Need help with washing machine bearing repair

aris

After failing to find anyone who would quote me on replacing a bearing on a Bosch WFK2801 washer, I decided to give it a go myself (with help from FIL).

uv10lg0.jpg

Does anyone know how to extract the red bit which holds the bearings? My FIL (a retired mechanic) suggested a bearing puller - i'm just not sure if it would be large enough to get around the centre part.

And once it is out - and the old bearings have been gently knocked out - what is the best way to get it all back in? I'm thinking I put the rear bearing in - then the seal, then put it back in. After it is in, I put the outside bearing into place and gently knock it into place around the spindle.

There are some videos on youtube on this - but not quite the same setup as this Bosch (which appears to be a class act - full stainless tub!).

Check out 'e spares ' online. I got all the spares to do both my washer and dryers and they had a load of videos on their website of fitting guides etc.

Yes, they have a video on youtube, but a very different design to mine. Still very helpful though.

So you have had you're washer for 12 year's, you must be attached, i mean emotionally. You can buy a new one for £250 is, won't it be more viable to scrap it, you could get counciling for the split up with bosch.

lol

Edited by Dougy

So you have had you're washer for 12 year's, you must be attached, i mean emotionally. You can buy a new one for £250 is, won't it be more viable to scrap it, you could get counciling for the split up with bosch.

lol

New washer of this quality is near £1k. £25 punt for a new bearing giving it a new lease of life is worth the risk.

A £250 washer will fall to bits after a year or two. You get what you pay for.

New washer of this quality is near £1k. £25 punt for a new bearing giving it a new lease of life is worth the risk.

A £250 washer will fall to bits after a year or two. You get what you pay for.

£189 indeset sale price lasted 11 year's

£239 hoover sale price been going ok since replacing broken indeset.

The other £572 I spent on shooting stuff.

sorted, Oh! And no wasted time playing with old washing machines. ;-)

A machine that falls apart after 2 years is no problem-in the UK we haver the best consumer rights concerning white goods in Europe-up to 7 years, in fact. Ignore all the extended warranty Bullplop and keep your receipt then check out your consumer rights-virtually any machine that fails in the first 3-4 years (as long as it has been subjected to "reasonable" use) is covered under your consumer rights.

£189 indeset sale price lasted 11 year's

£239 hoover sale price been going ok since replacing broken indeset.

The other £572 I spent on shooting stuff.

sorted, Oh! And no wasted time playing with old washing machines. ;-)

How many loads of wash do you do a week? :-)

In years gone past - yes, they lasted. No longer. Have a read here:

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buying-advice/washing-machine/2948-how-long-should-a-washing-machine-last.html

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buying-advice/washing-machine/2822-washing-machine-buying-guide.html

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buying-advice/washing-machine/2930-the-cost-of-a-cheap-washing-machine.html

Edited by aris

Before you fit the new bearing, put it in the freezer for a few hours to shrink it. If it still appears tight, heat the outer casing with a hot air paint stripper to expand it. You can damage the bearing by knocking it in fella.

I presume you mean tight on the iter race? You don't want to be shrinking it to get it on the shaft, quite the opposite. You can get bearing fitting kits which basically disperse the load onto the outer and inner race at the same time as you hit it with a dead blow. Not really worth the investment tho for a one off. Get some decent punches and take it easy making sure it's going in/on flush, only tap the outer raceway when putting in the housing, and the inner when fitting to the shaft. Don't hit the internal parts, even if it looks ok it won't last.

I presume you mean tight on the iter race? You don't want to be shrinking it to get it on the shaft, quite the opposite. You can get bearing fitting kits which basically disperse the load onto the outer and inner race at the same time as you hit it with a dead blow. Not really worth the investment tho for a one off. Get some decent punches and take it easy making sure it's going in/on flush, only tap the outer raceway when putting in the housing, and the inner when fitting to the shaft. Don't hit the internal parts, even if it looks ok it won't last.

Yes, fit in the outer casing first, then over the shaft. It can be warmed up if necessary when its in the casing.

If you need to heat or cool any bearings then I am afraid you have the wrong ones! They are made to fit tightly and the trick is to get them I to the hole without damaging the faces , the face of the bearings you removed are the perfect size so using them on top of the bearings you are fitting and hitting them with a hammer disperses the force of the hammer perfectly across the face of the new ones without distorting or damaging them in any way and they should pop in quite easily , there is no need to hit them with punches and risk damaging the faces . When they are fitted into the casing they will slide onto the shaft fairly easily and refitting the nut onto the shaft either with the pulley or a large flat washer will nip them into place for reassembly

After failing to find anyone who would quote me on replacing a bearing on a Bosch WFK2801 washer, I decided to give it a go myself (with help from FIL).

uv10lg0.jpg

Does anyone know how to extract the red bit which holds the bearings? My FIL (a retired mechanic) suggested a bearing puller - i'm just not sure if it would be large enough to get around the centre part.

And once it is out - and the old bearings have been gently knocked out - what is the best way to get it all back in? I'm thinking I put the rear bearing in - then the seal, then put it back in. After it is in, I put the outside bearing into place and gently knock it into place around the spindle.

There are some videos on youtube on this - but not quite the same setup as this Bosch (which appears to be a class act - full stainless tub!).

If the three holes in the centre are threaded .... make your own puller with three lengths of stud iron.