Wildfowling Season 2013-2014

Wildfowler325

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was out last night for a bang and bagged a greylag, a mallard and a teal. Up at the crack of dawn this morning but really had no idea where to go as I hadn't seen much birds moving around lately so I sat up next to a burn between a loch and a stubble field in the hope that a few ducks might still be feeding on it. Just as I sat down 4 mallard passed right over my head 20 yards up, I never got a shot but it was a good sign. I sat and sat and sat and sat and saw nothing more ha ha. I had half an hour before I had to be home so I went for a very quick walk and bagged a snipe and a golden plover. Lot's of snipe in just now so I might go for a walk again in the afternoon when the missus gets back and see if I can add to my mixed bag.

Happy hunting.

Just got back in from a flight on a private bit of the river that i have permission on and had 2 Teal and a drake Mallard, out again in the morning on a different marsh where hopefully the geese will put in an appearance :good:

Yawnnnnsss....time to go fellows shooters.....and Ben...you not going to rub that one in this morning with me and Dave....lol, I was hoping for a little bad weather this morning...just looked out and stars everywhere, not the best for duck hunting...then again...in pole position for a great sunrise on the marsh.

Hopefully Passionforangling will wake up in time and we will be on our way....direction m5 J13......my morning wish....please let the Teal make an appearance this morning.

All the best and good luck this morning

Best Of luck, hope the Teal put in an appearance :yes:

The moment of spot picking came along, I could see a few eyes craving for a goose, so I said, gents, place me in the spot , that you think there will be ducks, not interested about goose, the decision was made, I was sent near river front, guess what happened.....

This....Silver Pigeon 3 on the left and myself on the right, 4 Akeem of geese came over us, we both walked away very happy

post-60442-0-73284700-1381048221_thumb.jpg

Nice one Mark, I went down to Poulton in the week didn't even see a duck !

It was a strange morning....misty at time and then sunny, but really enjoyable, we will be there at the end of October, Dave for 5 days and myself for 2, you should tag along, would be fun.

Shooting on a Sunday is fine down here, as long as you are home in time for church... :lol:

Amen...

No it was 1 a piece, from what I hear though Marco's bird was poached off the end of Dave's barrels!!!!!!!

How dare you accuse me of poaching a bird from Dave...lol....I did hit it with the first shot....running on the marsh under the goose that I marked as mine....before it reached Dave...that's not poaching, that's a follow thru..what I started...lmao

My guess is that Silver Pigeon 3 shot both of them. Still I am sure that you had a happy time out on the marsh thinking of what might have been.

Is it what you say, when you go home with 10 woodcocks???? lol...knowing that Marco as put a patch to your shooting...lmao

I have to readily admit that Highbird did in fact shoot one of the geese.....that was heading my way. As they flared away I had a chance but fluffed it so no gripes from me. Interestingly, Highbird' s goose was a young pretty thing, very tasty. Silver Pigeon's was a much older, bigger bird. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions regarding their tastes in geese!!

The moment of spot picking came along, I could see a few eyes craving for a goose, so I said, gents, place me in the spot , that you think there will be ducks, not interested about goose, the decision was made, I was sent near river front, guess what happened.....

This....Silver Pigeon 3 on the left and myself on the right, 4 Akeem of geese came over us, we both walked away very happy

well done guys I heard a couple got shot this morning up there.

Neil and myself are out this evening after them....fingers crossed

Fingers cross for both, I hope you have an enjoyable PM flight, marsh was fantastic this morning.....many snipe and a couple of resident woodcock, were flying around my position, great to see so many variety of bird.

ATB

Mark

good luck mate, cracking flight this morning probably 60 geese came through but there were more yesterday.

Here is my picture from this morning

2013-10-06071134_zps2b666c00.jpg

And another before the oven tonight, bird dressed out was 3.4kg

2013-10-06151524_zps3259d8aa.jpg

good luck mate, cracking flight this morning probably 60 geese came through but there were more yesterday.

Good on you & thats what its all about :good: , can you help spread the word because I am sick to death of target shooting morons who just dump them , why dont they just stick to clay pigeon shooting . ATB

Was out last night for a bang and bagged a greylag, a mallard and a teal. Up at the crack of dawn this morning but really had no idea where to go as I hadn't seen much birds moving around lately so I sat up next to a burn between a loch and a stubble field in the hope that a few ducks might still be feeding on it. Just as I sat down 4 mallard passed right over my head 20 yards up, I never got a shot but it was a good sign. I sat and sat and sat and sat and saw nothing more ha ha. I had half an hour before I had to be home so I went for a very quick walk and bagged a snipe and a golden plover. Lot's of snipe in just now so I might go for a walk again in the afternoon when the missus gets back and see if I can add to my mixed bag.

Happy hunting.

The missus came back and I made a quick exit with the gun before I got roped in to something I hadn't been warned about. It was good to be out on a fine day after the few days of rough weather we have had. There was snipe everywhere, I think the wind has taken a few in. My marksmanship to begin with was horrendous to say the least, so I shot some rabbits to try and get my eye in before trying the snipe again. It seemed to work, after 5 rabbits I had a go at a snipe and down he came and I seemed to do better. When I got back to the house an hour and a half later I hung up 9 snipe and 5 rabbits and fed a very happy dog.

Last seasons Wildfowling Season topic had lots of photographs similar to the ones appearing this year. One or two ducks or geese and happy looking dogs.

Meanwhile the Sporting Pictures section had lots of 'heaps' of dead birds with shotguns laid over them.

I got the two pages mixed up in my ancient head and put a note on here saying it was not appropriate for fowlers to post photographs showing piles of dead birds.

I, quite correctly, got shot down by the PW wildfowling community and had to apologise.

When I went over both topics in detail all the 'heaps' were on Sporting Pictures and all the 'happy dogs' and not quite so happy ones and twos of the ducks and geese were on 'our' section.

Those guys are not fowlers - They are bird shooters.

Moderators should think seriously about allowing 'inappropriate material' of this nature. Can't do the sport's image any good.

out at hill with ian this evening no geese ,but shot my first widgeon, roll on Thursday .

We had no luck with the geese yesterday evening, I was hoping they would take the same flight pattern which they have been following for a while and we set up a couple of winged Canada decoys on top of the ridge but nothing.

Maybe the helicopter, lifting the pylons which was working a few fields down disturbed them who knows...

There were a few mallards calling and taking flight along the shore line, but lucky for us we had three wigeons take flight and headed towards us, neill brought his first wigeon down stone dead, so not a bad evening after all.

Back out on Thurs on the associate evening, so hopefully the Mallards will be about.

Yummy....... :good: