.243 90gr Prvi on foxes?

Depends on barrel length etc but I'd doubt point and shoot with start loads

If you are sticking to low pressure for extended barrel life you could be on a fools errand as powders burn at different temperatures.

That's that decided then - I'll stoke it up and aim for the accuracy node that comes in higher up. In a lot of my rifles of a similar size I've found it to be around a grain under book maximum.

I've put together 20 rounds at start load with N140. I think Varget could be a better powder for this weight bullet but 140 looks to be ok so I'm going with that for now. I've entered an approximate velocity of 3200 which is a realistic estimate with this barrel length and powder combination. Apparently point and shoot should be 250 yards. I'll need to check that at the range but if it's correct I'm happy with that.

I use PRVI 100grn soft points on foxes, and they do make a mess!

Just an observation :My Howa .243 1500 with a 1/10 barrel shot the PRIVI 90's fairly ok but the 100's were a waste of time with nothing like an acceptable group, much happier with bullets in the 85gn range.

Just an observation :My Howa .243 1500 with a 1/10 barrel shot the PRIVI 90's fairly ok but the 100's were a waste of time with nothing like an acceptable group, much happier with bullets in the 85gn range.

My .243 T3 Hunter is 1-10 and that too is much happier with the 90g than the 100g. That is not necessarily a feature of PRVI, a number of .243 and not entirely happy with 100g! :good:

That's that decided then - I'll stoke it up and aim for the accuracy node that comes in higher up. In a lot of my rifles of a similar size I've found it to be around a grain under book maximum.

I've put together 20 rounds at start load with N140. I think Varget could be a better powder for this weight bullet but 140 looks to be ok so I'm going with that for now. I've entered an approximate velocity of 3200 which is a realistic estimate with this barrel length and powder combination. Apparently point and shoot should be 250 yards. I'll need to check that at the range but if it's correct I'm happy with that.

I use N140 with Hornady 87 grn soft points, and get 3/8th" groups at 100 yards, 3100 fps or thereabouts.

As modern as I try to be at times what's all this metric nonsense?! Everything I do these days is in metric.... Apart from reloading! :oops:

I'm still at a bit of a loss as to how I'm going to end up running the thing. A part of me wants to run lighter bullets through it but then I bought it more to buck the wind than to shoot huge distances so going too light kind of spoils that idea. I've had nights on the sheep farm where I struggle to stand in the open parts let alone shoot with the .223! I may well end up going heavier rather than lighter, but I'd like to keep the bullet exits to a minimum, or at least have fragments exiting rather than big chunks.

We take different views on many things and accuracy requirement is down to the job/calibre, on the whole in field work there is no need for the refined/developed/intimate accuracy of top target work. PRVI in my .223, .243 and .308 delivers 1". One hole groups aren't going to make any difference on any quarry I use it on!

But I'm not arguing with anything above. :good:

Then why on earth quote me, it depends on your requirements my findings are 1" at 100 very rarely equates to 2" at 200 yds and that in itself wont equate to 4" at 400 yds. I don't even test a .243 at 100yds anymore its a pointless exercise.

If you only lump a bullet into stuff at 100yds fair enough I dont

I use H4895 to start and then Varget in loads lighter than 87 grn personally, N160 over that bullet weight. Your findings might be affected by your own feelings as to were the node shows. A good .243 win load from an average one is too hard to find at 100yds, indeed even at 200 it can be hard to find the best charge weight within about 1.5 grains. If like you say its only 100yds stuff I shouldn't fret about finding the best load too greatly

Then why on earth quote me, it depends on your requirements my findings are 1" at 100 very rarely equates to 2" at 200 yds and that in itself wont equate to 4" at 400 yds. I don't even test a .243 at 100yds anymore its a pointless exercise.

If you only lump a bullet into stuff at 100yds fair enough I don't

Which part of the OP did you miss, nobody asked for your recipe to shoot foxes at 400 yards with different bullets and brass altogether.

.243 90gr Prvi on foxes?

.....As most of my shots are around 100 yards....

Edited by Dekers

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but prvi brass is exactly the same as lapua and 1 or 2 others. Its just stamped different "prvi" "lapua" etc. Got this first hand from the owner of Henry Crank when he was up here for a Roe a month or 2 ago.

And you belive that?

Sorry to disappoint you guys but there are more members on here than 3

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but prvi brass is exactly the same as lapua and 1 or 2 others. Its just stamped different "prvi" "lapua" etc. Got this first hand from the owner of Henry Crank when he was up here for a Roe a month or 2 ago.

There may be some truth in this rumour - I've noticed they look very similar, they are both brass and they both have a big hole at one end and a little tiny one at the other. Got to be true hasn't it?

I use ppu in most of my rifles but i always neck to start, you can feel the difference in the neck tension and the mandrel pushes in.

the 222 i have loaded 9 or 10 times with no issues. i do only neck size and then trim ever 3rd firing.

other rifles i dont use that much so no idea how long the brass will last but as £20 per 100 i dont really care.

Rumours circulate aggressively. I heard it's made using old Lapua machinery?

Doesn't mean I believe it.

I personally think it to be half decent brass but don't really care. I use it in my .222 but just buy it new, load it and junk it, its not worth the time taken to resize or trim it to me. I use Lapua in my precision guns and whatever I get given otherwise.

I agree about the rumour bit, but I too have some recollection of this. Did it come out around the time of the fire, did they get the machinery then, or indeed is this simply rumour? :hmm::hmm:

Edited by Dekers