Advise for 1st. Air Rifle for vermin control.

nagantino

Hi,

I've been shooting shotguns and rifles for years. I shoot wood pigeon over decoys and shoot DTL most months, also I shoot Sporting Rifle with SMLE and CZ 550 so I know my way around a gun. My wife's work place is plagued by feral pigeon entering the building and they asked her could i deal with the problem. They will pay also. I have never owned an air rifle so I was wondering what advise you might offer for this type of shooting.

A buddy bottle PCP, Theoben Rapid or similar is what I'd go for, perhaps in .177 or .20 for pigeon

What???? a top of the range PCP MEGA MONEY supergun??

Id look at any legal limit springer, ideally a HW, possibly a Webley or maybe a BSA, any legal limit gun of any calibre will kill a pigeon if you hit it in the right place.

Look at HW95, 80, 77/97, 57 webley exocet/stingray (Birmingham made guns are best) Airarms tx200 all good honest guns, id avoid chinese/turkish stuff, youll get more back from a decent one if you buy S/H.

Stick a basic scope on 4x40 maybe, and see how much you use/enjoy it.

Then buy a rapid :yes:

Pretty much as above. It all depends on budget but an Air Arms and Weihrauch spring powered rifle will be perfect. If you shop around you'll get a decent rifle second hand for £200 that will outlast you.

Personally for ferals in buildings I would go for .22 as you don't want to go clean through the birds but .177 for anything else.

Just to further explain. I live In N. Ireland and as far as I know all air powered guns must be on a FAC but it also means the guns are full power.

.22 for sure then, and for close range ferals in a barn then flat headed pellets to impart maximum enegy without over penetrating and damaging the roof.

That's a tricky one, you don't need buckets of power for ferals I know some pest controllers (that's what I do) that use de tuned guns in buildings running at 8-9 ftlb to try and reduce damage to roofs etc.

But I suppose if everything is on ticket you might struggle to find 12 ftlb guns over there?

Have a look round, it all depends on your budget. But you wouldn't go wrong with a decent springer.

Millions of people have killed millions of pigeons with them

Ha lol falconFN knows his beans!

Mate for what you need it for and it pains me to say I would go and by a hatsan striker.

100 quid fit somes scopes 40 quid a torch of some description and get knocking em down.

There not the hardest of quarry to take care and if you don't use the rifle much after you got a cheap plinker.

Karpman

Falcon's on the money with this. If a springer's out (which it might be anyway if there really are a lot of them and you want to get big bags in one day) then you're better off looking at a 12ft/lb .22 PCP. Something like an AAS410 would do the job or, something really compact, like a BSA Ultra SE, or SuperTen (check the output of these though, they can run @ 32ft/lb which will go straight through the pigeon and anything else behind it!), or the Falcon Lighthunter. A nice compact gun is great for work in and around buildings. the downside there would be small shot capacity (except the buddy bottled SuperTen). But you really don't need to spend mega bucks on it!

How bad is that arm? You can cock a lot of break barrel guns real easy. I do a Lot of Ferals in Barns and as long as the ranges are under 30 yds I shoot them in the body with a 12ft lb .22 air rifle, knowing the best place for the shot to enter from various angles is quite handy to achieve good one shot bang, flop kills. The Old Lazer glide HW80 I use can be cocked holding the barrel with only my little finger holding it

If you did go PCP why not look to a variable power version? The old MK1 Rapid is a simple turn screw but other more recent designs have multiple and simple staged power setting options. Too much power is far worse than too little on Feral jobs in building imo. That said some buildings are really massive but still I doubt you will need the SMLE.

Simple scope as mentioned, cheap robust springer and a pocket full of pellets will clear out a lot of pigeons. At night with the exits closed its very much a job of work counting the birds by the wheel barrow load

What's your budget for one?

Rapids are seriously robust and accurate but expensive.

Air arms are very good but (I probably be shot down for this) feel quite delicate.

Iv had some seriously good BSAs and a couple of really **** ones.

Hw100 in its various guises good but dear.

What about a BSA scorpion in .25 doing about 15 ftlb now that would superb on rats and ferals!

Depends on your budget bud?

If money is no option then I will always advise to purchase a nice PCP rifle.

There are good gunmakers out there tbh but my choice are Daystate Rifles!!

Daystate provide superb quality rifles that come with Daystate's excellent Customer Service!!

A Daystate Huntsman Classic,Huntsman Regal, Air Ranger or the new Wolverine rifle all fit the bill with outstanding accuracy!

Ok these rifles are not cheap but you get what you pay for at the end of the day!

ATB in whatever you choose.

Just to further explain. I live In N. Ireland and as far as I know all air powered guns must be on a FAC but it also means the guns are full power.

I'm not sure what that means but you are better with the likes of 12ft lb for many jobs inside buildings, higher power air rifles can often be too much for many internal applications.

I do a fair number of pigeon jobs in barns, factories, offices, shops, supermarkets, car parks, etc and its not often my FAC air comes out. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Pleasantly surprised with how I could cock the rifle last week. It looks like an effort but I found that by hitting the barrel and then pulling the barrel down it was quiet easy. I've never really explored the Air Rifle world but the more I ask the more convinced i am that I will purchase a spring rifle. And yes your right, I can use my right arm.

Well really!

just going back to your first post, if your shooting for your wifes firm, they will probably want to see insurance, and if you have the basic BASC or SACS insurance, it becomes null and void if you take money from the pest control, to charge for the job you'll need a different full public liability, you can still get it with BASC, but its a little more than the norm