.243 Is is a social caliber?

activeviii

Out for a look about last night, NJC with his T3 .243, with one of my torch builds on top.

First one to come play catch decided to hold back on the far side of the field, NJC being a rather handy shot while stood on the sticks, rolled it over, heads up at well over the 100 meters.

Problem is, we are in the middle of 2 villages, windless night and the Boom from the .243, Well! lets just say i haven't heard the wife nag today.

001_zps8636a924.jpg[/url]

Big dog, great condition and big body weight.

the second one was playing hid and seek behind one of the combines, but the gap in the hedge was all NJC needed to roll this one over, all of 20 yards away. this shot was stupidly loud, i think the combine in front of us must have bounced the report back as even with a mod on the end i think i will be using ear defenders from now on. i felt the rip in the ear.

003_zps9fb5a1da.jpg[/url]

sorry, had to have a trophy shot with one of my little torches. Plus it was to give an idea how hat this vixen was. good condition, short fat body (I know someone else like that. lmao)

the 3rd one was a way off, sitting there, as they do this time of year. this time i stood back a little with finger in ear. in the above photo NJC put the mod cover on just after shooting so its in the photo. this third shot was a lot less, ok i had my head between me knees and fingers in the ears, but it was a surprise how a little bit of fabric could dull the sound down this much.

we have only shot this patch a few times. roe every where but foxes, we have shot a fair number. must be over 40 in 10 walks. we have had 4 lots of 5 in a couple of hours each time.

so the question is, do you think the .243 is a night time, built up area, foxing round. im in two minds as to weather i need or want one. im running the trip2 as the moment but have the fancies. NJC's antics must be rubbing off on me. Problem is the .243 seams rather un-sociable at night.

Edited by activeviii

Nice shooting bud,

Can I ask what torch set up you have their

Its a t20 that I make new brass insides. New driver and new red led. Runs off a 18650 battery.

The beam can be focused with its fast turn thread so can go from flood to throw with a simple twist.

I only use these now. Sold all the lamps as these are just as good but heck of a lot lighter. Makes solo shooting a breeze.

Hope that helps

All the best

Phil

I can vouch for these torches, was out last night managed 4 rabbits and a fox..

Was using the hmr and no issues out to 100 meters or so..

Well shot!!!

Top Job, Glad it works for you. people ask the question on what sort of range and how do they compare with the 140/170 LF. i say its a different type of beam and it might not be for everyone but as yet, only one complaint, if you can call it that, and i will resolve that tomorrow with a replacement part being sent.

how are you finding it Archie1234?

Dont know how i would cope trying to carry the battery and lamp, plus shoot sticks and rifle. since the touch sits on the rifle and i use one to spot with i find i go out on my own a lot more.

I do often use the HMR at night if there are nearby houses.

On the subject of these T20 tourches from Activeiii . I shot a fox at 136 and another at 142 metres, using a rangefinder to confirm distance, using these torches on my .243. I was 100% clear on the target recognition through the scope. They both won the "Catch the bullet" test. :yes:

If its 30 cal its the wrong mod,if you fit the correct mod the hole in the front is smaller and quietens things down.I had a 30 call mod on my 243 and it was loud till I fitted the right mod and it definetly quieter.

+1 will be a lot better with a correct cal mod fitted, have an atec fitted on mine and find it to be excellent hardly wakes anyone up at all now :lol: .

I don't have any problems with using my .243 which is fitted with a custom moderator that I got from YDS either in the daytime or during night. Agreed that for anyone standing near to the rifle and shooter it does sound a little "antisocial" but if you stand about 20 yards away (As has already been said) it sounds completely different.As for the torches that Activeviii does - I have one that I was using on top of my .243 last night and had no problem clearly identifying and shooting a fox that was about 120 yards (Estimated and paced slightly uphill at 131 "reasonable sized" paces) I have also used the torch on my .222 and taken a couple of foxes out to about 150 yards and rabbits out to 100 yards.

Since changing over to the red cree torche from Activeviii I have to say that I would never dream of going back to a "standard" lamping setup with lamp, battery, switch and wiring dangling down!

I don't have any problems with using my .243 which is fitted with a custom moderator that I got from YDS either in the daytime or during night. Agreed that for anyone standing near to the rifle and shooter it does sound a little "antisocial" but if you stand about 20 yards away (As has already been said) it sounds completely different.As for the torches that Activeviii does - I have one that I was using on top of my .243 last night and had no problem clearly identifying and shooting a fox that was about 120 yards (Estimated and paced slightly uphill at 131 "reasonable sized" paces) I have also used the torch on my .222 and taken a couple of foxes out to about 150 yards and rabbits out to 100 yards.

Since changing over to the red cree torche from Activeviii I have to say that I would never dream of going back to a "standard" lamping setup with lamp, battery, switch and wiring dangling down!

Good to hear thanks Frenchieboy.

I think the standing to one side at a distance was what happened at the range because it did sound a lot better when i was back from the firing line. i run a 30cal mod on my 6.5 and that is alot quiter but then i am behind the gun..

I don't tend to use the .243 unless its needed, its a bit too loud for a foxing round un-moderated unless its needed for range / wind. Moderated its not anti social but does tend to draw attention to your activities if its multiple firings during waking hours.

I remember the first time I didn't hear a moderated .223 at night ( I said to myself there and then I am gonna have to add a smaller foxing gun)and I did

After over 30yrs of field shooting I am finding some hearing loss and now wear plugs when I can (yeah horse and stable doors). The problem is you never really hear the shot much when your firing it, the brain seems to block it out some- the damage is being done though!

Well done on the foxes BTW, keep hold of that gun long enough and you might learn to appreciate it on the deer to its full extent also!

I knew a keeper who was proud to tell me that he shot his unmoderated 220 Swift 'Off the wife's shoulder' on the quad bike when foxing (she used to drive, whilst he held the gun 'ready').

On looking closely at the said wife, she did look a little cross-eyed and twitchy :oops::oops: ......... I was assured that she wore a woolly hat for ear protection :sad1:

Even now, just thinking about it makes me shiver.