Multi choking an old antique, good or bad idea?

gduk

Is it wise to multi choke an antique Shotgun?!?

I am unsure what to do, I have a Winchester 1887 (12b) I have dated the serial number to the year 1888

I had it nitro proofed, but it is cylinder bore, there is no point in having it and not using it, cylinder is no use

to be I don't shoot slugs or buck!

I am unsure if a second dose of a 'proof' round may kill it though, worth risking, anyone done anything similar?

Many thanks.

If it is already S.2 & has a crimped tube then further additions like Briley chokes will not hurt the value

If the gun is in otherwise original condition, then I'd leave it alone...

Sell it to get another one that has the choke you want...or fit a contemporary old adjustable external choke like the Cutts or the Savage...as at least then you are brazing something to the barrel that can in theory be removed in the future if so desired

Where are you based? I have a Savage choke I could show you, they were a VERY common item back in the pre multi choke days as most folk were in the same situation as you are now...

Please do not ruin an original 1887 by having screw in chokes added or even a multi choke attached, find it such a shame when good, old original guns aren't kept original.

If i wanted the chokes added i'd just sell it and buy a norinco model and have that multi choked. Atleast then i wouldn't have to worry about destroying a 125 year old gun

Please do not ruin an original 1887 by having screw in chokes added or even a multi choke attached, find it such a shame when good, old original guns aren't kept original.

If i wanted the chokes added i'd just sell it and buy a norinco model and have that multi choked. Atleast then i wouldn't have to worry about destroying a 125 year old gun

Well said.

Just goes to show how well made firearms are;having a blackpowder gun nitro proofed isn't something I would have even considered.

It is a classic American shotgun and in my opinion multi choking it would devalue it and is akin to heresy!

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficuilt to shift it as is and buy something you prefer.

Wow, the cry of sacrilege !!

And you are all right, it is your opinion.

Yes, there is no way I can fix an external choke for sure, but internal, you cannot see, problem is although it is nitro I do like black powder but on cylinder??

I was at my brothers farm, put a plastic water bottle probably 20 yards away, and fired, the bottle was STILL standing, nitro knocked it over(but not with many pellets) I have the pics somewhere.

As to the Norinco, please see the video attached and make your own mind up, not hard the guy gives it a massive canning !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UisjxqqfIbo

Shame to leave it in dark 'Solitary' rather than let it do what it left the factory in 1888 to do!

Stupid question how do I add pics on here??

Any chance of a picture of it pal ?

I am not sure how to add them, any tips and yes no problem!!!

why is cylinder choke no good ?I use skeet choke in the bottom barrel of both my 12g an 20g on inland duck flights pheasant an pigeon decoying its not a problem an why spoil an antique.

Hi, Skeet is not the same as cylinder, it does have a slightly tighter pattern, I used to have a Beretta 680 skeet, great at close clays, cylinder no!

Here is a quick reference chart:

Shotgun Choke Yardage Shotgun Choke Restriction

Diameter difference between bore and shotgun choke Cylinder < 20 0 Skeet 22.5 .005 of an inch

If the background gun is a 1897 as opposed to a 1893,I'd be very interested if you ever decided to part with it, if in very good condition.Unless it's a repro'.

Sold sadly, yes was a 97' great guns, the balance is v front heavy, more than normal, everything is very solid, I would get the shortest barrel one you can lay your hands on, trouble is due to old powder burn times I guess they all seem to have hoofing long barrels, good luck!

I did look at a Marlin, but apparently it is not advisable to fire them I have heard ?

Hi, like Gingercat said, all know guns are all different, and will pattern dependant on many factors, your right, I can squeeze a bit with different wad options but for me it goes into the shop next week, I want full choke!

Thanks very much for all your opinions though, much appreciated.

Just had a peek at the competition, Norinko and Chiappa, I prefer my Winchester because it is a repeater, BOTH these copies are single shot, before you say what does this idiot know, watch both these clips, they don't cycle, they should save money and not even put a lever on them :0

I had no idea they did not actually 'work'

The short Chiappa has the same action, ignore the lack of erm wood obviously.

Sold sadly, yes was a 97' great guns, the balance is v front heavy, more than normal, everything is very solid, I would get the shortest barrel one you can lay your hands on, trouble is due to old powder burn times I guess they all seem to have hoofing long barrels, good luck!

I did look at a Marlin, but apparently it is not advisable to fire them I have heard ?

That's a shame.Had the next model on;the Model 12,basically the same model but with an internal hammer,and yes it was as you have said,front heavy due to its drainpipe of a barrel but I still regret selling it.It's take-down mechanism / capability is identical to the 1897 also,which was just aswell,otherwise it wouldn't have fit in my cabinet.Great old guns.

BOTH these copies are single shot, before you say what does this idiot know, watch both these clips, they don't cycle, they should save money and not even put a lever on them

Um, *mine* works. I don't know about the Norinco, but my Chiappa ain't too bad.

I have to say that I would *never* buy a PGO shotgun. The guy "reviewing" that Chiappa says that it'd make a good Home Defense shotgun - what a load of rubbish. *No* PGO is good for HD. Just visit the Yank forums and see what the Old Timers have to say on the subject.

The *comments* on that video were interesting. The opinion was voiced that he had headspace issues. I'd be interested to know more about that.

I *did* have the odd extraction problem with the Chiappa, as I did - and still do - with my M37. In both cases, a damned good chamber polishin' helped (M37) or fixed (1887) it. Also, the action may well loosen up with use. I used my Chiappa a lot when I first bought it and, when I took it to the importer to have the forend problem "fixed", he asked me whether I'd "slicked it up". No, I'd just *used* it.

Finally, a re-occuring topic on American shotgun forums is extraction of *steel* (read, "cheap") cartridges. Sometimes, listening to the Yanks, I'm amazed that *any* shotgun over here works. (As far as I'm aware, I've *never* seen proper brass cartridges.)

Regards,

Mark.

Is it wise to multi choke an antique Shotgun?!?

I am unsure what to do, I have a Winchester 1887 (12b) I have dated the serial number to the year 1888

I had it nitro proofed, but it is cylinder bore, there is no point in having it and not using it, cylinder is no use

to be I don't shoot slugs or buck!

I am unsure if a second dose of a 'proof' round may kill it though, worth risking, anyone done anything similar?

Many thanks.

leave it alone, its just wrong- buy another gun if it bothers you, some things are just not meant to be done

Thanks for your input, again very valid, I understand your sentiment.

I love the old, I have been shooting for over 37 years, and ALL my shotguns are very old, they have soul, visibly all it would be would to change a few grams of steel with an alloy (unseen) choke, and she gets used again.
I once saw a Holland and Holland ex rook style rifle barrelled to .22 and threaded for Moderator, now that is awful!
I have an old W Richards rook rifle, re bored to .410 but with a FULL choke, most ex rooks are always cylinder, I take it hunting and bust clays with it, it lives, it gets used, I did not do the work, I bought it like it, if it remained a rook rifle it would be a dusty unused wall hanger with a pitted barrel.
Thanks for your comment, it is much pain I 'fuse' old with modern, but means it will live again.
Very funny people want me to sell it and buy a new piece of junk made in China, by machine, that's okay, but to make usable a real Winchester is horrendous?? Unthinkable? How can you? You have to see the Irony in that?

Did you see the video above......