Shooting over a road

spandit

Theoretical question whilst I gaze out of my first floor window, waiting for my licence, but there is a field over the lane. I'm aware of the 50' restriction, which applies if someone would be inconvenienced etc. but would there be anything legally stopping me firing down into the field opposite (assuming I had permission from the landowner)? There's good visibility either side so you wouldn't be shooting over road users and being elevated, there's good backstop...

I'm also going to be shooting quite near the road but directly away from it. With a moderated .22 I doubt anyone the other side of the fence will even notice but I'll have to be a bit more careful with the higher calibres. Might draw a 50' line anyway to satisfy those who might interpret the law a little differently.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

H'mm interesting, initial response is DO NOT (I know its a hypothetical question).

You may have/get permission to shoot the land and will certainly have your own permission to shoot on your own property but.......the round be it air or powder will be leaving your property before it gets on to your next permission, I believe this is not allowed.

Its all very well saying there is good visibility but when your glued to a scope how much are you going to see ? Personally I would not.

There will be more knowledgeable members on soon.

Theoretical question whilst I gaze out of my first floor window, waiting for my licence, but there is a field over the lane. I'm aware of the 50' restriction, which applies if someone would be inconvenienced etc. but would there be anything legally stopping me firing down into the field opposite (assuming I had permission from the landowner)? There's good visibility either side so you wouldn't be shooting over road users and being elevated, there's good backstop...

I'm also going to be shooting quite near the road but directly away from it. With a moderated .22 I doubt anyone the other side of the fence will even notice but I'll have to be a bit more careful with the higher calibres. Might draw a 50' line anyway to satisfy those who might interpret the law a little differently.

you say your waiting for your license ???

You should have asked your fao about shooting over roads :). Don't think you would ever have received a license after asking this though....

I presume the OP thought long and hard before posting the question. He should think long and hard as to whether he is cut out for shooting.

best not wind him up 2 much Gordy reading his other posts he plans on buying the mod out when his license arrives he already owns a Russian tank :). :). :) keeping a low profile on this thread , I'm nipping for the popcorn.... Edited by delburt0

just responded to this question but had to read again as Im bemused ( it's got to be a wind up )

just responded to this question but had to read again as Im bemused ( it's got to be a wind up )

Thought ????????????? If not a wind up could it be someone wanting to get a "yea go for it response" for others to capitalise on ...just asking

I was told by the BASC firearms chap that it is technically legal to shoot across a road if you have authority to shoot both sides as long as the requirement to not injure, interrupt or endanger road users is observed but I think he was referring to shooting birds in the sky where the spent shot would land on the other side rather than firing bullets over it. Whether it would be wise is another thing entirely.

As far as shooting over a road is concerned......

Even the anti shooting lobby at "animalaid" state in their "How to Oppose Shooting" publication:

"Shooting across a public highway is not an

offence unless a road user is interrupted,
endangered or injured but it may amount
to the civil offence of nuisance."
I find things a bit confusing. My understanding was that a bullet should not leave the boundary of the land on which you have permission to shoot.
Assuming that you do not have the permission of the County Council, who are generally the statutory owners of the land occupied by a highway, to shoot on the road or its verges then surely you are breaking the law if the bullet leaves the land on which you do have permission and enters their land on which you do not have permission, even if it ends up on another bit of land the other side of the road on which you do have permission.
A farmer may own the land either side of a road but he does not own the road or the land between the road and whatever can be described as a boundary (fence, hedge, ditch....)
Maybe someone can enlighten us here.

As far as shooting over a road is concerned......

Even the anti shooting lobby at "animalaid" state in their "How to Oppose Shooting" publication:

"Shooting across a public highway is not an

offence unless a road user is interrupted,
endangered or injured but it may amount
to the civil offence of nuisance."
I find things a bit confusing. My understanding was that a bullet should not leave the boundary of the land on which you have permission to shoot.
Assuming that you do not have the permission of the County Council, who are generally the statutory owners of the land occupied by a highway, to shoot on the road or its verges then surely you are breaking the law if the bullet leaves the land on which you do have permission and enters their land on which you do not have permission, even if it ends up on another bit of land the other side of the road on which you do have permission.
A farmer may own the land either side of a road but he does not own the road or the land between the road and whatever can be described as a boundary (fence, hedge, ditch....)
Maybe someone can enlighten us here.

+1

Thank you for some of the reasoned responses, it wasn't a wind up (and it's Austrian, not Russian) just a discussion point. As has been pointed out, it's not necessarily an offence and I did point out it was hypothetical.

I would add that, road aside, my view and backdrop is far greater from the upstairs window than most places on the ground. As it happens, I haven't got permission to shoot there anyway and don't intend to. I'd be interested in the legal interpretation of a bullet leaving one permission and landing in another, passing overhead a non-permission

I presume the OP thought long and hard before posting the question. He should think long and hard as to whether he is cut out for shooting.

You are obviously unaware of how the Internet works. This can't be the daftest question ever posted on here (shooting pigeons off telegraph wires?) but thank you for your concern

You gotta give it to the guy he has chutzpah.

Just standing my ground. I'd hoped for a more reasoned response than the scolding I received, but it does appear there is some disagreement here. Might put that in my signature...

On a point of law, all the legislation I can find points to air guns, although some brief research found reference to trespass. Safety issues aside, I'm not convinced that a bullet passing over land without touching it counts as trespass - you might say the same about an aircraft - wouldn't want one landing in my garden, but it's not an offence to fly over it (albeit over 500' AGL). Obviously, the poster who enquired about shooting across my garden wouldn't discharge the shot if I was walking through the line of fire (or maybe he would after reading this thread :D)