Replacing a zip on a leather gun case

I am looking for a company or someone who replaces zips on leather gun slips. Bought the slip off flea bay a few years ago and after a bit of cleaning, dubbin rubbin' ended up with a great case. My problem is that the zip has now gone, all 1.4m or 54 inches of it.

I tried a company in Windsor who you post to, and will replace the zip but was quoted £120!!!!!

Tried locally and was quoted £35 to £45 but then they called me after I had left it with them and they then wanted £100!!!

It seems such a waste to buy another from fleabay when the only problem is the zip.

Any ideas?

I am not sure about replacing leather gun-slip zips, but I have an upholstery company, and we regularly replace zips in cushions for people. We have also done zips in bouncy castles, boat covers, hot-tub covers etc. It is not quite as simple as you might suppose, particularly if there is a sewn-in lining. There is a large amount of unpicking to do, and you might even have to unpick the complete slip! Then there is the new zip to insert, then the lining to re-sew. Leather is not forgiving as regards stitch-holes; whereas with most fabrics a stitch-hole disappears, with leather it is there forever. So if the old holes are not concealed by the new sewing line, it is unsightly and this takes more time and care. Any business needs to make a minimum of £50 - £60 per hour, So, sadly, a repair can easily exceed the cost of a replacement made in the far east...

Mike.

my mrs is a leather seamstress and repairs motorbike leathers for most of the circuit racers and normal bikers, if you were within traveling distance you could drop it in to her, she has her workshop at home which keeps costs down, as this is a replacement zip she would do by hand rather than a machine, thus re using the old holes, and would charge £55 inc zip, of course if your further away you'd have to add postage to that (both ways)

a good reason to inc your location in with your profile name

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...