Wildfowling Season 2013-2014

Wildfowler325

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys

Does anyone know if there are many geese on the loch of strathbeg yet?? Going up there on the6th October on a farm outside the loch

Can't wait :) !!

Yes, i live 5 minutes away from the loch and theres a few about! My mate and i shot 6 tonight and ill be out tommorow morning again :)

Ps may i ask what farm you'll be shooting on?

Regards

W325

Edited by Wildfowler325

Poor flight this morning...hate full moons before a morning flight! did manage to clip a duck pintail out of a decent size bunch.Only got one shot off as I was aware that the shot bird was heading straight at me! self preservation took over and smart move to avoid being hit by it.In the end it dropped a foot behind me lol.

Managed another milestone this morning for this season following a year when it was doubtful if I was going to be able to get out following an illness. . My first goose of the season . I took a mate to do all the rowing and we set up a nice stand of decoys on the Broad with a mixture of duck and goose decoys. Several tufted duck buzzed over the reeds from behind and were gone before we could react.

My mate lead off and missed a mallard and from then onward for the next 2 hours there were quite a lot of mallard and geese moving. Unfortunetly most passed to wide or high for a shot and the one chance I had resulted in a miss. Several times mallard looked as though they were going to give a shot , but all landed too far out on the Broad. Finaly four canadas hooked onto the decoys and gave a simple chance. They were flying, but only just and the bird I folded might have been a foot off the water. I should have had another , but I held fire to give my mate a shot and for some reason he never fired and then the geese were out of range.

It was a great morning to be out on the broad , the weather while not the best for wildfowling made it a joy to be out there , the water was still like a mirror only broken by fish

My season has finally got started. I called in my first foreshore mallard of the season, yesterday. The big early morning tide had nearly reached it's fullest as i dropped the hen with one shot into the water. The dog brought about a swift retrieve.

Last night (around 6pm), i took a mate (a goose virgin) to try and kill some geese on a barley stubble. I had seen around 100 Canadas and only a single grey feeding there. I was surprised by how many geese actually turned up. After scaring off the best part of 100 Egyptians, another 4 came over. They took me by surprise and i then realised that these were greylag. I took 2 shots belatedly. The lead bird flew almost the length of the field before dropping like a stone.

The decoys were working well and a good sized bunch of greys came in next. I scored a left and right, while my mate brought one down with his second shot. I finished it off for him. He was well pleased with his first goose.

I then shot a couple of mallard, the second of which was one of the best i've ever shot. It came at me fast and high. I took it well in front and it landed stone dead behind me.I seem to be having some good success with my new Terror choke. I still haven't patterned tested with it but i'm getting some really good kills with it.

Another small party of greys swung round. I took the shot on as i thought my mate might struggle.I took the front bird with a 1 1/2 oz Heavyweight 13 load. It crumpled up very nicely.

Unfortunately, all the Canadas that turned up headed over to, and landed with, a small bunch of greys already on the ground.

So we didn't shoot a Canada, but we were more than happy with how things went. A very enjoyable shoot.

Had a great evening on the geese tonight with my mate! Got to the field to find between 200-400 geese on the field. We walked aross the field lifting the geese. When we reached the old dried out ditch we use as a hide within minutes geese were coming back in! I droped a single pink around the 50 yard mark. Anyway after about 1 hour of shooting we ended up with 8 pinks, 5 shot by me and 3 by my mate.

All in all a very enjoyable evening !

post-58856-0-80066800-1379791635_thumb.jpg

Opinions please ? ok so who on PW thinks its ok for 2 pretend to be wildfowlers to shoot just over 100 geese in 2 days & then get ****** off with breasting them out & then throw 80 into the farmers dead pit ??? are they BASC Scotland members ? do they have small W">>es & need an ego boost ? or are they just numb skulls or are they the truth of goosing in Scotland today ???? I need answers please ? :sad1: . Pole Star perhaps those 2 persons from Central Scotland will come on board & justify it ???.

The mind boggles :hmm: . Pole Star

Had a great evening on the geese tonight with my mate! Got to the field to find between 200-400 geese on the field. We walked aross the field lifting the geese. When we reached the old dried out ditch we use as a hide within minutes geese were coming back in! I droped a single pink around the 50 yard mark. Anyway after about 1 hour of shooting we ended up with 8 pinks, 5 shot by me and 3 by my mate.

All in all a very enjoyable evening !

image.jpg

Edited by Tony G

Opinions please ? ok so who on PW thinks its ok for 2 pretend to be wildfowlers to shoot just over 100 geese in 2 days & then get ******off with breasting them out & then throw 80 into the farmers dead pit ??? are they BASC Scotland members ? do they have small W">>es & need an ego boost ? or are they just numb skulls or are they the truth of goosing in Scotland today ???? I need answers please ? :sad1: . Pole Star perhaps those 2 persons from Central Scotland will come on board & justify it ???.

The mind boggles :hmm: . Pole Star

It's a shame people like that are even allowed to own a gun.

Until there is some kind of law preventing people carrying out such poor sportsmanship even then how could it be policed in some places, it will always exist.

if you have got the need to go and kill this amount of birds go on a pheasant shoot.

How would they even try and justify it. Makes me sick things like that. Just gives shooting a bad name all round

It's a shame people like that are even allowed to own a gun.

Until there is some kind of law preventing people carrying out such poor sportsmanship even then how could it be policed in some places, it will always exist.

if you have got the need to go and kill this amount of birds go on a pheasant shoot.

How would they even try and justify it. Makes me sick things like that. Just gives shooting a bad name all round

I know what you mean ! :sad1:

Managed another milestone this morning for this season following a year when it was doubtful if I was going to be able to get out following an illness. . My first goose of the season . I took a mate to do all the rowing and we set up a nice stand of decoys on the Broad with a mixture of duck and goose decoys. Several tufted duck buzzed over the reeds from behind and were gone before we could react.

My mate lead off and missed a mallard and from then onward for the next 2 hours there were quite a lot of mallard and geese moving. Unfortunetly most passed to wide or high for a shot and the one chance I had resulted in a miss. Several times mallard looked as though they were going to give a shot , but all landed too far out on the Broad. Finaly four canadas hooked onto the decoys and gave a simple chance. They were flying, but only just and the bird I folded might have been a foot off the water. I should have had another , but I held fire to give my mate a shot and for some reason he never fired and then the geese were out of range.

It was a great morning to be out on the broad , the weather while not the best for wildfowling made it a joy to be out there , the water was still like a mirror only broken by fish

Anser2 - Well done my friend.

Upwards and onwards.

Grandalf

Out yesterday on sheps, not a breath of wind but there was a fair bit of cloud cover. Big tide so sat on a bank, tide came on soo gently, the calmest i have ever seen it!

No shots fired but the dog did get some water retrieves, a deflated plastic football! She was trying to copy ayano3s dog who like to retrieve anything that is in the water.

DSCF0481_zps348a9a8d.jpg

DSCF0484_zpsf830b125.jpg

Edited by Big Mat

All in all a very enjoyable evening !image.jpg

?

Great to see you are out & about anser2 & keep up the good work & hope things get better from here on , its still early yet so there will be more chances to put some in the pot . ATB Pole Star

Nice one! what shells do you use? I tend to go for the express 42 or 50 gram shells. Doing an order from JC soon and cant decide whether to get some fiocchi/RC50's for a bash..

I use Fiocchi Magnum 52g 3s, they seem the perform well at long ranges too! I used express and id say the fiocchis are twice the shell of the express. I get on well with them, and having 6 geese so for this season with them im pleased!