'rfd' a gun

grousemoor

The RFD just acts as a PO box would, and has nothing to do with the deal, I think you would have to pay for the gun before it was sent to your RFD, and if you don`t like it you would be entitled to your money back under the `Distance Selling regs, I think the time limit is 7 days from recipe, you would however have to pay your RFD and possibly the sellers RFD to send it back.

I think you would be better off going to a dealer/shop to buy a gun.

Best thing is agree with the seller beforehand any fees he will charge if you decide you don't want it, he can't refuse the return as said above distance selling regs come into force.

In an ideal world you would.

Pay for gun and shipping costs.

Pay accepting RFD whatever money he charges.

Then if you don't want the gun you pay your RFD to send the gun back and hopefully the original RFD you purchased from won't charge you anything for accepting back.

Obviously the 2 things you need to know are is your RFD going to charge admin to return ontop of postage charge and is the seller going to accept back with no admin charge.

Good luck.

i allways like to see the gun befor buying it, dont like rfd

I completely agree, but if you are in the middle nowhere and the local shops don't have what you want you have no choice.

I have rfd'd quite a few guns selling and buying and never had any trouble.

I bought a gun from Avalon last week I received the gun from my rfd the next day. I talked to them about returns and they would not charge their end but my rfd would charge me £25 to send it back. I should add the gun is great and is not going back and great service from Avalon Guns.

After you work out the costs of receiving the gun via RFD & without seeing the gun it's not worth the risk or the bother, I speak from experience done it once but never again.

It can be worth it but I don't think it usually makes sense for the run of the mill stuff. If it's something rare, unusual, at a very low price, or something very specific that you simply can't do without, then fair enough but most of the time I can't see the point.

Having something shipped between RFD's will commonly increase the price by £80+ and if there is a problem further down the line you will have to get it back to the seller for him to sort.

J.

Having something shipped between RFD's will commonly increase the price by £80+ and if there is a problem further down the line you will have to get it back to the seller for him to sort.

J.

£80! £25 to send £10-£25 to receive (£50) is rough rates some are £40 to send but shop around if selling and if buying why not ring some gun shops near the seller and ask for a quote?

If buying from a dealer i wouldn't expect to pay for them to send as it only costs them £10-15 with TNT and they are selling a gun....... commission sale might be different

£80! £25 to send £10-£25 to receive (£50) is rough rates some are £40 to send but shop around if selling and if buying why not ring some gun shops near the seller and ask for a quote?

If buying from a dealer i wouldn't expect to pay for them to send as it only costs them £10-15 with TNT and they are selling a gun....... commission sale might be different

I have never to memory been charged by a dealer to have a gun sent to me they have always included it in the negotiated price. The gun I just bought from Avalon cost me £20 for the paperwork at my rfd total.

have had quotes to send varying from £25 to £55, one RFD has 2 shops, was £25 at one, £35 at the other, one place told me it costs them £10 for the courier, another that their carrier was parcelforce, was also told by someone that guns can only be sent via 24 hour delivery, not 48 hour, asked also about if it went missing in transit, the insurance cover was up to £25,000

I think, if the charge is over £25 they just don't want the hassle of doing it

I have just had one sent it will cost me £35 to collect it at this end having already paid for the gun. I could get it cheaper but I don't like going to places that don't want to do it.

It is a gamble what ever way you look at it having never seen or fired the gun,we will see what's in the box lol ;)

I have known some dealers that are willing to ship to your rfd without full payment but it will cost you to send it back if you don't want it.

Welcome to the world of buying firearms, it's a big expensive **** sandwich, but every now and again you get a bit of sweetcorn to cheer you up ;)

have had quotes to send varying from £25 to £55, one RFD has 2 shops, was £25 at one, £35 at the other, one place told me it costs them £10 for the courier, another that their carrier was parcelforce, was also told by someone that guns can only be sent via 24 hour delivery, not 48 hour, asked also about if it went missing in transit, the insurance cover was up to £25,000

I think, if the charge is over £25 they just don't want the hassle of doing it

OK, the only carries that can carry firearms AFAIK Parcel force and TNT both require the sender to be an accountholder the GTA have a deal with TNT, the Parcelforce deal is BASC trade i think prices are similar with both £10-15 for the trade. Happy to pay the costs and a decent profit, but not 300%

Edited by HDAV

My estimate was based on each RFD charging £30 with carriage at around £25 these days with ParcelForce. There will be a variance in those prices but when pricing something from a distant seller £80 is a reasonable rule of thumb.

J.

OK, the only carries that can carry firearms AFAIK Parcel force and TNT both require the sender to be an accountholder the GTA have a deal with TNT, the Parcelforce deal is BASC trade i think prices are similar with both £10-15 for the trade. Happy to pay the costs and a decent profit, but not 300%

Royal Mail can carry firearms. They will try to tell you they can't but that isn't true. It is perfectly legal for a private individual to post section 1 or 2 firearms to a RFD.

J.

RFD transfers have their uses but there are only guides and generalisations as to how they work, you will need to specifically ask all these questions to all parties involved, and it can be expensive.

Obviously Cornwall to Scotland (for example) is a long way, but when it comes to guns I am prepared to travel a LONG way to see and handle for myself, it would have to be very special for that distance though!

Royal Mail can carry firearms. They will try to tell you they can't but that isn't true. It is perfectly legal for a private individual to post section 1 or 2 firearms to a RFD.

J.

What ANY carrier can legally do is not necessarily the same as what they will do, if they decide NOT to carry Firearms and that is their policy/company rule, there is nothing you can do, except complain!

What ANY carrier can legally do is not necessarily the same as what they will do, if they decide NOT to carry Firearms and that is their policy/company rule, there is nothing you can do, except complain!

I'll rephrase; Royal Mail do and must carry firearms. They might tell otherwise though.

J.