong winds in the same direction. one flight line is coming down wind the other two are going cross wind ...one from the left and the other from the right. I was planning to flag out a section of the field to increase my chances.

I've had mixed results setting up in the middle of a field and would like any suggestions, like hide construction, pattern etc. or should I set up against the hedge with the wind in my face

if I'm setting up with the wind in my face is there anything I should look out for ??

There are a good number of birds feeding and have been building up in the last two days.

It looks like ill be in for a good day and I really don't want to make any avoidable mistakes so any tips or advice would be appreciated

So I get to the field around half two. There is plenty of movement and the flight lines are still going steady.

The first job was to get some flags out which was a good call because around 100 - 150 pigeons lifted from the spot I intended to put them. It was very tempting to set up there but I had a plan and whenever I've second guessed myself in the pass I've always regretted it.

Flags out and birds still moving around the field :rolleyes:

I drive to the chosen spot and set up the hide ( using all the helpful tips that I received) . I'll try to put up some photos but it may take some time :/

Next the decoys go out ... a mixture of real birds and flocked shells in a semi random pattern. I also put in a floater and the flapper. I decided to leave the magnet for a bit and see how it goes.

I get settled into the hide and Its not long before I get the first ........ a right to left about 40 yds out

With that shot everything in the field lifted off and started moving about. It was like shooting over winter rape. I had a couple more in the commotion but they soon settled down but at the same time stopped committing and taking a wide berth as they flew by. I did a total check .... hide was ok. pattern was fine. so I put out the magnet and game on :yahoo::yahoo:

They started to come in . It was a steady pace but great shooting. it would go quiet every now and then so Id have a pick up (no dog yet) ad move the pattern about and it would liven up again.

I had a frantic 20 minutes as soon as I decided I was hungry and tried to eat my dinner !!

Then as quickly as it started it stopped with only the odd bird coming in.

I started packing up around 7:30

The total for the afternoon was 45 picked up. there were two which I swear were lung shot but couldn't find them and one that just plain disappeared. There was a pile of feathers about 70 yds out but no bird..... one of my best shots of the afternoon as well :sad1:

Not a massive bag but my best so far and loads learnt !!

So thanks for any advice give guys :good::good: :good: :good: