barbour jackets

millrace

Just go to scats or something. If you are spending a wedge on a decent coat then pay a shade more for the comeback.

I speak from experiance, I bought a sealand keeper jacket from scats. 3 months later and a fair bit of wear the zip stitching came loose. Took it back and they just handed me a new jacket.

Now you wouldn't get that service online !

Bought a Seeland Woodcock jacket yesterday ready for my first day out today. Can't fault it. Standing in the pouring rain all buttoned up and I was perfectly happy. It is also very long, well passed my ****.

It was priced at 149.99 in the shop which I thought was a fair price, when I took it to the counter the lady said she'd do it for £130 and I didn't even ask!!

JF

Think I`d try anything before the rubbish Barbour make nowadays !

No, try them ,they still do the originals and are great, posted this a while back on this thread,http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/256154-barbour-wax-coats/?hl=barbour

Don't care what anyone else says i love my Barbour,my first was a Northumbria bought in the Falklands in the 80's and worn to death,loved it until i became to big(fat) for it, i still slipped it on to walk the dog just couldn't zip it up,about 4 years ago i suddenly realised it had disappeared and my wife finally admitted it had gone to Barbour heaven,she said it didn't fit me and it stank(she did have a valid point) and there were holes everywhere so i let it go.

Then a while later a Barbour trooper in sandstone came into my life,oh how happy we are, we take every opportunity to be together,it is nice and light with a collar that wraps around my neck,big expandable pockets for carts, string,dog bags,whistles,knife,torches and even a couple of chokes in one of the pockets.Who cares if it changes shades in the warm weather it gives it character,and if you are hot it has a great heat ventilation system,a zip,up is warm down is cool,undone is cooler.

There are better and more efficient and probably cheaper,but oh how i love my Barbour. :good:

No, try them ,they still do the originals and are great, posted this a while back on this thread,http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/256154-barbour-wax-coats/?hl=barbour

Don't care what anyone else says i love my Barbour,my first was a Northumbria bought in the Falklands in the 80's and worn to death,loved it until i became to big(fat) for it, i still slipped it on to walk the dog just couldn't zip it up,about 4 years ago i suddenly realised it had disappeared and my wife finally admitted it had gone to Barbour heaven,she said it didn't fit me and it stank(she did have a valid point) and there were holes everywhere so i let it go.

Then a while later a Barbour trooper in sandstone came into my life,oh how happy we are, we take every opportunity to be together,it is nice and light with a collar that wraps around my neck,big expandable pockets for carts, string,dog bags,whistles,knife,torches and even a couple of chokes in one of the pockets.Who cares if it changes shades in the warm weather it gives it character,and if you are hot it has a great heat ventilation system,a zip,up is warm down is cool,undone is cooler.

There are better and more efficient and probably cheaper,but oh how i love my Barbour. :good:

I just got a Trooper... Excellent jacket.

I just got a Trooper... Excellent jacket.

They are fantastic,shooting walking the dog,even hiking in Scotland it is just the best jacket,pockets full of junk(all needed at times) and accepted while walking round the supermarket with the wife,it a jacket for all occasions :good::lol::lol: ,

I'm a Barbour fan or should I say was. I went into the Chester Barbour shop today and was really disappointed. They seem cheap and heavy on fashion rather than practical durability nowadays.

You should have bought one years ago when they were at the top of their game.

We have four old ones at home!

Three Berwick Endurance coats is a fair trial I would think ! None of them do what they`re supposed to and the new stuff

is , as others have said,more like the product of a fashion house.

Iv had a Barbour dunmore fleece for a few years now, its like wearing a wind/waterproof duvet !!!

Been sat out on the marsh a number of times in freezing torrential rain, coat kept me warm and has never let a drop of rain in.

I wouldn't recommend wearing it beating though........ Way too warm !!!

There's a couple of points here.

Barbour widened their range out to appeal beyond the likes of us who buy a new coat every decade. We're not very commercial (by which I mean big spenders), whereas the fashion crowd update their "look" every season, and accordingly spend more! Barbour do, however, still make their traditional clothing, but you have to look for it: I went into their Spitalfields shop on Friday, wearing my Border coat by the way, and couldn't find a single similar item. They stock a range named "Gunroom," perhaps lumberjack would be better...

Have you tried the factory shop in South Shields or their outlet village shops, all of which carry (obviously) original stock?

Three Berwick Endurance coats is a fair trial I would think ! None of them do what they`re supposed to and the new stuff

is , as others have said,more like the product of a fashion house.

To be fair, you tried the same (floored) item three times.

A farmer acquaintance bought the same coat three seasons ago, as the wax coats were too sweaty for early season shooting. The Berwick leaked like a sieve and was consigned to the bottomless coat cupboard, never to be seen again...

I love my Barbour jacket!

It's the "lutz"which basically is like the trooper except without the chest pockets. I was deterred from getting the trooper for that reason, as I was worried about the pockets catching on the butt of my gun when mounting it.

It is a slightly more contemporary design and cut from the more classic style Borders jacket, etc, but it's warm and waterproof.

By the way, John lewis stock the "border", the "Bristol" and other more original Barbour wax jacket designs. ;-)

To be fair, you tried the same (floored) item three times.

A farmer acquaintance bought the same coat three seasons ago, as the wax coats were too sweaty for early season shooting. The Berwick leaked like a sieve and was consigned to the bottomless coat cupboard, never to be seen again...

I have tried a lightweight Schoffel and it has been a revelation,it does what its supposed to !

Edited by matone

I have tried a lightweight Schoffel and it has been a revelation,it does what its supposed to !

Yeah, but its German :lol:

Buy British - the lightweight Barbour shooting jackets are pretty comfy and warm - I recently bought one myself.

http://www.barbour.com/All-Collections/Mens/Waterproof-Jackets/c/mens-waterproofjackets?breadcrumbs=mens&breadcrumbs=mens-sporting

I have a Barbour Border, 10 years old, does what it says on the tin. I've rewaxed it once, still as good as the day I bought it. I have a hood, which I hate but I hate all hoods (much prefer my Tilley hat), actually its very good, a liner which comes and goes according to season and a matching scarf which itches like anything being wool.

I also own a P J Field wax jacket, about 15 years old. Much lighter than the Barbour so more suited to summer. Amazing jacket, the lining is falling apart but I just can't bring myself to part with it. Their kit is superb if difficult to find.