Drink driving & run up to christmas

Guest cookoff013

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no,no,no, if caught drink driving BANNED FOR LIFE!

Is the right answer end of if you want to cut DD this is the way to go....

And having extricated many people out of drink drive accidents it's not a pretty sight for the emergency services or those left behind , if you have to think if your over the limit you should not drive as simple as that.....

Edited by tigger

It's a tricky one because life is never black and white.

I had a retired company director client. Messy divorce, restricted access to his daughter etc. He got tanked up and at 3 in the morning got in his car to drive past his ex wife's gaff. Why? I reckon he was doing the last drive by before the Beachy Head treatment. Anyhoos, he put his car in a ditch. Instead of doing a runner (no one else involved) he waited for the police and turned himself in. He blew an enormous number, the likes of which I've never seen before. Anyways, his life was a mess and how a bit more punishment like a mandatory prison sentence would have helped anyone I don't know.

I'm not defending anyone and the law's the law. Not all drink driving is arrogant idiots not wanting to cough for a taxi though.

Theres a chap who i absolutely chuffing hate who is a regular drink driver. I know where and when he'll be on fridays and saturdays and i relish the thought of him getting a ban, but i just cant grass him up as its not a bit of me.I hope that what goes round comes around and he falls on his own sword.

Theres a chap who i absolutely chuffing hate who is a regular drink driver. I know where and when he'll be on fridays and saturdays and i relish the thought of him getting a ban, but i just cant grass him up as its not a bit of me.I hope that what goes round comes around and he falls on his own sword.

I usually 'live and let live', but not after what happened. Also, many years ago, I was in a Chinese takeaway with my partner, and this guy was waiting for his order, and was clearly drunk. He was swearing at the staff and becoming a nuisance. After they gave him his meal, he went outside and got into his car. My partner phoned the police and gave the registration details to them. We found out a few weeks later that they caught up with the guy a few miles down the road and nabbed him for drink/driving and other motoring offences.

You should 'grass him up' even though it's not what you'd like to do. He may end up doing the same as to what happened to my son and his friend. How would you feel then, knowing that you could have possibly stopped it happening?

No mention of drug driving? In my humble opinion this is as much, if not more, of a problem. I wonder how many people over the years have thought that, because there is no roadside test, it's acceptable to get off their face on some substance, and drive.

The sooner a reliable test is brought out for this the better, I wonder how many intoxicated folk get away with a breathalyser test every day in the UK?

Hi Mick. Don't the police use an eye chart or something to check the dilation of the person's pupils? I remember seeing it on a police program.

I usually 'live and let live', but not after what happened. Also, many years ago, I was in a Chinese takeaway with my partner, and this guy was waiting for his order, and was clearly drunk. He was swearing at the staff and becoming a nuisance. After they gave him his meal, he went outside and got into his car. My partner phoned the police and gave the registration details to them. We found out a few weeks later that they caught up with the guy a few miles down the road and nabbed him for drink/driving and other motoring offences.

You should 'grass him up' even though it's not what you'd like to do. He may end up doing the same as to what happened to my son and his friend. How would you feel then, knowing that you could have possibly stopped it happening?

I've not been through what Steve has but agree entirely with what he wrote here.

It isn't school, it isn't grassing someone up. We mature and part of living in a mature civilised world is living up to certain standards - and we each have a responsibility to hold others accountable to that standard.

Sometimes we can debate the standard and whether we're being 'judged' unfairly by others - but regular drink driving is cut and dry, no question

I would usually agree

However imagine the situation where he runs over a child of someone you know. The first thing you think/say to the parents is "I knew that would happen one day, we have known he was drink driving for ages"

oh come on, surely heroin is worse than antiinflammatories

its no worse than driving on benzodiazepines and opiate based pain killers and many other drugs that dull senses including cough syrups in some cases, just because you got them of the doctor dont mean its safe to drive on them.

heres what the government say about it

It is an offence to drive or attempt to drive while unfit through drugs, and the law does not distinguish between illegal drugs and medicines. Sections 4(1) and (2) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 ('the 1988 Act') say that a person who, when driving or attempting to drive – or in charge of – a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place, is unfit to drive through drink or drugs is guilty of an offence.

