Shotgun cartridges without brass

I was rooting through the garage the other day and found a few of these, which got me thinking:

With the spiralling costs of cartridge manufacturing, why haven't these been revisited - surely they must be cheaper to produce? I'm sure I've seen a 7.62 bullet casing made of black plastic. I wonder if cases could be manufactured from recycled materials? As with the slow development of fibre wads & 2 1/2" cases for steel loads, Do the R&D departments of cartridge manufacturers not realise demands exist?

post-14318-0-38271700-1377351703_thumb.jpg

I have a 5.56 case somewhere in plastic. I think it was a military experimental that did not catch on.

I can't see any reason why a shot cartridges should not be fully plastic as we already use the material in current designs. I'm not even sure what the metal cup does other than maybe securing the primer a bit better

Guest cookoff013

plastic goes brittle over time, and the issues that have been present are the rims snap or shatter, the firing sequence can tear these up as it is.

some of my loads are extremely tough on a case.

there have been a few manufacturers to develop metal free case, these never took off because domestic hulls are **** cheap. the standard domestic hulls have been econamised. they got thinner and the plastic less dense.the normal loading sequence is about as much as a case can take, thats what its designed for....

less plastic / thiner is cheaper.

helarco did a metal free case, it didnt take off... too expensive.

the plastic for 100% plastic hulls need to be denser and thicker. thats the cost.

shame because they would be very realistic recyclable. (well to a point.)

I was rooting through the garage the other day and found a few of these, which got me thinking:

With the spiralling costs of cartridge manufacturing, why haven't these been revisited - surely they must be cheaper to produce? I'm sure I've seen a 7.62 bullet casing made of black plastic. I wonder if cases could be manufactured from recycled materials? As with the slow development of fibre wads & 2 1/2" cases for steel loads, Do the R&D departments of cartridge manufacturers not realise demands exist?

attachicon.gifcarts.jpg

I remember them carts I had some years ago for geese in 3 shot they killed cleanly and I shot my first ever goose with them in Scotland 22 years ago

Steel is probably far cheaper than plastic to produce and has more strength for the rim, the brass electro plated i imagine would be a few pence per thousand if that

On some loads the case walls are quite tight and need a lot of pulling power on the ejectors/ extractors

Edited by ChrisAsh

there is .heckler n koch do 1,the powders "glued"together for want of a better description.as your man said over time plastic goes brittle sunlight breaks it down thats why double glazing goes yellow. theres some very hard abs plastics out there but then cost is the issue.plastic being made of oil and we all know how cheap that is when we fill up these days.cheap steel bases cadmium plated to look brass and the thinnest wall thickness u can get away with sell in millions .so they arent gonna spend money fixing what isnt broke