whats the dangers of going over 12lbs

mshadowsky

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From reading your post, for you to get a FAC you will need to do some reading up first. You need a clear understanding of how a bullet is going to behave after it's left your gun before they will consider you. Have a good read of the posts on here for a few weeks, that should help you get the basics. DO NOT try to overpower your gun without a FAC, the law will kick your *** in a big way if you're caught :blush:

You need reason

You need good character

You need no serious trouble with the fuzz

You need to be of sound mental ability

You need to fill out a FAC application and send it to the police

You need to pay £50 for the application

You need a safe to store it in

You need to be 14 or over to hold a FAC

You need to be 14 or over to receive the gift of a Section 1 firearm

You need to be 17 or over to purchase a section 1 firearm

You cannot modify a airgun to produce more than 12 ft/lbs if you dont hold a FAC (but even then I'm not sure about that)

You will get arrested if caught with one without a FAC

You will get a lengthy jail term

You will get a hefty fine

Read that: http://www.met.police.uk/firearms-enquiries/

I overheard a conversation between a gunshop owner and the owner of a precharged pneumatic airgun.

The owner of the airgun was told not to worry about the fact that when he chronoed his gun it was making 12.3Ftlb using bissely magnums.

Th shop owner also said that if you use a heavy pellet in a precharged airgun you get more foot poundage

And that if you use a lighter pellet in a spring gun you get more foot poundage.

Shurley the action in the airgun and how the pressure is built up within it wont have a effect on how much energy it kicks out.

This mans gun was 0.3Ftlb's over the limit, this is such a small amount but would the police still make him reduce the energy in his airgun or still confiscate it, after all this is such a smalll amount ?

I overheard a conversation between a gunshop owner and the owner of a precharged pneumatic airgun.

The owner of the airgun was told not to worry about the fact that when he chronoed his gun it was making 12.3Ftlb using bissely magnums.

Th shop owner also said that if you use a heavy pellet in a precharged airgun you get more foot poundage

And that if you use a lighter pellet in a spring gun you get more foot poundage.

Shurley the action in the airgun and how the pressure is built up within it wont have a effect on how much energy it kicks out.

This mans gun was 0.3Ftlb's over the limit, this is such a small amount but would the police still make him reduce the energy in his airgun or still confiscate it, after all this is such a smalll amount ?

I would have thought that if you were 0.3 over the 12 limit the police wouldnt be too harsh as its more likely down to the pellet type and the gun itself.

On the otherhand if your rifle is pumping out 18ft lbs that says that something has been altered to the gun to produce that sort of power.

If they take the gun and chrono it they will do so first with any pellets you have there, and probably with others too - if it comes out more than 12 they have a decision to make.

My general theory in life is not giving people decisions to make :yes:

I would have thought that if you were 0.3 over the 12 limit the police wouldnt be too harsh as its more likely down to the pellet type and the gun itself.

On the otherhand if your rifle is pumping out 18ft lbs that says that something has been altered to the gun to produce that sort of power.

In my opinion if a gun is producing more that 12ftlbs it is illegal (unless owning an FAC), there is a legal LIMIT for a reason, police should not be forgiving, they should be enforcing law

If someone said that they stole food from a shop becasue they were hungry the police would still enforce, i dont see any reason why they should forgive someone for having an over limit airgun, at the end of the day it is your fault if the rifle is over limit.

In my opinion if a gun is producing more that 12ftlbs it is illegal (unless owning an FAC), there is a legal LIMIT for a reason, police should not be forgiving, they should be enforcing law

If someone said that they stole food from a shop becasue they were hungry the police would still enforce, i dont see any reason why they should forgive someone for having an over limit airgun, at the end of the day it is your fault if the rifle is over limit.

I know 12ft lbs is the legal limit here but at the end of the day air weapons are manufactured to produce around that mark. if the police chronographed it and it came at 12.5 what are you going to do? there Is alot of aspects which could affect the mussle energy.

Whats i was trying to point out was that if the police came upto me and chronographed my rifle and got 12.5ft/lbs that to me says that its something to do with either the gun or the pellet.

yet

if they had tested and i got 18. that would look like i been fiddling with a screwdriver intentially trying to get more power out of it

Whats i was trying to point out was that if the police came upto me and chronographed my rifle and got 12.5ft/lbs that to me says that its something to do with either the gun or the pell

gun or pellet still the owners fault.