This law exists because a driver who is impaired through drugs is at risk of having an accident. Insurance will be affected by a conviction or an accident linked to drugs and medicines in the same way as it is for drink-driving.

http://drugdrive.direct.gov.uk/legaldrugs.shtml

so basically its illegal to pop those old meds and go for a spin as much as a few swifties in the pup. you can tell those that do it by their clays score :lol:

Edited by overandunder2012

If any of you have this thing about "grassing someone up" then I say again, "How would you feel if the drunk driver that you didn't "grass up" were to run over and kill one of your loved ones.

I would be happy to see a ZERO TOLLERANCE on drink driving with a ban for life for those that get caught and found guilty!

Quite simply put THERE IS NO EXCUSE!

I think there are some self-righteous answers on here. But the truth is, there is no definitive answer to it. Why do people continually drink and drive? Perhaps the answer lays in the likes of why do people do drugs or gamble or cut themselves? I don't think any amount of fining or imprisonment will address the issue. There are countries which have the death penalty for on thing or another, namely murder, but it doesn't stop people from committing the crime and I don't think it's as simple as a one size fits all answer. The causes are numerous so therefore the answer has to be numerous. Part of the answer is getting people to admit they have a problem with alcohol. That's possibly one of the toughest things to do as the majority will be in denial. Also, alcohol affects the brain in ways that other stimulants don't. Prolonged use destroys the grey matter and until someone is ready to admit they have an issue with drink then you can do what you like to them, it won't stop them from drinking.

I don't condone drinking and driving but is drinking and driving the same as driving whilst drunk? I'm sure the self righteous on here will think so as it's one and the same to them but I'll bet my bile duct that there's a good chance at some point in the past they have driven after having a drink, or two, or three. Doesn't mean to say that they were necessarily driving whilst drunk. Ok, the next come back to this will be that even one drink can affect your reactions behind. This is apparent as alcohol is a stimulant. Someone previously mentioned about the guy that has a couple of pints and then drives home safely taking extra caution and then there is a the guy who drives like a complete muppet after having a barney with his Mrs that morning and is irate, cursing at all and sundry that get in his way. Ok, so neither is right but I know which one I'd rather be passing on the other side of the road.

It is a very difficult thing address but I'd like to put the following scenario to you and let me know what you think:

The guy who's only had two pints of session bitter and takes extra care whilst driving home is aware that there is a car behind him, right up his backside. It's the irate ***** we spoke of earlier has been sitting behind the guy in front who's sticking to a few miles an hour under the speed limit. Containing himself no longer the irate ***** overtakes on a blind bend but swerves to miss a cyclists whom he didn't see. The cautious guy who's had a couple of pints has his car clipped and gets pushed into the cyclists causing a fatality. The irate guy is aware of what has happened but doesn't stop. The guy who's had a drink stops to see to the cyclist that's been knocked off their bike. As he has a conscience he calls for an ambulance and the police. Catching the smell of alcohol on his breath he gets breathalysed. He's borderline but just under. Guilty or not?

I think there are some self-righteous answers on here. But the truth is, there is no definitive answer to it. Why do people continually drink and drive? Perhaps the answer lays in the likes of why do people do drugs or gamble or cut themselves? I don't think any amount of fining or imprisonment will address the issue. There are countries which have the death penalty for on thing or another, namely murder, but it doesn't stop people from committing the crime and I don't think it's as simple as a one size fits all answer. The causes are numerous so therefore the answer has to be numerous. Part of the answer is getting people to admit they have a problem with alcohol. That's possibly one of the toughest things to do as the majority will be in denial. Also, alcohol affects the brain in ways that other stimulants don't. Prolonged use destroys the grey matter and until someone is ready to admit they have an issue with drink then you can do what you like to them, it won't stop them from drinking.

I don't condone drinking and driving but is drinking and driving the same as driving whilst drunk? I'm sure the self righteous on here will think so as it's one and the same to them but I'll bet my bile duct that there's a good chance at some point in the past they have driven after having a drink, or two, or three. Doesn't mean to say that they were necessarily driving whilst drunk. Ok, the next come back to this will be that even one drink can affect your reactions behind. This is apparent as alcohol is a stimulant. Someone previously mentioned about the guy that has a couple of pints and then drives home safely taking extra caution and then there is a the guy who drives like a complete muppet after having a barney with his Mrs that morning and is irate, cursing at all and sundry that get in his way. Ok, so neither is right but I know which one I'd rather be passing on the other side of the road.

