Legal Tender - Scottish notes ?

TaxiDriver

I've long been under the impression that Scottish notes (in Pounds Sterling) are perfectly legal tender in the UK ??

So why on earth does my local chippy think they have any reason to refuse to accept them ?

(and tonight, a big row in my local KFC as they refused to accept a Clydesdale Bank £20 Sterling note)

They don't have to exchange them for british currency ???

If it's illegal to refuse to accept them, (being as they are in GB Pounds Sterling)

What law(s) are the places breaking by refusing to accept legal tender

It is the same for NI bank notes. You just have to get used to it. I've tried.explaining in the past but the bottom line is that the employee behind the counter doesn't want to risk a telling off or docked wages.

Anyone from NI travelling to mainland UK usually swaps our notes for Bank of England notes before we leave. Atm machines at airports are usually set to dispense only BoE notes. It is just easier. Any mainland bank will swap Scottish or NI notes over the counter no problem.

TBH it used to annoy me that legal tender was being refused, but it is just something I do now before traveling to the mainland UK.

Scottish and Irish notes are not "legal tender" in England or Wales. http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/faqs.aspx#16

However, "legal tender" has a narrow definition relating to the settlement of debts. The point is, a proprietor can be stubborn and refuse service/payment.

I should point out that Sterling issued by Irish and Scottish banks are every bit as good: they're backed by BoE-issued sterling. I.e. a Scottish/Irish bank has to deposit at least the same value of BoE-issued Sterling with the central bank before it can start printing its own notes.

Scottish and Irish notes are not "legal tender" in England or Wales. http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/faqs.aspx#16

However, "legal tender" has a narrow definition relating to the settlement of debts. The point is, a proprietor can be stubborn and refuse service/payment.

I should point out that Sterling issued by Irish and Scottish banks are every bit as good: they're backed by BoE-issued sterling. I.e. a Scottish/Irish bank has to deposit at least the same value of BoE-issued Sterling with the central bank before it can start printing its own notes.

Well, you learn something new every day! I didn't know that our notes weren't legal tender in Eng and Wales. Hats off to likes of Center Parcs who accept our notes without issue.

For a while the Northern Bank here produced plastic fivers as an experiment. Some made a bit of money by selling our plastic fivers for 7,8,9 and even 10 pounds to mainland collectors on the bay.

I sold a car a while back and the fella paid me part of it in hundred quid scottish notes. I had to phone a friend as it was a new one on me, i was sure he was trying to have me over. The fact that there were different types of the same value didnt help. I was so glad when the bank accepted it!

The Isle of Man used to be confusing - 40 years ago you could offer an English tenner and receive back in change anything from Scottish notes, Manx notes, Ulster notes or Irish Punts, all treated as equal on the IOM.

Then it was a mad rush to drink up all this change by the end of the TT and the return to the UK

Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale Ban, all print their own notes.

I sold a car a while back and the fella paid me part of it in hundred quid scottish notes. I had to phone a friend as it was a new one on me, i was sure he was trying to have me over. The fact that there were different types of the same value didnt help. I was so glad when the bank accepted it!

I used to get given thousands of pounds in Scottish £10-20 notes when i was working in Knowsley,one day as i was counting out £10,000 in Scottish notes with a PC standing by me and commented on the abundance of Scottish notes,he told me that they were brought down from "jobs done"in Scotland and exchanged for drugs to go back to Scotland.He was totally serious.