Advice needed please. I've put some petrol in my TD5.

dazbrit

At the garage this morning I managed to put just over a litre of petrol in my car (Discovery TD5). The tank had about 20 litres of diesel in when I did it and I put another 30 litres of diesel in after to try and dilute it so the mix is about 50:1. Will this be ok? Will it cause any damage? I've been told so many things, truck drivers put petrol in when it's cold, it cleans the engine, it should be diluted enough, but also been told to drain the fuel as it damages injectors, turns to a glue like substance, affects performance etc. so wonder if any of you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance.

Putting petrol in a diesel tank is not so bad. Its the other way round that will kill an engine, thats why diesel, nozzels are lager than petrol cars.

On such a small mix you will be fine. But as mentioned above if you are worried i'll take it off you my 300tdi will run on it no problem.

That won't pose a problem it might just run a bit warmer but should not be enough to burn the injectors, I put £30 in my terrano on top of 1/4 a tank a couple of years ago I drove 11 miles home and the penny dropped I had for some reason put petrol in, I had just got rid of a petrol disco 3 , I syphoned it after a lot of messing about then put £100 in diesel , drained the filter no problems..

Putting petrol in a diesel tank is not so bad. Its the other way round that will kill an engine, thats why diesel, nozzels are lager than petrol cars.

On such a small mix you will be fine. But as mentioned above if you are worried i'll take it off you my 300tdi will run on it no problem.

Wow...that is a big nozzle :lol::good:

Thanks for the replies. Just been and filled it up with diesel and now my wallet is not looking too good. Hopefully it will be ok now and I'll be more careful in future.

Yeah will be fine mate. I used to run my old astra on old engine oil, petrol and diesel mix. Went for a couple of years and weighed her in cus she needed a fuel filter.

Karpman

My merc e320 diesel was completely dry, fuel warning on, put 20 liters of petrol in, drove it 40 miles home ( after night shift and had been using misses petrol car before). Sounded very ruff, which I thought was exhaust. Finally figured out what I had done, kept it brimmed with diesel and it sailed through mot a few months later and was non the worse for it. ( German engineering for ya and I didn't fancy dropping the tank out and flushing whole system which I was quoted 2k to do). Such a dilute amount should be fine, petrol and diesel both come from the same crude oil.