It is a very difficult thing address but I'd like to put the following scenario to you and let me know what you think:

The guy who's only had two pints of session bitter and takes extra care whilst driving home is aware that there is a car behind him, right up his backside. It's the irate ***** we spoke of earlier has been sitting behind the guy in front who's sticking to a few miles an hour under the speed limit. Containing himself no longer the irate ***** overtakes on a blind bend but swerves to miss a cyclists whom he didn't see. The cautious guy who's had a couple of pints has his car clipped and gets pushed into the cyclists causing a fatality. The irate guy is aware of what has happened but doesn't stop. The guy who's had a drink stops to see to the cyclist that's been knocked off their bike. As he has a conscience he calls for an ambulance and the police. Catching the smell of alcohol on his breath he gets breathalysed. He's borderline but just under. Guilty or not?

I would say guilty of driving without insurance. Since in a lot of cases drinking will invalidate your insurance, so he gets taken to the station because he blew orange and was involved in a incident.

Blood test show he was under, cyclist puts in a claim for all manner of injuries and the insurance get wind he had a drink and wash there hands of him.

Lose lose situation, and over caution is a dead give away as to a drinker.

Karpman

Not guilty if he's borderline or just under

Give me his reg, name and details and I will call the police for you.

Christ on a bike I hope he doesn't kill anyone you know as he weaves about the roads ****** in his car. :rolleyes:

Steve's example highlights the biggest problem: stopping re-offending. Everybody has, though probably not so personal and painful, examples of crimes being re-committed by the same old faces. For example, a close friend's father was murdered by ******, one of whom committed a particularly brutal assault against an elderly woman only months before the murder.

The victims' families lay awake at night wondering, "how and why were the offenders free to repeat their crimes?"

Steve's example highlights the biggest problem: stopping re-offending. Everybody has, though probably not so personal and painful, examples of crimes being re-committed by the same old faces. For example, a close friend's father was murdered by ******, one of whom committed a particularly brutal assault against an elderly woman only months before the murder.

The victims' families lay awake at night wondering, "how and why were the offenders free to repeat their crimes?"

loony liberals is how and why. you know the types that insisted that myra Hindley was a lovely woman.

I dont drink and drive, but do drink and worry about the next day so I've been contemplating buying one of the DIY breath test kits specifically for the morning after!

Any of you tried them?

So, on a public shooting forum, a certificate holder (presumably) announces that he worries that he may be driving over the limit on occasion.

Is this a wise thing to publish, do you think?

J.

Seriously,if you think it is ok then you are a fool,everyone metabolises alcohol at different rates,you will be over the limit and you will be impaired,its not acceptable and if i saw you do it i would report you,better to have you off the road than some child being knocked down because you believed you were ok and drove"carefully without distractions".

One simple solution is don't drink and drive and if you do have a skinfull make sure you don't have to drive the next day.

Jump down from your high-horse mate. Do some reading on the subject; it is extremely unlikely that anyone who had consumed two pints over the course of three hours would be over the drink drive limit.

J.

Steve, I am sorry mate, I didn't realise that you had in fact been faced with exactly the same situation that I had "suggested". I would not have wanted to bring up any upsetting memories for you!

However I totally agree with you that a ZERO TOLERANCE would be more than acceptable in my eyes regarding drink driving!

What is your definition of 'zero tolerance?

J.

Having seen someone get done for drink driving after a single pint of Stella Artois (this bloke was a U21 rugby player for a top uk side) I'd never drink anything alcoholic before driving.

I'm surprised that that is even possible. When you consider the amount of blood a person has in their body and the amount of alcohol in one pint of Stella it would hardly seem possible that they could be over the limit.

J.

Is the right answer end of if you want to cut DD this is the way to go....

Is it though?

It's reckoned that the vast majority of people who get done are way over the limit. They aren't just people who have miscalculated the morning after or decided to run the risk knowing they they may or may not be over the limit. They knew damn fine that they were well wasted but couldn't care less.

I don't know how you stop people like that. Certainly banning or fining them won't deter them because we do that already.

J.

Jump down from your high-horse mate. Do some reading on the subject; it is extremely unlikely that anyone who had consumed two pints over the course of three hours would be over the drink drive limit.

J.

This is the problem. People have been conditioned to think they can have one or two pints and still be ok to drive. Legally - yes they might, but ethically - no. Drink zero alcohol if you are driving. I'm all for lowering the blood alcohol limit.

Alcohol free beer is actually very good these days. Try one!