6 or 7 million duck and all i wanted was a pigeon!!!

barrold

Got this week off so got talked into coming home to help out with the harvest. Whilst pottering along on the combine last night i noticed a few pigeons feeding on one of the fields we'd just cut. Right i thought, i'll have myself a crack at them in the morning before the combine beckons again. After getting set up i noticed a familiar sight in the distance, two mallard flying up the river, brilliant i thought, not long till the 1st now. Right, back to the pigeons, then out of the corner of my eye i noticed a whole herd of birds skimming over the hedgerows, once again, flipping mallard, typical that!!! Anyway to cut a long story short i had 3 pigeons in total but for 2 hours i had at least 300 million mallard flying all around me at ranges of 15 yards at some points!! Now what are the chances of that happening on sunday? Absolutely stunning sight though and now i really can't wait to get on the foreshore

P.s. if anyone knows how to load videos from an iphone i have some good footage of this

Good piece of footage. Have seen that many mallard and more many times in august/sept ' stubbling mallard' and if not shot at will flight in and out at all times of the day.In dry weather they will feed and flight to water numerous times during the course of the day.I have a photo in my Album of hundreds of mallard flighting into a stubble field in August.

That Squacking made me jump..lol..I had the volume up to hear the wingbeats 'but wasnt waiting on that..No offense but that would Scare every duck in the vicinity..!!

That doesn`t seem like flighting, more like someone is teaching released duck to lift so they can be shot by guns on stands, is there a shoot nearby?

That was my first thought as well, it does seem that they are circling rather than flighting in/out of stubbles. But a decent number of duck none the less.

Herd = Curlew

That doesn`t seem like flighting, more like someone is teaching released duck to lift so they can be shot by guns on stands, is there a shoot nearby?

Henry b what has made you come to that conclusion , I can take you to a stubble field where the mallard and geese are flighting onto it in the same way

And are 100% wild .....

A Nice bit of footage barrold , just one question were do you think we should put the hides when we shoot it on the 1st lol