Law is law yes,

depends how your local cop see's it

From memory an air rifle taken over 12 ft/lbs automatically becomes a section 1 firearm.

Illegal posession of a firearm carries a mandatory minimun prison sentence of 5 years. Put simply it aint worth the risk.

webber

If you are giving out information, try to get it right. An over 12 ft/lb air rifle is a section one firearm. Section one firearms DO NOT carry a mandatory 5 year jail sentence, however prohibited section five firearms do.

to be safe, get you air rifle crono'd and ensure it is under 12 ft/lbs.

You need reason

You need good character

You need no serious trouble with the fuzz

You need to be of sound mental ability

You need to fill out a FAC application and send it to the police

You need to pay £50 for the application

You need a safe to store it in

You need to be 14 or over to hold a FAC

You need to be 14 or over to receive the gift of a Section 1 firearm

You need to be 17 or over to purchase a section 1 firearm

You cannot modify a airgun to produce more than 12 ft/lbs if you dont hold a FAC (but even then I'm not sure about that)

You will get arrested if caught with one without a FAC

You will get a lengthy jail termYou will get a hefty fine

Read that: http://www.met.police.uk/firearms-enquiries/

Being caught with posession of a section one air rifle with out a FAC is not an arrestible offence.

it is unlikely you will get a lengthy jail term unless you were comitting serious crime with your gun

Thanks to the BASC website, I think that the following proves my point and information previously given.

So,:yes:?:yes:?:lol:?, if you are going to give out information or attemt to riddicule others, at least try to get it right.

Offences and maximum penalties applicable to misuse of airguns under the Firearms Acts 1968 – 1997, Licensing Act 1872, Offences Against the Person Act 1861, Prevention of Crime Act 1953, Criminal Damage Act 1971, Highways Act 1980, Town Police Clauses Act 1847, and the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

Offence

Maximum Penalty - imprisonment

Maximum Penalty -fine

Drunk in charge of a loaded firearm

One month

£200

Murder

Life

Wounding/Grievous bodily harm

Life

£ unlimited

Threats to kill

Ten years

£ unlimited

Offensive weapon in a public place

4 years

£ unlimited

Manslaughter

Life

£ unlimited

Actual bodily harm

Two years

£ unlimited

Common assault

Ten years

£ unlimited

Criminal damage

Ten Years

£ 5,000

Having anything in his custody or control intending to use it to cause criminal damage

Ten years

£ 5,000

Possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life or injure property

Ten years

£ unlimited

Possessing a firearm with intent to cause fear of unlawful violence

Ten years

£ unlimited

Using firearm to resist arrest

Life

£ unlimited

Prohibited person possessing firearm or ammunition

Five years

£ unlimited

Possession of firearm with intent to commit an offence

Life

£ unlimited

Carrying loaded firearm in a public place

Seven years

£ unlimited

Trespassing with firearm in building/on land

Seven years

£ unlimited

Person under seventeen acquiring firearm

Six months

£ 5,000

Person under 14 possessing air gun or ammunition

£ 1,000

Person under 17 having air weapon in a public place

£ 1,000

Person under 14 making improper use of airgun when under supervision

£1,000

Adult supervisor of person under 14 making improper use of an airgun

£1,000

Selling a firearm (includes airgun) to a person under 17

Six months

£5,000

Supplying air weapon to person under 14

£1,000

Failure to hand over firearm or ammunition to a constable for examination

£ 1,000

Discharging a firearm within fifty feet of the centre of a highway causing injury, interruption or danger

£ 1,000

Discharging a firearm within fifty feet of the centre of a highway causing damage

£ 1,000

Wantonly discharging firearm in a street

14 days

£ 1,000

At the time of arrest for scheduled offence has in his possession a firearm or imitation without lawful object

Life

£ unlimited

Ill-treat or cause unecessary suffering to any animal

6 months

£5,000

Aggravated burglary

Life

Kill, injure any wild animal under Schedule 5 Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981

£1,000

Supply