What's your bag limit?

wildfowler.250

What's your bag limit?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. How many geese per flight per gun?

• >10

Right, to open a can of worms.. what is your bag limit on geese? My max is 6 in a flight. Now, if I shoot 6 on a morning,(almost never happens) that would do me for a week or more. I could go out and shoot 3 flights of 2 geese each time and that comes to the same thing.

I don't mind having one good flight to make up for the numerous blanks that you inevitably get with proper wildfowling.

Would be interested to hear your views. Not an arguement. Just thought I would add this in light of the recent '700 bird week' thread.

ps I've finally found a use for old geese and that's to put them through the mincer. Makes them a lot easier to use as well.

Edited by wildfowler.250

I think 4 is plenty to take on a flight or day, if I did shoot 4 then the next visit may just be 1 or none at all. Its all dependant on how many times I go in the week really. I think it depends on a lot of things. Its a hard call to make, all depends on the circumstances I guess.

Edited by ayano3

This is a tough one as when you chase geese and I mean pinks there's not many days when everything comes together say you had been down 3 morning in a row had the geese overhead but 2 high then on the 4 morning the weather favour s you, do you shoot 3, 4, 5 , you never know it might be your last chance of the season . Me im happy with 5 no more

Martin

be lucky to shoot 6 in a season

well I got 25 last year. and there was probably a few 5's in that. so when you break it down there's a lot of 0 days too!

2 for me, but I only shoot Canadas. They go a long way between 2 of us :good:

they are heavy enough too! some pinks are just an oversized mallard

I think 4 is plenty to take on a flight or day, if I did shoot 4 then the next visit may just be 1 or none at all. Its all dependant on how many times I go in the week really. I think it depends on a lot of things. Its a hard call to make, all depends on the circumstances I guess.

tbh if i shot 4 i doubt i would be back out the next day either. ve just got 6 set as my definite limit

This is a tough one as when you chase geese and I mean pinks there's not many days when everything comes together say you had been down 3 morning in a row had the geese overhead but 2 high then on the 4 morning the weather favour s you, do you shoot 3, 4, 5 , you never know it might be your last chance of the season . Me im happy with 5 no more

Martin

thats my take on it too. tbh if you get 1 your happy as it is!

Same here 4-5 would be my max if i got any that was.

2 for me...but that's a weight to distance to walk calculation!

:good:

Like mongrel said, it depends how far you have to walk from marsh to car and if it is a Marsh a pond or a field, I would say that for a Marsh (3) its the perfect number for the rest maybe (5), in anycase I'm more than happy with one on the day.

Cant vote on this because it depends on circumstances so much. The most I have ever shot in one flight is four though, I never overshoot anything except real hazardous to health Vermin like Feral pigeon or rats- the limits depend on were ,when and most importantly why

my club has a limit of 4 of each type of bird, it can mean 4 of each goose and 4 of each duck but i wouldnt want to carry that many so id be happy with 2 geese or a maximum total of 4 plus a few ducks.. we have a six hour trip to our clubs grounds (3 hours each way) so it is nice to get a few.. sadly today we got naff all... but i had a nice day out with nice company so i dont mind

Edited by kiffy

Same here depends on where I am shooting. If by chance on some places I shoot if a goose cam over I don't think I would even shoot one. But when out where pinks are about and I can get off without crossing thick mud and a long walk 3-4 is my normal limit. Last year I did have 5 in a morning flight. I had shot 3 and then went for another but hit 2 with the one shot.

Well it's nice to see that there's not the 10 plus group voting on here. They seem to mainly reside in the sporting pictures section...

Thought you didn't want an argument. A lot of the big goose bags are taken inland or on places were they are of particular nuisance.

I don't set my self bag limits, had the best night I have ever had on duck tonight we took 18 between 3 of us. Probably won't be shooting duck again this year and if it wasn't for the need to get picked up before dark would of shot more. They were still coming in really well and was nice to see.

A cracking mixed bag of duck, and no nothing will got waste.

Karpman

I voted 6. That would be the amount I may shoot on the shore, given the chance. I shared a bag of 14 last year with a mate ( decoying greys and Canadas inland) and could have shot more. We only shot that many because we had some friends that wanted some geese for Christmas.

I can remember pretty much every goose that I've ever shot.